F1 2019 Codemasters Confirm F1 Game Contract Extension

F1 2019 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The Formula One franchise of games looks set to continue exclusively with Codemasters for the foreseeable future - the British development team confirming an extension to their arrangement that could last until the 2027 racing season.

Having been exclusive rights holder to the prestigious F1 game licence since 2010, AAA game developers Codemasters have today announced an extension to their existing partnership with the Formula One brand - agreeing to remain the sole developer of Formula One videogames until the end of the 2025 season - with a further two-year extension possible should both parties wish to prolong their relationship to 2027.

So, what does this mean for Formula One fans and sim racers? According to the Codemasters announcement, the licence agreement with Formula One management means Codies will retain exclusive licencing agreements with the sport, so don't expect any new Formula One branded games from other developers until at least the end of this current deal...

Codemasters Confirm F1 Partnership Extension 2.jpg

The F1 series of games have come a long way since the original F1 2010 launched nearly a decade ago - with progress on graphics, audio, content and physics all having moved the franchise forward and into a space that quietly bridges simulation and accessibility with impressive ease - opening up the sport to a potentially wider gaming audience whilst still offering a relatively believable driving experience for those of us with more simulation like preferences.

“We are delighted to be extending our long-term partnership with the pinnacle of motorsport,” said Frank Sagnier, Chief Executive Officer at Codemasters. “Both the sport and game franchise are going from strength to strength and the arrival of new platforms, business models and territories, combined with the rapid growth of the F1 Esports Series, give us a springboard to even greater success. I’d like to thank the team for the incredible hard work they have put into this franchise over the last ten years, and I look forward to seeing how they continue to innovate to surprise and delight our current players and bring new fans to the exciting world of Formula 1.”
“Since 2008, Codemasters has been an invaluable partner to the franchise, consistently creating games of the highest quality and enabling fans to get even closer to the world of F1,” said Frank Arthofer, Director of Digital and Licensing at Formula 1. “Together we share a common vision for increasing the global appeal of F1 and the official video game of the FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP continues to be a key part of that strategy.”

Codemasters Confirm F1 Partnership Extension 3.jpg
Codemasters Confirm F1 Partnership Extension 1.jpg

F1 2019 is available now for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

If you want to get more news about the world of Formula One games, head over to the RaceDepartment F1 2019 sub forum and engage with your fellow sim racing fans!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Spread some love and give us a like/follow/share on Social Media!

Podcast fan? Don't forget to catch up with the latest happenings on your Podcast platform of choice! Just search 'RaceDepartment'.

Sim Racing is awesome!

The potential is much much much bigger than what we get. F1 teams are God's of data. If only they give the full numbers and charts of say 20 yeats ago, (because they won't reveal their current secrets) to serious developers in a studio, we will get a true sim.

Now trolls go ahead and disagree like u do with any post I write.

The potential is much much much bigger than what we get. F1 teams are God's of data. If only they give the full numbers and charts of say 20 yeats ago, (because they won't reveal their current secrets) to serious developers in a studio, we will get a true sim.
The newer CM games all have pretty decent physics and good singleplayer...but are damaged with bugs.
I think, most of the main audience don't give a flying f....don't mind the 100% accuracy of driving physics. (I find even F1 2015 to be pretty impressive for a Codemasters title, driving wise)
Ever tried, to be a little bit less edgy, for the sake of being edgy? ;) I think, the Disagree button will be missed like the Beer :rolleyes:

I think licensing issues will probably torpedo this dream, but I would love to see Codies expand the historical content.

I love driving both 2018/2019 and all the historical content but I feel like it's a tease. Let me run a championship in the 72D against a field of period-appropriate cars. Even if you have to fill the grid with some knock offs, if you could get 2-3 real teams for that season that'd be a great start. Bonus points if they deliver us a historical career mode where you could have the cars change from year to year.

Like many i don't think Codemasters should be shown the door, i'm just dissapointed that the license is remaining exclusive it seems.

I'm old enough to remember when EA, Geoff Crammond, Sony and Ubisoft(+others) launched games at the same time and, i don't think it's nostalgia talking, it was a golden age for F1 games.
Giving exclusive licenses to Sony killed that, and while Codemasters is definitely better by not excluding 60% of the world's population, this isn't the way to go.

I was hoping the new owners would understand that, but tough luck it seems...

Funny thing, when they want to show off their new regulations they use AC not Codemasters.

I agree with your first part completely, but that chip on your shoulder isn't a nice color on you.

I'm old enough to remember when EA, Geoff Crammond, Sony and Ubisoft(+others) launched games at the same time and, i don't think it's nostalgia talking, it was a golden age for F1 games.
I reinstalled GP4 2 weeks ago, along with some mods and trackpacks. Needless to say, it brought back my passion for sim racing in a way Codemasters F1 never has. The F1 series just feels stale, and the career mode, having to do their boring/pointless tests - why can't I just load a full tank of fuel in practice, and then the engineers get the data as I drive. After about 5 races, I just get bored with it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.2%