Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Surprise! A new GRID game is heading our way this September 13th.

Having been heavily focussed on their rally and Formula One games since 2014’s GRID Autosport released, Codemasters have today made the surprise announcement that the popular franchise will be making a return to console and PC this year – confirming GRID 4 is set to release this September on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Featuring the usual mix of real world and fantasy tracks located across four continents, plus plenty of racing content from low power machines to Grand Prix cars, GRID should offer plenty of variety for players of all skill levels when it drops later this year.

GRID_SanFran_Muscle_4.jpg

GRID_Ferrari_Brands_Hatch_1.jpg

Although exact details regarding the depth of content set to ship within the game has yet to be revealed by Codemasters, the British development team have confirmed the inclusion of Formula One machinery, in the form of at the least the 2006 Renault RS06.

With the new title having been developed in conjunction with Fernando Alonso and his eSport racing team, players will have the opportunity to race against the former double World Champion and 2018 Le Mans winner in game, as part of the structured career mode the title is so famous for in previous iterations of the franchise.

“We are also delighted to work alongside Fernando Alonso who is arguably one of the world’s greatest ever drivers” said Chris Smith, GRID Game Director at Codemasters. “His experience and knowledge has enabled us to make improvements to both the performance and handling of our cars. We could not be more proud to have signed him both in-game and as a Race Consultant. We can’t wait for our players to experience the final version when it comes to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC this September.”

As well as the inclusion of Alonso, images revealed from the game also reveal Brands Hatch will be included in the base version of the title, as well as a selection of tin top machines such as a TCR spec VW Golf and various American muscle cars.

GRID_VW_Brands_Hatch_2.jpg

GRID is well known as a ‘simcade’ style game, and it looks like the latest release will continue that trend, but with leanings towards simulation in order to appease a wide variety of driving tastes.

“GRID as a racing franchise is revered by our community and we are delighted to bring it to the current generation of consoles,” continued Smith. “The game offers so much variety and depth, from the number of modern and classic cars through to the locations and race options. Renowned for its handling, the game will appeal to all types of player, from casual drivers who want a lean-in challenge, to sim drivers who want some serious fun”

The game is already available to pre-order, and it looks like Codemasters will be adopting the DiRT 2.0 approach to post release DLC, with space set aside for 3 ‘seasons’ of additional purchasable content confirmed during the initial announcement.

More news will follow, as and when it becomes available.

GRID_Shanghai_Muscle_Shot_4.jpg

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the upcoming GRID 4 sun forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
and they call this a feature...

“When we approached Grid we started with the handling,” explains Smith. “It's really important to us that we produce a handling system that feels more in line with the original Grid.”

To achieve that, Codemasters has created what it calls a ‘consistent core experience’. “What we really didn't want was for the player to have to relearn handling for each car class,” says Smith. “We wanted a core Grid spirit handling that is at the base, that feels familiar when you pick up any new car.”

Codemasters have revealed the first 12 cars to be included in the upcoming GRID racing game.

Freshly reinvigorating the GRID franchise with a follow-up to 2014's GRID Autosport, the recently announced new title from Codemasters is a distinct nod towards high speed arcade racing games from Codemasters past - with all the bells and whistles of modern graphics available in today's high tech world.

Set to feature performance road and race cars once it releases in September 2019, GRID has already caused plenty of raised eyebrows when news first dropped about the title on the run up to E3 this year.

Short on much in the way of known facts, Codemasters have today polished off what has been a busy week at the studio by giving us some insight into 12 of the cars set to appear in game - and as you would expect, the list contains plenty of enviable brands and models in which players can take out for a spin...

B Grid 4 2.jpg

• Auto Gallery Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) – Tuner
  • Audi RS 3 LMS – Touring
  • Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept – Stock*
  • Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Modified – Stock
  • Chevrolet Corvette C7.R – GT
  • Dodge Challenger SRT Modified – Stock
  • Ferrari 488 GTE – GT
  • Ford Focus TC-2 – Touring
  • Ford Mustang Mach 1 Modified – Stock
  • Pontiac Firebird Modified – Stock*
  • Porsche 911 RSR – GT
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR – Touring
A GRID 4 1.jpg

The high profile and hard to acquire Ferrari licence headlines the content list so far, with the lovely 488 GTE making its mark already in preview footage and trailers previously revealed by the studio. As well as the Italian marque, GRID is also notable for the inclusion of GTE rival Porsche, plus a healthy representation from Ford, who seem to be remarkably shy in licencing their brand within other racing titles.

