rF2 Club Paddock

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Wed 23/7The Indycar race (Sat) is building nicely. 8 drivers so far.
This is a really nice car and track combo.
I didn't bother with the indy car till a couple of days ago and was surprised how nice it is to drive. Quick but not punishing (say like the 2010 Formula Renault is).
ISI have also given a very easy Default setup so its a pussycat right out of the box. Only thing is that is been done with a lot of understeer so while its easy to drive it shreds front tyres fairly quickly. It only has a 54 litre fuel capacity!!
Fred will be offering a setup.

BTW the F1 ASR 1992 cars have very similar characteristics. Just a tiny bit more tail happy in 1st 2nd gears.

With no race to prepare for and some time on my hands I was hungry for some more laps at Suzuka in the FR 3.5. With all the recent GT racing I forgot how good it is.
I drove the 2014 FR 3.5, DW12 Indycar, 1992 F1 car, ISI Masters and the Marussia back to back as Suzuka. ( I know its sad but I'm like that:geek:)

Did you know that the ISI Masters cars let you choose the temperature and atmospheric pressure that prevailed at appr 16 rounds of the F1 calendar in the tuning menu?

Lap time wise the Indycar (primes), F1 1992 and ISI Masters (super softs) were all on the same second.
The Marussia was +1.5 and the FR 3.5 +4.5 sec.

Amazing how different the feel is is with most of them.

In my view in terms of accessibilty the feel was this...
Easiest-Indycar - (my later setup to save front tyres made it a little harder).
next -1992 F1 car by ASR. Very similar physics.
then 2014 FR 3.5. Much nicer than 2010 which was tricky. Still a challenge to find the limit.
then ISI F Masters.
hardest Marussia F1. I was wringing its neck to try to get the same lap times as the ISI F Masters and couldnt even thogh by this stage I was dialled in at Suzuka.

The excercise did make me think what great potential we have for Club events in open wheelers as well as GT cars.
I'm loving Rfactor 2 at the moment.
Thats all just me rambling on.:)

I already did some laps in the indycar as well and it does feel nice. The small fuel tank takes a bit of pressure of in terms of tyres. I also did a small run in the Lola, which was around 2 seconds slower than the FR 2014. The extra weight really costs around Suzuka.

Here a nice offboard and then onboard view. That car still has some serious downforce not like and open wheeler but close:

I hope we can make the Formula Renault 3.5 2014 a regular on Monday. It had great attendance compared to a lot of other cars we ran recently. I always thought the attendance is always a bit low on Monday and Wednesday as they are in the week, but now it looks more like there were only the wrong cars/tracks scheduled for these days.

The only downside is, that we should use tracks with DRS zone. Maybe we can collect some tracks here.

I know the following have working DRS:
COTA
Silverstone
Bahrain
Portugal
Malaysia
Fuji (not 100% sure)

I have made some other investigations and subject to these tracks being legal.
also.....

Monza = 2 x DRS zones and activation zones ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )
Barcelona = DRS zone and activation zone ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )
Spa = DRS zone and activation zone ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )
Moscow = DRS zone and activation zone ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )
Nurburgring = DRS Zone and activation zones ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )
Hungary = 2 x DRS Zones and activation zones ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )
Paul Ricard = 2 x DRS Zones and activation zones ( DRS can only be deployed in overtaking moves )

I'm going to try the F1 ASR F1 1992 Mod. Their RF1 1991 was superb.

Surprise: the cars will be updated at this time. :)

I downloaded a couple and there are a surprisingly "easy" to drive. Okay, if you floor the throttle at high revs you'll spin. But i had a good feeling. and F1 is F1: So there is al lot of setup work to do to fit the car for each track. But at default it feels good.

I tried the cars at modern SPA and at eau rouge i was slowing down a lot. I had to much downforce and i was scrapping the bottom of the car over the asphalt. So less downforce, higher spring rate, put the car i bit higher, and i was flying.:rolleyes:

I downloaded a couple and there are a surprisingly "easy" to drive. Okay, if you floor the throttle at high revs you'll spin. But i had a good feeling. and F1 is F1: So there is al lot of setup work to do to fit the car for each track. But at default it feels good.

I tried the cars at modern SPA and at eau rouge i was slowing down a lot. I had to much downforce and i was scrapping the bottom of the car over the asphalt. So less downforce, higher spring rate, put the car i bit higher, and i was flying.:rolleyes:

They have acknowledged that the physics are based on the DW12, so any setup work should be transferable.

I have now driven the updated ISI GT1, GT2 and GT3. Very impressed with this iteration. Before the update there were a few mods on a similar level, but with this update I cant get myself into any other GT car physics abd FFB are insanely good

Here are some of the sights and sounds of the ASR 92 F1 mod :p hopefully get people in the mood and sign up :thumbsup:
I jumped on the server tonight to test them out. Not 100% I can make it yet.
What fun I had.
I drove, Minardi Lamborghini, Dallara Ferrari, Lotus Ford, Fooltwork Mugen Honda, Ligier Renault,
Despite the shared physics they all create such a different atmosphere. The sounds, the cockpits. I was ginger with the throttle on the Ligier as it sounded so peaky. You would almost swear the power delivery was higher in the rev range. Footwork with a round dial for a tacho reminded me of motorbike riding, the Lotus with 3 blinking lights felt so 3rd world.
I must have driven 40 laps.
Any way I'll sign up for now and advise if I cant get there. (Christian Fittipaldi in the Minardi).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%