F1 2018 Cockpit view

• Thread starter Deleted member 561801
  • Start date
F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)
D

Deleted member 561801

• Deleted member 561801

Hey,

What would be the best setting for the cockpit getting closer to reality?

Cheers,

I think setting the FOV right is the most crucial thing. You either have to sit close to a really big screen or set an extremely low FOV, there's no much way around it. I play on a 29 inch ultrawide, sitting at 2.5ish feet and I have my FOV at -0.90! Forget about mirrors if you don't have triple screens, a big ultrawide or sit with your nose in front of a 55" TV or something.

Most people don't actually follow these guidelines and set it to whatever lets them see their mirrors regardless of screen size. But perspective is generally off and to me this feels awful, totally unnatural.

• Deleted member 561801

I have a screen 4K, and i like play with the mirrors. You say to forget the mirrors if i haven't 3 screens. I don't use Trackir and i can't play without the mirrors. So as you say above, i would have to regulate the FOV?

If you don't have a screen with unusually big width which dominates your entire field of view, you have to make a choice between mirrors or realistic visual perspective. I chose the latter, this is why my FOV is pretty low. What I say is you either have a giant screen (and sit close to it) or 3 monitors or you'll have to compromise, there's no way around it.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 561801

I made several adjustments and i opted to get closer to the steering wheel for better vision. Then the mirrors as you say are not essential. I have set the lower FOV.

I actually do miss the mirrors, but what can we do? :/
Cockpit view with anything but a realistic FOV is a no go for me, it makes me want to puke.

For lack of a more "scientific" method, I try to set it so the hands of the driver in the game roughly match the size of my own real hands on a driving position looking from the seat where I'm playing. It's not a perfect method but it's close enough.

Glad I could help.

Last edited:
For lack of a more "scientific" method, I try to set it so the hands of the driver in the game roughly match the size of my own real hands on a driving position looking from the seat where I'm playing. It's not a perfect method but it's close enough.
I found this recently and it seems to be working well for me. https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

I'm using a 32" tv and about 2.5ft from it.

Definitely gives a more realistic FOV and feels more immersive. It took several laps to get used to but then my lap times improved almost immediately as I'm able to see the apex better and be more consistent on braking and turn-in points. Sucks that the mirrors are gone but I'm relying on the arrows that show opponent positioning. Needing Flashback though as I will occasionally be wiped out by someone making a move on me that I'm not able to fully track.

I found this recently and it seems to be working well for me. https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

I'm using a 32" tv and about 2.5ft from it.

Definitely gives a more realistic FOV and feels more immersive. It took several laps to get used to but then my lap times improved almost immediately as I'm able to see the apex better and be more consistent on braking and turn-in points. Sucks that the mirrors are gone but I'm relying on the arrows that show opponent positioning. Needing Flashback though as I will occasionally be wiped out by someone making a move on me that I'm not able to fully track.
Wow man, this was very very helpful. Surprisingly, I was using a FOV much LOWER than I should. After the "this can't be right" first impression, I realized I was able to avoid crashes much more easily and, for the first time in my life, be consistent at Monaco. Thanks!

Wow man, this was very very helpful. Surprisingly, I was using a FOV much LOWER than I should. After the "this can't be right" first impression, I realized I was able to avoid crashes much more easily and, for the first time in my life, be consistent at Monaco. Thanks!

You’re welcome. What were you set at versus what the calculator tells you?

I’m still not entirely sure how to set the horizontal offset now that the FOV is correct, so I just tweaked the H-offset until the wheel/gloves looked to be the right size compared to my hands.

I sit 27 inches anway from a 29 ultrawide. I was using -0.90, pure guess, but the calculator gave me a -0.55. I decided to raise it slightly to -0.60 because of my seating position being much closer to my wheel than in a F1 car, so it felt more natural. I haven't messed with the offsets. The only other change was raising inclination to 0.10 to tilt the dashboard a bit downwards, and reducing camera shake to 0.35.

I sit 27 inches anway from a 29 ultrawide. I was using -0.90, pure guess, but the calculator gave me a -0.55. I decided to raise it slightly to -0.60 because of my seating position being much closer to my wheel than in a F1 car, so it felt more natural. I haven't messed with the offsets. The only other change was raising inclination to 0.10 to tilt the dashboard a bit downwards, and reducing camera shake to 0.35.

