Choosing my first Rig

Hi there,

I’m planning on setting up a mid-level racing rig for some casual racing using my Logitech G25 wheel (might upgrade to something better in the future). I don’t intend to play for hours every day, just some casual gaming, 1 or 2 hour a day maximum. Until now I’ve been playing with my wheel attached to a desk with my regular PC monitor, sitting on a regular office chair, so any rig will feel like a massive improvement to me.

I’m looking for the best value for money option. After some research, I’m considering the following options:

- GT Omega (ART or PRO, not sure about which is best). Competitive price and lots of accessories but might look a little flimsy, and I’ve seen some wobble specially regarding the shifter mount. Could be a good option for casual gaming with the G25, but if I decide to upgrade to a heavier wheel in the future, I’m afraid this rig may not be good enough and I would need to get another one. Reviews state it is a decent rig but with some flaws.

- Rseat Rs1. It’s the best rig I’m considering. Spectacular looks and seems to be rock solid, even though for some casual racing with a G25 I have the feeling I may be overdoing it a little bit with such a rig. Aside from that, the price is higher than what I intended to spend on a rig, but I guess I could seriously consider this option if you advise me to do so. Definitively a future-minded option. With the Rseat I won’t have to upgrade the rig for many years.

-Trak Racer Rs6: Looks very similar to the Rseat, but with a lower price. I cannot find many references on this product, but seems to me like a good mid-point option between the very casual GT Omega and the quite professional Rseat. I’m afraid though it might just be a cheap copy of the Rseat. If that’s the case, the extra 120€ I would have to pay for the Rseat seem fair enough.

Any comment or opinion will be much appreciated!

I'm sure other people will mention it, but it terms of the best mid-range, I wouldn't look anywhere other than a simetik K2. It's rock solid. I have triple monitors attached to mine just using a standard table monitor clamp stand not their add on (ebay £30, great saving), and it doesn't move an inch.

Upvote 0
Not knowing your budget I would suggest taking a look at simlab https://sim-lab.eu/product-category/cockpit/ you can grab a car seat from the scrap yard, no need for an expensive race seat. The beauty of this 8020 is if it becomes a bigger hobby you can add to it, its also rock solid. BTW I would say 1-2 hours a day is a bit more than casual use ;) Also which country you live in can make a difference.

Upvote 0
Not knowing your budget I would suggest taking a look at simlab https://sim-lab.eu/product-category/cockpit/ you can grab a car seat from the scrap yard, no need for an expensive race seat. The beauty of this 8020 is if it becomes a bigger hobby you can add to it, its also rock solid. BTW I would say 1-2 hours a day is a bit more than casual use ;) Also which country you live in can make a difference.
Well, 1-2 hours a day, the day I have the time to play. Then several days may pass without being able to play. I may even stay weeks without sim racing at all if I start to play any other sort of game.

My initial intentions are to spend about 500-600€ on the rig (seat included), displays aside.
The Trak Racer fits perfectly to my budget (599€).
The Rseat is the one I like the most, but it costs 720€. However if it's worth it, I could consider spending those extra 120€.

The Simlab and Simetik look quite solid (and quite ugly as well), but the fact that they don't include a seat is what holds me back a little bit. Getting the seat from the scrap yard is discarded, so I should start to look for a sim racing seat, and very important for me, I would only consider a seat which is plug&play (including a seat slider to adjust driving distance), with no mods required. Any suggestions on this?

BTW, does the sim-lab GT1 EVO's included side mount support the Logitech G25's shifter?
Regarding the Simetik, I can see the shifter support is an accessory bought separately.

I live in Spain, by the way.

Upvote 0
If you want plug and play then perhaps 8020 isn't for you, it all has to be built, its a DIYers paradise, the G25 shifter if I remember is designed to mount to a desk so you would probably have to rig something up. Seats come with either side mounts or sliders as extras generally. All you have listed would be okay with a G25 system but not so sure if you went Direct drive and a good set of pedals.

As for being ugly, thats in the eye of the beholder ;) Barry Rowlands does some reviews on that GT1 which are on the simlab website.

I think you have a shortlist here and its time for a bit of leg work checking youtube videos etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_50ZiRFWSm7oziV1OZloQ/videos has the GT Omega Pro and the Simlab GT1 for example.

I had an Obutto R3volution first and the 8020 knocks spots off it, I have the P1.

Upvote 0
If you want plug and play then perhaps 8020 isn't for you, it all has to be built, its a DIYers paradise, the G25 shifter if I remember is designed to mount to a desk so you would probably have to rig something up. Seats come with either side mounts or sliders as extras generally. All you have listed would be okay with a G25 system but not so sure if you went Direct drive and a good set of pedals.

As for being ugly, thats in the eye of the beholder ;) Barry Rowlands does some reviews on that GT1 which are on the simlab website.

I think you have a shortlist here and its time for a bit of leg work checking youtube videos etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_50ZiRFWSm7oziV1OZloQ/videos has the GT Omega Pro and the Simlab GT1 for example.

I had an Obutto R3volution first and the 8020 knocks spots off it, I have the P1.
I don't mind putting all the components and parts together myself, as long as they all fit properly and all screws and nuts are included. What I want to avoid is the need to mod the components, cutting parts and drilling holes to adapt a seat or a shifter.
thanks!

Upvote 0
Something like the ebay link is plug and play for a simetik - you could place the mounts on runners if required. It's pre drilled to fit mounts or runners. And it's really not an ugly rig, it's just bare bones but the difference in quality to an Omega is night and day
All I can say is I don't think you'll ever be 100% happy with a GT Omega, and I don't think you'd be ever more than 1% unhappy with the K2. I've had mine for a year, must have done over 600 hours in it, and there isn't a single sign of wear in it, or anything that moves or creeks or isn't like it was on day one. Easily one of the best pieces of kit I've bought.
47584932_2106702662749045_2365500685290810703_n.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMP-TRS-...215579&hash=item5665269d03:g:SzMAAOSwP39c27KB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice setup you've got here!
The Gt Omega frame is out of the equation right now.

I guess my 2 real options are either the Rseat or the Simetik.
I'm sort of surprised no one here speaks about the Rseat. I thought it was quite a known rig.

I like the OMP seat you've shown me. Looks great (that's a real racing seat, isn't it?) and the price is good.
According to what you said, I understand I could use the mounts included on the seat to secure it in a fixed position on the Simetik rig. I suppose this fixed position is kind of adjustable in order to make sure I reach the pedals properly, am I right? And can the pedal bay be adjusted in terms of distance?

The other option I have regarding the Simetik rig is getting the Gt Omega Rs9 seat only, which has a very decent price and comes together with the sliders. Nevertheless, I don't think it can compete against the OMP in terms of looks and quality. Besides the OMP is only 40€ more.

Upvote 0
haha, that's not my rig but it's similar, I went for a red seat, but just showing you when it's dressed it's pretty fine looking. Really you can't beat a real racing seat for comfort, quality, the correct posture and making the whole experience a joy, makes a big difference and the rig is designed to replicate the exact seating position of a modern GT3. I'd say totally worth the extra 40. You weight is distributed properly and no back ache.

You can attach seat sliders first and then side mounts on top of those, or just go with side mounts. There are numerous slots to attach the seat mounts so you get your distance to pedals correct, and various lengths you can build the rig too as well, i'm 6'2 so tall and it's perfect for me but i'm on the max length rig wise, but the seat could still go back to accommodate someone taller. The wheel plate has fine adjustment vertically, horizontally and with tilt. Basically a lot of fine adjustment, as close to a 80/20 you'll get without the cost. And it's tank solid.

Re a simetik monitor mount, don't bother. Get one of these below with a clamp. It fits onto the bar the wheel plate arms go into, and you can get your monitor as close to or over your wheel that way, perfect for maximising FOV. I mount triples like that and they are old heavy IPS monitors, total weight over 20kg and they and the rig don't flex at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Table-Mo...040314&hash=item3fb80bb000:g:3GQAAOSwiQ9ZP-LI

Upvote 0
Well sir you made my day with the clamp monitor mount. It quite bothered me to have to spend 120€ or more on a tv mount. These clamps look perfect. This is one positive point for the Simetik (I don't think the clamp would work on the Rseat). They say the clamp mount withstands up to 32" monitors. I'm planning on using a 37" TV. Do you think there will be no problem with that?

I've found a very good price for the OMP TRS-E seat on a local store, but it comes without the side mounts. If I have to buy them separetely, then the price becomes the same as the Ebay seller's you posted. The question is: Is it possible to mount the sliders without any side mounts? According to a picture i've found it seems feasible (see Option 1 on picture below). This way I could get the seat without side mount at a very good price and then just add another 40-50€ for the sliders, which I prefer over the fixed mounts so as I can adjust the seating position on the go.
guia-corredera-universal-omp.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm in Spain too, I got my Simetik from GameTech in Portugal that shipped it with a seat too (they have a small amount of rigs built for the GTC Sim Centers) - made life much simpler!

