Circuits of the World: Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
When it comes to classic tracks, many people will, without a doubt, mention the big names: Spa-Francorchamps, Monza, Nürburgring, Silverstone... Although perhaps not as popular, the Hermanos Rodríguez circuit, located in Mexico City has been host to the F1 Mexican Grand Prix in two different time frames: 1961-1970, 1986-1992.

Thus, its asphalt has seen some of the biggest racing legends battling for victory: Senna, Prost, Clark...

4.438 km of high speed

There's just one slow turn on this circuit (if we ignore the NASCAR layout that entered the baseball stadium to avoid part of the peraltada turn) and most of the turns open up on the exit, allowing the driver to get back on the throttle while still turning. On these days, where everything ends up touched by the hands of Hermann Tilke (if it's for the better or the worse, that's up to you), Hermanos Rodríguez is a rare jewel in a world of increasing tracks that must have a bit of everything (and lose all their personality in the end).

Returning to the Formula 1 Calendar?

Over the last few years, it has been said that the circuit might return to the Formula 1 calendar. Rumours started back in 2006, and were revived in 2011, when it was said the course would be host to the Mexican Grand Prix starting in 2013. However, this has not been confirmed yet and it's possible the circuit might see its return delayed once again.

The Baseball Stadium

The peraltada turn is not only known for being one of the fastest turns out there (perhaps even faster than the famous Monza's parabolica), but also for being host to "Foro Sol": A concert venue, as well as the home of the Diablos Rojos baseball team. Built on the 90s, the venue is one of the biggest available for concerts in Mexico, as well as being capable of hosting a respectable amount of 50.000 spectators during its baseball matches.

The Track in Sim Racing

While Hermanos Rodriguez hasn't appeared, to my knowledge, in any of the latest sim racing games available out there. Owners of rFactor can download fan-made versions of the track, both on its actual shape (with the baseball stadium) or as it was in the 80s, when F1 was still racing there.

We'll close this article with the highlights of the 1987 Mexican Grand Prix (the video is made of 3 parts, all of them available at Youtube).

[youtube]

If you'd like to see a particular circuit highlighted here in the future, or information you'd like to know about the tracks, please leave a comment mentioning it. I'll do my best to get it in!
View the Post on the Blog

While Hermanos Rodriguez hasn't appeared, to my knowledge, in any of the latest sim racing games available out there.

It's widely available, rF, GTR2 and Race07 versions have been around for years. nice article otherwise, i like the circuit and it would be awesome if it returns to calendar. One of the worlds largest cities in the world

While Hermanos Rodriguez hasn't appeared, to my knowledge, in any of the latest sim racing games available out there.

It's widely available, rF, GTR2 and Race07 versions have been around for years. nice article otherwise, i like the circuit and it would be awesome if it returns to calendar. One of the worlds largest cities in the world

It's funny because now that Spain is crazy about F1, many spaniards are discovering in the spanish speaking forums and blogs that Mexico and Argentina always had a huge fanbase and tradition regarding F1 :)

A GP is really needed there, in both countries if you ask me.

It's funny because now that Spain is crazy about F1, many spaniards are discovering in the spanish speaking forums and blogs that Mexico and Argentina always had a huge fanbase and tradition regarding F1 :)

A GP is really needed there, in both countries if you ask me.
Hah, you're right. And I'm probably as guilty as many other Spaniards :laugh:

But come on, you can't blame us, we have great circuits in Spain (Jarama, Jerez, Ricardo Tormo...)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back