CM/Custom Shader Patch giving better frame rates with CPU/GPU optimising

I'm not sure this is common knowledge and thought it deserved its own thread.
With a recent CM/Custom Shader Patch update we were given some experimental CPU and GPU optimising options.
They can be found in Content Manager's Settings > Custom Shader Patch > General Patch Settings

upload_2018-12-8_10-26-45.png

...and these are the options you need to tick.

upload_2018-12-8_10-20-26.png

Brief descriptions from the coder are (remember - these are still in development):

CPU options:

Merge meshes and Flatten nodes:
should give improvement on a few unoptimized tracks, might screw up lighting configs

GPU options:
Optimize draw order:
screws up online (will be fixed in next release), currently doesn't do anything when motion blur is enabled, should be safe to use and boost fps with AI and in cockpit view.
Optimize meshes: safe to have enabled, should give some improvement generally.

I've been doing some testing and just got a whopping 20fps increase in frame rate with all four of these options activated, hot-lapping at Zandvoort in the Lotus Evora GTC '14 (Kunos track, Kunos car for best benching). That basically means the difference between ASW and native 90fps in VR for me at high settings, which is pretty bloody impressive (980Ti/6600k). YMMV of course but there are definite gains to be had.

Heads up folks - CSP 0.1.40 is a little buggy but seems to have fixed the weird stretched/double flags issue that's been plaguing AC for the past 6+ months, even with ALL CPU/GPU optimisations on. Be sure to untick/retick them all after updating - that's what I had to do anyway.
This is the first time I've ever seen the flags at Kyalami displayed correctly. Tested on other tracks too (Bernese Alps, Okutama) and the fix seems universal. Hoorah!

Note:
Re the GPU/CPU optimisations with 0.1.40, make sure this is UNTICKED in CSP general settings (where the CPU/GPU optimisations are). It borks the loading screen and hijacks your mouse pointer (in VR, anyway)

p3Hbzjh.png

0.1.40 also caused issues for me in VR. On the Shuto Revival Project 0.9.0 I had one of the eyes gettings different Ligthning FX on one eye. Some objects, and textures likes lines on the ground would not get illuminated on the right eye. Had to go back to 0.1.35 which for me was the lastest stable one.

Still looking to scrape off some FPS for this map, its amazing but I still get stutter at some points in VR.

0.1.40 also caused issues for me in VR. On the Shuto Revival Project 0.9.0 I had one of the eyes gettings different Ligthning FX on one eye. Some objects, and textures likes lines on the ground would not get illuminated on the right eye. Had to go back to 0.1.35 which for me was the lastest stable one.

Still looking to scrape off some FPS for this map, its amazing but I still get stutter at some points in VR.

Same here !
It was the very first time I tried it last night, and as soon as I went into the tunnels I wondered what the hell I'd been drinking ! :D

Question about the 'Limit Audio' option under CPU Optimization. Always had a problem with only hearing one car that is around me at a time. Would adjusting this slider possibly make me hear more cars around me or would this problem be caused by some other factor? If I wanted to turn it off completely so it didn't limit audio, should I untick the "Limit some things if there are a lot of cars" option?

Oculus Rift S, Natural Mod PP (is there other better for VR?). I'm also sticking with 0.1.35 because it's the last one with working headlight reflections. It's also pretty stable, with the only (noticeable) issue being that when I look in the upper right corner where the damage indicator is, I get a small flicker (goes black for a fraction of a second & comes back). This happens only for the first, maybe second time I look - then it's all smooth throughout the race.

I went back to 0.1.36, as latest CSP sucks lots of performance. I'm able to get a constant 78fps+ with 0.1.36(very high settings, 1.4x SS) using Oculus Rift S, but with 0.1.46 I can bearly get 60fps with the same settings.

Is this a know issue?

I may try the same one just to experiment with the FPS, see how it runs.
I'd like to see what my CPU is doing in game too, is there a know 'app' for seeing that too ?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%