DiRT Rally 2.0 Codemasters Tease New Happenings In DiRT Franchise

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have published a cryptic teaser about something interesting upcoming within the DiRT franchise...

Taking to Twitter earlier today, the British development studio have been busy teasing about the future of the DiRT franchise - but does it relate to DiRT Rally, or the more arcade offering of the DiRT series...

Interesting times ahead it sounds like, couple it be a new game, a substantial update to an existing release, the first fruits of the collaboration with Slightly Mad Studios or something entirely different... only time will tell.

The community letter in full can be read below:

From a simple ‘2.0’ in late 2018, to the game’s launch in early 2019, through four Seasons of epic content, and onto the Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack and Game of the Year Edition, DiRT Rally 2.0 has been an incredible journey that we’ve been on with you, our passionate rally and rallycross community.
As a team, we set out to create the definitive rally and rallycross experience for you, both in terms of what you can experience, and how you experience it. None of that would be possible without the support of you, the players, not just by playing DiRT Rally 2.0, but having the passion and willingness to be part of a true gaming community. You work with us to keep the game moving forward with patches, updates and improvements built around your feedback.
From everyone who has contributed to DiRT Rally 2.0 here at Codemasters, we simply say: thank you for driving with us.
Whilst there are no plans for additional Seasons for DiRT Rally 2.0, some minor updates and surprises are planned. At this stage, the Rally team is now focusing on the future. By no means are we saying this is “the end” for DiRT Rally 2.0. Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges live on, Clubs are stronger than ever and you have plenty of esports action to look forward to.
Nothing’s moving in terms of your usual hangout spaces (the Forums, the fan-made Discord, Reddit, YouTube, Twitter) and your support team for DiRT Rally 2.0 are still very much here to help.
Prepare to see something new roar to life in the world of DiRT, very soon. Developed by a separate Codemasters studio to the DiRT Rally team, we’re incredibly excited about what’s around the corner. We invite you to be part of a brand new experience, while also continuing to enjoy our definitive Rally offering.
As for the future of DiRT Rally? Well… we have a few things in mind. We have big plans, driven by a passionate development team, solely tasked with taking the Rally series to even greater heights. You won’t hear about that for a while, but when you do... oh boy, will you be excited for what’s coming.
Whether it’s our latest game soon to be revealed, or what comes next for Rally, we are incredibly excited to continue making DiRT the franchise for everything we all love about off-road racing.
“If in doubt... FLAT OUT”
-the team at Codemasters

Original Source: Codemasters

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available now on both console and PC.

Having issues with the game? No worries - start a thread in the Dirt Rally 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our super knowledgeable community help you out.

Codemasters DiRT Teaser.jpg

Wow.. an announcement is made of a new game being worked on and people get mad? Come on now... if you don’t like a new game just don’t buy it and move on, no?

Crazy Huh! 1st world problems... I mean really all these experts on Sim games yet none of them ever made one. I'm happy to know our niche game interest continues. I didn't like Dirt 4 at all, but I never whined like a baby!

Always love the manchildren on this forum popping up from the woodwork.

"No VR waaaah, no ultrasuperduper tyre model waaaaah, Codemasters DLC expensive even though I spend 1200$ on gear built by some twat in a shed WAAAAAAH"

Imagine how better the world would be if this COVID 19 virus targeted elitist simracers :roflmao:

Oooh, come now. If that happened, who else would you have to spew your constant toxicity at throughout the forums?

Hey, you get to complain about others, they get to complain about what matters to them. It's a wonderful place, isn't it?

Perhaps if you had something more insightful to offer the discussion, rather than the usual, "I hate everyone that complains about things that don't matter to me", you'd come across as, I don't know, less of an arse?

Probably not but.

Indeed, was about to say that actually. A great stage generator with lot of tiles/variation would be possible. By building on the groundwork laid with Dirt 4. Just more tiles, way more. Would be beneficial to players. But not beneficial to Codemasters.

I love the idea of "procedural generation" overall. Gotta give credit to games that do that well. But it's not perhaps the most lucrative strategy, so perhaps it's not getting as much focus/development effort as it could, overall. In other game genres too.

Maybe procedural generation would be much further than we have now, (studios like Rockstar putting all their talent into developing procedural systems) if it was lucrative for developers. But they focus on DLC plans instead

Just imagine Dirt 4, where they would have (instead of abandoning a leaking ship) fixed the physics, then keep adding tiles (for free) with the same enthusiasm they have for releasing re-warmed DLC. The indie sim developer approach. Wanting to perfect your product year after year (like Assetto Corsa etc), and then hope it sells even more... simply because it ends up being so good. Sadly we don't have anything like that for Rally genre

When they moved on from Dirt 4 they said that the procedural generator would be dropped for DR2.0. But development wouldn't stop for it. And it would make a return sooner or later.
The biggest mistake i think they did was make the hexagon tiles so big. A tile could have 2 or even 3 turns on it. Making the sections recognizable, but also making the scenery more beautiful, handcrafted. Fixing this is not easy, as they'll need to make procedural generated roadside objects. That span different sections of small pieces of road stitched together. Basicly next to the road, flat gras, a ditch, a cliff down, a fence on the flat gras, a wall, a rocky cliff going up or a hill. All while placing houses or trees on it. And all this has to connect seemlessly to next section all the time in all the configurations.

Why am I completely unsurprised that this entire topic is joyless boomers mad that Codemasters might dare make a game that isn't a full-on sim?

I love sims, but sim racers are the most insufferable people on the planet. If you people actually cared about a turbonerd rally sim you'd turn off DR2 and just play RBR again. Codemasters was not, is not, and will never be a 100% sim studio.
Maybe because we are on a sim site? Arcade forums with teenagers get really crazy if theres any mention of sims. Mostly its because the teens think their arcade game IS a sim tho because the graphics is so realistic. :D

Let me explain how silly Dirt 2 can be at times.

I was doing a time trial recently, can't remember where, Australia maybe or NZ. Had a spin that pushed me off the track a few yards. As I came back on I hit one of those small plastic (ahem) sort of paddle marker cone things. Like a small marker cone, flat thing.

It then got stuck to the grille at the front and I literally had to change down to accelerate again. I then just though let's see how pathetic this is? So carried on and could not even get into 3rd gear as the car was moving as if a small elephant was now sat on the front end.

You can make things as pretty as you want, charge people a fortune for old content, use the worse online system ever devised for any games ever, and people will still buy your games as they are sheep, easily led and will buy anything new, glitzy and they will all believe the hype. Look at Dirt 4, the WMD games, etc etc and the pre release deals that were with this game. Desperate gamers do desperate things with their money and Codeis now it. they all do.

But when you are slowed in game by a piece of plastic about 2 feet high that weighs about a ton stuck to your grill, that just makes all of it look pretty poor really doesn't it?

Let me explain how silly Dirt 2 can be at times.

I was doing a time trial recently, can't remember where, Australia maybe or NZ. Had a spin that pushed me off the track a few yards. As I came back on I hit one of those small plastic (ahem) sort of paddle marker cone things. Like a small marker cone, flat thing.

It then got stuck to the grille at the front and I literally had to change down to accelerate again. I then just though let's see how pathetic this is? So carried on and could not even get into 3rd gear as the car was moving as if a small elephant was now sat on the front end.

You can make things as pretty as you want, charge people a fortune for old content, use the worse online system ever devised for any games ever, and people will still buy your games as they are sheep, easily led and will buy anything new, glitzy and they will all believe the hype. Look at Dirt 4, the WMD games, etc etc and the pre release deals that were with this game. Desperate gamers do desperate things with their money and Codeis now it. they all do.

But when you are slowed in game by a piece of plastic about 2 feet high that weighs about a ton stuck to your grill, that just makes all of it look pretty poor really doesn't it?

You judge a game on a piece of plastic that slowed down your car. Really?

If you find Dirt Rally 2.0 too hard, why don’t you try easier games?

I am for simracing and-unfortunately - I love rally and for 15 years I can only play RBR.
Dirt Rally 1 likes but it's stopped for 2 years.
Dirt Rally 2.0 bought, tested and deleted.
Do you know in DR 2.0 How many play with a steering wheel and without driving aids? only 4%!
In this forum of RaceDepartment we are all simracing ...maybe not!

When they moved on from Dirt 4 they said that the procedural generator would be dropped for DR2.0. But development wouldn't stop for it. And it would make a return sooner or later.
The biggest mistake i think they did was make the hexagon tiles so big.
I like random stage generator in V-Rally 4 - piece of psevdo reality map with random traced path. I think will be good idea to take Openstreetmap and use real roads :)

Awesome, because doing this is way better than the shitty compromise that DiRT 4 was. One series for the sim-fans (i.e. Dirt Rally) and one for the arcade-fans. As long as the keep making DiRT Rally games I'm happy (and they say the will so :sleep: ). Also, D3 wasn't a sim of any kind, but it was quite fun tbh, I've played over 100 hours in that (both on PC and console). The rallycross was really fun actually, you could sling the car around like a mad :p

millord

I never said the game was hard.

I merely said that a piece of plastic stuck to your bonnet should not really slow the car as if an elephant was sat on the bonnet.

That is just piss poor physics and design.

unfortunately it's true!
so guys do not quarrel here in the forum to say if this game is arcade or sim, so much out of 100 drivers only 4 will run for the sim
As an aside, it appears that using assists can make you much faster. Just looking at the one that popped up first, 6:45 best time with assists vs. 7:02 best time without, on a long stage in Australia with Group B 4WD. BTW, I did that event and it was brutal (steering wheel, no assists). Looks like about 2.6% hardcore for that particular event.

Whatever it is if it doesn't have VR from the *BEGINNING CODEMASTERS* then I'm not interested, the VR inclusion for Dirt2.0 was nothing less than farcical.
Yeah even though I pretty much exclusively play in VR for titles such as Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2, I don't play Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR. The VR implementation, while it is better than nothing, was lacklustre to say the least. Hopefully they get help from Slightly Mad Studios as to the best way to implement VR in future titles.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 291 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.6%