Chris Evans to take over Top Gear

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
Having previously ruled himself out, the popular DJ and presenter and fanatical car enthusiast Chris Evans has revealed that he has signed a 3 year deal to produce and present the popular BBC TV series.
He has the blessing of his friend Jeremy Clarkson.
Evans earlier ruled himself out as he did not "want to be a pawn in a game involving three of his friends".

Evans and his cars have been a feature on Top Gears shows in the past.
He owns a Ferrari collection of eye watering value and has set world records in purchasing them.
He uses them for good purpose and amongst other charitable works provides them for a gentle rally drive that is then auctioned off to the highest bidders.

He is in talks with James May over possible future involvement.

Last edited:
There were some other interesting names in the mix.
Phillip Glenister (life on Mars, Forthe love of cars)
Guy Martin (TT Road Racer, Speed with Guy Martin)
Jodie Kidd (former model, Classic car show )

Their biggest challenge after naming an "Anchor Man" with enough personal gravitas and car awareness/credibilty (which IMO Evan has) is going to be coming up with a fun and suitable personality dynamic between them all. EG the previous mix of Irreverant (but) right wing Clarkson, Fun Cute enthusiastic Hammond and Technocrat - Captain slow James May.

The first two on my list above would do well.
Jodie Kidd I'm afraid has little to offer beyond the curiosity of being a model and liking cars.
If they hire a female I hope its due to talent. Sorry Jodie, if you were 5 feet 5 and average looking, you would not have the talent.

Edit:
Having slept on this I think that with Evans as anchor they would do well to have a big personality in the mix. EG A Guy Martin.
My reasoning is that with the big bold and brash opionated Clarkson his fellow presenters were able to in many cases simply be a foil (or the straight man in comic terms) to Clarksons antics. Evans is a great operator but more an interviwer than a "topic generator" . Evans will tease great stories out of the others but they will need to be bold characters in and of themselves.

Last edited:
Guy Martin & Sabine Schmitt would be my pick as co-hosts to Evans...
As for Captain Slow coming back...
I think if they're going to make a change then it might as well be with a clean slate, besides, having one 'straight man' & two larger personalities would open up more opportunities for playing off each other than the other way around as before...
So yeah, Im just re-affirming in my own words pretty much what David O'Reilly said above... :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing