Closing background processes and/or programs

Warren Dawes

Premium
Does anyone recommend a good (simple) program to help me close down background processes and free up memory for gaming.

I have lost my gaming PC for a while (off for repairs) and I'm trying to use my laptop for some emergency gaming. It seems reasonable but usually the game gets stuttery due to an overall lack of RAM and video Ram.
I know I could use Task Manager and try to "trial and error" my way through the list, but this takes forever.

My system on the Laptop is Vista, and seems to have lots of stuff hogging the limited memory I have (2 gig RAM).

• Robert Adair

Does anyone recommend a good (simple) program to help me close down background processes and free up memory for gaming.

I have lost my gaming PC for a while (off for repairs) and I'm trying to use my laptop for some emergency gaming. It seems reasonable but usually the game gets stuttery due to an overall lack of RAM and video Ram.
I know I could use Task Manager and try to \\"trial and error\\" my way through the list, but this takes forever.

My system on the Laptop is Vista, and seems to have lots of stuff hogging the limited memory I have (2 gig RAM).

Try Game Booster available from C-NET :)

You can create a command file withe the taskkill command.

Example:
taskkill /f /im "iexplore.exe"
taskkill /f /im "mcafee.exe"

Look in the taskmonitor for the programs and processes you want to kill.

In the taskmanager options you can set pid on, every process has a unique pid, you can also use the pid number instead of the application name.

Name the file like:
close.cmd

I've been using gamebooster for a while and it was really good at preventing Nvidia freezes, but now when I switch to gaming mode my internet connection goes down? Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance...

Tim.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years