Clubsport Formula vs McLaren GT3 wheel

What's everyone's thoughts on these two head to head?
I mainly race GT cars on iRacing and I do the Australian races on here. So I am wanting something a bit more GT style than the P1 Elite I use currently.

I like the look of both.
I have read that many people have had problems with the McLaren rim. Has this been sorted now? Through firmware etc? I like the rotary encoders to adjust TC, ABS etc, it's a little lighter than the Formula and the buttons are laid out nicely and come with labels.

The Formula is smaller (don't know whether this is overall a good thing), has adjustable paddles, the screen looks better and it has vibration motors. I am not sure what the vibration does, but I imagine more 'feel' from the game is a good thing.

They are both $360 Australian with the quick release or $400 for the Formula Carbon. This is going on my CSL Elite.
Also, are there any new wheels coming up soon that are similar in style? This will probably be a Christmas present.
Thanks for any insight. :)

I'm deciding between these two rims myself - currently the Formula wins on build materials but loses out on size (240mm seems REALLY low). Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Formula but I change my mind every few hours.

Upvote 0
Same here, not sure which to get.
The GT3 needs an adaptor for the CSW2.5, where the formula doesn't.

Mind, I have to get my CSW2.5 and pedals yet, so no rush.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Do you find the size too small to drive anything other than open wheelers? Also, what do the vibration motors actually do? Or try to simulate?
No, not too small. I have noticed that the FFB always feels much better and more direct with the Formula wheel.....probably to do with the diameter being smaller. The GT3 wheel just lacks something in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I'm deciding between these two rims myself - currently the Formula wins on build materials but loses out on size (240mm seems REALLY low). Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Formula but I change my mind every few hours.
The Formula wheels are 260mm diameter.

Also, what do the vibration motors actually do? Or try to simulate?
They are there as an option for developers to trigger through the Fanatec SDK, much like the vibration motors in the pedals. They can be used in a similar fashion to these motors, for example as an additional traction loss or ABS trigger enhancement.

Upvote 0
I have an XBox One S and I'd like to get the closest thing to a Formula 1 wheel which I assume would be the McLaren wheel? I thought most of the reviews on this wheel were positive? I was planning on getting the quick release along with it.

Upvote 0
I’ve got the McLaren and love it. I don’t own a formula 1 wheel but here’s my thoughts anyway

It did take a while to get use to firm positive click of the shifters; you need more force than you are probably used too but I’ve never missed a shift because of it and you’ll never double shift accidentally either because of it.

The bite clutch (duel clutch) is great and fun to use and the size of the wheel is comfortable to use.
Being a very light wheel it’s also fast which I guess would some what make up for the extra size compared to the formula 1 wheel.

The wheel is also versitale for other games. For example if you don’t own a e-brake you can use one of the clutch paddles for a game like Dirt Rally.

But definitely get it with the steel quick release. Mine had the plastic one and it definitely has more flex then I’m comfortable with

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’ve got the McLaren and love it. I don’t own a formula 1 wheel but here’s my thoughts anyway

It did take a while to get use to firm positive click of the shifters; you need more force than you are probably used too but I’ve never missed a shift because of it and you’ll never double shift accidentally either because of it.

The bite clutch (duel clutch) is great and fun to use and the size of the wheel is comfortable to use.
Being a very light wheel it’s also fast which I guess would some what make up for the extra size compared to the formula 1 wheel.

The wheel is also versitale for other games. For example if you don’t own a e-brake you can use one of the clutch paddles for a game like Dirt Rally.

But definitely get it with the steel quick release. Mine had the plastic one and it definitely has more flex then I’m comfortable with

Thanks for the info. Do many games have a use for the rotary dials? And you haven't had any issues?

Upvote 0
My main use for the McLaren rim is the size. It's a great size and complements all cars that use this type of rim, even open wheelers up to F1 cars. It would be fantastic to get a Formula Black or Carbon rim quality with the size of the McLaren rim. But I have both so you can pick and choose which one suits which car you're driving better.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing