F1 2010 Clueless about playing online

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi everyone,

I've recently registered here and would like some help about getting to the online races. I've applied for my licence, and am waiting for it to be approved, but I'm clueless on how I would connect to the RD server.

I have an Xbox 360, but I'm a bit confused if I need the wireless adaptor or not. I've read the races are held on the RD servers, I'm guessing it is not through xbox live ? how do I connect to the server,is there a link somewhere?

I tried a shared connection with my PC last year but it didn't work; can anyone tell me what speed of connection would support online racing? I cuurently have a half meg connection, but the download rate is good.

I hope I don't sound too stupid, I've never tried playing online before because I've found xbox live is pretty expensive (price of wireless adaptor and gold subscription).

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

If you're playing on Xbox 360, then I think the game won't be hosted on one of RD's servers. Xbox Live has it's own way of sorting that, so I imagine it would just mean adding an admin as a friend on Xbox Live, and have them get you into the race.

For this, you will need to have an Xbox Live Gold subscription, which requires that your Xbox be connected to the Internet. Whether that's by a wireless adapter, or an ethernet cable running straight to your router, is for you to decide what suits your current arrangement best.

And don't worry about sounding stupid. There was a time when we were in the same position you're in, asking the same questions. :)

Hi there, unfortunatly F1 2011 doesn't support dedicated servers, so this is how it works for all platforms.

Firstly once you have your License, Organizers ( Licensed members like yourself ) make new Topics, with the Racing Event Details, you then can enter the race by replying to the thread saying you want to participate and what car is yours, along with your Xbox Live ID.

The Person who has organized the race normally created the Custom Grand Prix and Invites all participants to the room.

Therefor you must make sure you have the regular uses ( especially ) the thread starters to your Friends List.

We all have to start somewhere, and ask questions ( it can be scary hehe )

Thanks guys, I've been thinking of just buying a preowned copy of the F1 2010 PC game and using it to play online, it'll probably be easier and cheaper. As long as my laptop could handle the game, it's around five months old and has a 2.1ghz amd processor, 2gb ram and 320 gb hd, I'm not sure about the graphics card.

I've heard that some people plug their xbox controllers into their pc and play the game that way, is it easy to configure?

Would it be possible to have a shared connection between my pc and xbox, and if so would it weaken (and therefore slow up) the speed of the connection? I've also heard of a bridging connection, is this any good?

If you've got a wired 360 controller, you can plug that straight into your computer and play with that. Windows will install the drivers for you. After that, you can just quickly configure your controls in F1 2010, and you're ready to go. In the event that I'm too lazy to set up my wheel, but feel like racing, that's exactly what I'll do. :)

I've heard it's possible to connect a wireless 360 controller to your computer, if you buy the 'receiver' for your computer. But I've never tried that, so can't offer any insight into that.

If you've got a wired 360 controller, you can plug that straight into your computer and play with that. Windows will install the drivers for you. After that, you can just quickly configure your controls in F1 2010, and you're ready to go. In the event that I'm too lazy to set up my wheel, but feel like racing, that's exactly what I'll do. :)

I've heard it's possible to connect a wireless 360 controller to your computer, if you buy the 'receiver' for your computer. But I've never tried that, so can't offer any insight into that.

You CAN use wireless Xbox360 controllers on your computer, but the wireless reciever is different, ie the reciever is specifically for the PC.

Microsoft XBox360 Wireless Reciever for Windows

Hi there, unfortunatly F1 2011 doesn't support dedicated servers, so this is how it works for all platforms.

Firstly once you have your License, Organizers ( Licensed members like yourself ) make new Topics, with the Racing Event Details, you then can enter the race by replying to the thread saying you want to participate and what car is yours, along with your Xbox Live ID.

The Person who has organized the race normally created the Custom Grand Prix and Invites all participants to the room.

Therefor you must make sure you have the regular uses ( especially ) the thread starters to your Friends List.

We all have to start somewhere, and ask questions ( it can be scary hehe )

By friends list do you mean friends on here or online? How do I do that? I'm also stumped on what actually happens after I click multiplayer on the game, does a list come up of all the rooms / lobbies that are hosting races?

Click multiplayer > online > Custom Grand Prix > Find Session and then put in the search filters i just leave blank and it brings em all up.

To add a friend just click home and window live should pop up, click friends and add a friend, or if you have been racing with someone they should be in the players tab, and it will display everyone you have met.

Hope that helps, and add me if you like. Put your GFW name in your profile so people can see it.

Thanks for your help guys, I've got online now with the PC game, sometimes I get a message saying that the connection to the session has been lost just before I get to the race screen. I've managed a couple of races today but it looks as though it's pot luck whether the connection stays or not.

I've contaced codemasters, they are'nt much help lol.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%