This is just the opening roll of the dice for Codemasters, expect more news in the coming weeks...

GRID will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 13th 2019.

Stay tuned to the GRID 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions about this exciting new game.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

The original Grid was one of the best campaign/career structure of any racing game. You earned sponsorship and applied them to your car and worked through classes against a rival team (Raven West?) and eventually a showdown with them fighting for the championship. It all worked quite well and wasn’t goofy and loaded with “yo bro” crap. It all felt very fluid and you really felt like you were working your way through the trials and tribulations of of a race team.

For the time, the physics where on par with Forza and GT and it had great peripheral support. I’d almost argue it had one of the best traction models not seen since. You could fight the car and it always tried to stay planted, like s real race car. Not what we have today in most sims of trial and error to find limitations.

I have some of my fondest racing game moments both online and off in Grid. Even made friends online that I still play other games with today.

For the time, the physics where on par with Forza and GT and it had great peripheral support. I’d almost argue it had one of the best traction models not seen since. You could fight the car and it always tried to stay planted, like s real race car. Not what we have today in most sims of trial and error to find limitations.

Very much a different experience to mine. It felt like a bloody hovercraft and completely soured me on the entire franchise. I thought it was absolutely abysmal on the handling front. Granted I only tried the demo, but that was enough for me to never go near it again.

Shame, because the career sounded cool.

I don't understand why they are insisting on working on a cargame with a mobile racing game physics for PC/consols, with their budget and the physic model from F1 games, they can play in GT or forza field, in term of physics and content.

I can't really get their logic with the Grid series.

I don't understand why they are insisting on working on a cargame with a mobile racing game physics for PC/consols, with their budget and the physic model from F1 games, they can play in GT or forza field, in term of physics and content.

I can't really get their logic with the Grid series.

I never get that logic too. CM has the expertise to play in the Polyphony/Turn10 field and be able to beat them easily. Maybe they are lazy or too comfy or both with the F1 money rolling in.

Remember only one game series from codemasters is aimed to be a simulator and that's DiRT Rally, F1 is know world wide so it needs the arcade part so everyone can play & GRiD was always arcade too so, everyone talking about physics, hope you're not expecting iRacing 2.0 from this, looks quite nice for me and the physics don't look like Burnout, not too much out of the real world, my opinion tho

Interesting, perhaps it was that used hood view and wheel, but I don’t remember if I had the Fanatec 911 yet... but I never tried pad. Those days inconsistencies where a norm, even same game on a dif platform. I was on Xbox with a Playseat.

But somehow it resonated with me, and I’ve raced RL competitively for many years prior and since. It could be worth firing it up again to see how it feels on PC... if it was ever made for PC?

They re-used the Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept from previous games. But not a bad choice, I like it.

My concern are the DLCs : they will propose gorgeous cars in each category to complete the grid only with their DLCs (example : in the GT category you will have Ferrari, Porsche and Chevrolet in the standard game but if you wish to drive Aston Martin or Lamborghini cars, you would pay for them).
I know very much the CM system since TOCA, always the same :p

Remember only one game series from codemasters is aimed to be a simulator and that's DiRT Rally, F1 is know world wide so it needs the arcade part so everyone can play & GRiD was always arcade too so, everyone talking about physics, hope you're not expecting iRacing 2.0 from this, looks quite nice for me and the physics don't look like Burnout, not too much out of the real world, my opinion tho

We need to face it, a car game without engaging physics has no depth into it, doing laps in circle without the slightest feedback from the car won't bring any enjoyment to the audience.

And don't tell me it's too hard for the mass, millions of people actually play dota (for exemple) which it's way harder and more complexe (gameplay wise) than any simulation out there.

How much arcade is it going to be? The less the better. How close will it be to a simulation? The more the merrier. Will all cars and tracks be available early in the game? I no longer have the patience to run where I do not want to be unlocking cars and tracks. In september, I'll wait for your opinion to buy later.

So many people in here spoiled by modern sims... Grid is not, was not, and never will be anything more than an arcade racer, and a damn good one at that. Its competition at the time was NFS Shift, not GTR2. If you try to compare it to AC or rfactor2, you'll be disappointed. If you want Wreckfest on tarmac, that's what Grid is. Personally I thought Grid 2 was a crime against humanity and Autosport didn't do enough to absolve the former, but I cautiously anticipate this "reboot" and won't let the pillars of proper race sims (cockpit, physics, no unlocks, ffb maybe) be what I judge it on.

Simply how faithful is it to the original.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 453 39.2%