I think you should be -0.60 despite the angle. With a 29" 21:9 monitor at 27", your options are to use the 65cm distance or the 70cm. 65cm yields -0.55 and 70cm yields -0.65, so split the difference for your actual 68.5cm and -0.60 is your sweetspot, I say.

Forgot to add, 6 degree look to apex, can't live without it.

Yeah, distance is more 26 than 28. Anyway, -0.60 is looking perfect. Great help, I would never come to this value myself only by feel.

I haven't experimented with changing LTA but from what I've read, some like it completely turned off to avoid looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time in a chicane or similar. I think mine is on 4deg, the default, if memory serves.
This is a possibility, but the angle is so slight that I'm not sure if it would really cause any problem. 6 degree looked very natural to me since F1 2017, so I just kept using it.

But now that I brought my attention to this point and especially now after I bought a wheel and increased my FOV, I started to get distracted by the tyres sliding sideways in relation to my wheel in long corners. Brought it back to 4deg again. =/

I'm not sure if this FOV calculator is really accurate. I tried iRacing's F1 with FOV adjusted by their built-in calculator and it seems much closer to what I had set before.

Through some browsing, I found that F1's calculators were based on the finding of a single person who checked game files to find the default FOV to be set as "77" (but no confirmation if this corresponds accurately to a 77 degree horizontal FOV). Then he said each 0.05 step on F1 corresponds to 2 degrees hFOV, without explaining where this assumption came from.

I don't know, all I know is, after comparing with iRacing, the calculator seems clearly off.

I'm not sure if this FOV calculator is really accurate. I tried iRacing's F1 with FOV adjusted by their built-in calculator and it seems much closer to what I had set before.

Through some browsing, I found that F1's calculators were based on the finding of a single person who checked game files to find the default FOV to be set as "77" (but no confirmation if this corresponds accurately to a 77 degree horizontal FOV). Then he said each 0.05 step on F1 corresponds to 2 degrees hFOV, without explaining where this assumption came from.

I don't know, all I know is, after comparing with iRacing, the calculator seems clearly off.

Hmmm, so what are you finding to be a realistic FOV for this then? I was revisiting my FOV settings today based on the arrival of my Playseat Challenge today. I'd like to get it sorted out.

Hmmm, so what are you finding to be a realistic FOV for this then?
I've been using -0.85 since yesterday, without trying to be exact.

But actually, to match iRacing, I just realized it should go even a bit beyond the minimum -1.00!

This is 2009's Williams from iRacing in my screen. 29 inch ultrawide. I pulled it closer, 24.2" distance. The visible width is 26.3". Inserting these numbers on iRacing, it recommended me a 57 degree horizontal FOV, which looks like this:

ir.jpg

This is 2009's Brawn GP from F1 2018, with a -0.50 FOV, recommended by the calculator you posted when I input these same numbers on it.

0-5.jpg

As you can see, not even close.

Now switching to minimum -1.00 FOV, we're finally getting somewhere:

1-0.jpg

But look at how you can't even see the outside edges of the tyres on the Williams. So to match it, I think I'd probably need something like -1.10 or maybe even lower.

So yeah, that's it. I'll try -1.00 tomorrow to see if it's playable. If I'm not comfortable, I'll keep it at -0.85, as it seems to be a decent compromise.

BTW ryguy, if you have a 16:9 32 inch TV, the width should be practically the same as my monitor. So I recommend minimum FOV for you too. If you want to be sure, measure the width of your screen (only the visible part, no bezels) and the distance to your eyes and I'll put the numbers into the calculator to see what iRacing tells you.

Oh yeah, and please Codemasters, look at that virtual mirror on the first image. This is why we NEED one of these. Please.

Last edited:
Interesting. My screen looks more like your last pic (3rd one)but still more like the iracing one than the 2nd image too.

Hard to tell for sure, but the car looks further back on the track in image #2 than image #1. The other thing that is not helping is that the horizontal offsets on #1 vs #2 aren't matched. This results in a cockpit view further back from the wheel. I don't even see the virtual wheel in the iracing shot but the "seat" in the 2nd image is far back which lets you see the mirrors, the tires appear smaller etc. The actual FOV might not be that different but hard to tell based on the cars not appearing to be exactly in the same position on the track or the virtual seat in the same position from the wheel. The landmarks do look similar in size though to my eye.

I'll get you the horizontal width when I get home later today as I'm curious as to how the FOV presents in iracing for my setup.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 328 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%