I also have zero complaints about the K2, it is quite simply brilliant value. Had mine for just over a year and use it for 4-6 hours a week. It's solid as a rock, super comfortable and looks great

Upvote 0
I'm in Spain too, I got my Simetik from GameTech in Portugal that shipped it with a seat too (they have a small amount of rigs built for the GTC Sim Centers) - made life much simpler!

I also have zero complaints about the K2, it is quite simply brilliant value. Had mine for just over a year and use it for 4-6 hours a week. It's solid as a rock, super comfortable and looks great
I've been checking their website and right now they have no Simetik products at all. I think I'll get the Simetik on the official website.

Now I just need to make sure if I need the Side Mounts for the OMP TRS-E seat when using the Seat Slider or if I can order only Seat + Slider without side mount, and then I'll be rady to pull the trigger.
I also need to know if the Clamp mount will support a 37" TV (the description states maximum 32" but according to Numbersevenhull's comment I understand they should be strong enough).

Upvote 0
They're an official supplier (just not to the public officially) mainly they supply the GTC simulator centres in Portugal/Spain. The fact I could order it with the seat made my decision much easier as no need to go to other places to find one, decide on mounts and if they'll fit etc.

I went to GameTech with a view to buy either an Ozone or Omega - they turned me around to the Simetik K2.

Upvote 0
They're an official supplier (just not to the public officially) mainly they supply the GTC simulator centres in Portugal/Spain. The fact I could order it with the seat made my decision much easier as no need to go to other places to find one, decide on mounts and if they'll fit etc.

I went to GameTech with a view to buy either an Ozone or Omega - they turned me around to the Simetik K2.
But did they have the Simetik K2 on their website? Do you have a link to it? I couldn't find it.
Thanks

Upvote 0
@girarcat

Re the monitor stand I just picked one out at random, but the table clamp fitting is exactly as mine and it fits perfectly. The issue is not with the size, but with the VESA mount, you'll have to check but i think on a 37" TV is will be 200x200, so that's what you should be looking for. With your TV i'd just go for a vertical mount without the extending arm, it will be perfect and more rigid, if you can't find that you have to consider a wall mounted solution or a homemade one such as an extended shelf behind the rig and use the standard TV stand.

Re the seat fittings, really the side mounts are the important ones not the runners. The only reason to have runners is if other people will be sharing the rig, if it's mainly you and just occasional friends it's not essential, and you have ample options to get the fitting perfect without needing runners. The key is the side mounts, so you can get the chair to tilt backwards, mounting it high at the front, low at the back. So option 2 is perfect, option 3 if you want, but not option 1.

Simetik customer service is really good, any questions mail them, they always got back to me within a few hours.

PS I just bought mine form the website, I seem to recall it arrived really quickly, matter of days to the UK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@girarcat

Re the monitor stand I just picked one out at random, but the table clamp fitting is exactly as mine and it fits perfectly. The issue is not with the size, but with the VESA mount, you'll have to check but i think on a 37" TV is will be 200x200, so that's what you should be looking for. With your TV i'd just go for a vertical mount without the extending arm, it will be perfect and more rigid, if you can't find that you have to consider a wall mounted solution or a homemade one such as an extended shelf behind the rig and use the standard TV stand.

Re the seat fittings, really the side mounts are the important ones not the runners. The only reason to have runners is if other people will be sharing the rig, if it's mainly you and just occasional friends it's not essential, and you have ample options to get the fitting perfect without needing runners. The key is the side mounts, so you can get the chair to tilt backwards, mounting it high at the front, low at the back. So option 2 is perfect, option 3 if you want, but not option 1.

Simetik customer service is really good, any questions mail them, they always got back to me within a few hours.

PS I just bought mine form the website, I seem to recall it arrived really quickly, matter of days to the UK.
Thanks for your help!
You are right, my VESA size is 200x200. If I cannot find any clamp mount with that size i will just go for the Gt Omega TV Stand, which fits this VESA size and is not expensive.
https://www.gtomegaracing.com/monitor-stands-1-111/gt-omega-art-monitor-stand
Another option could be to mount the Simetik on casters (or place it over a caster platform) to be able to move it around the room and place it in front of my regular PC monitor when I want to play and then just move it back to the corner. Do you think this is feasable?

Regarding the seat, I'll go for the side mounts then. Do you think these 350mm should be ok?
https://rallystore.net/es/bases-de-...omp-acero-3-mmlargo-350-mm-8027280170379.html
According to the following picture, the maximum distance between the holes on the frame of the rig is 335mm, whereas the total lenght of these mounts is 350mm. Isn't that too long? I'm afraid I will only be able to mount the seat on a single position and if I try to mount it forward or backward from that initial position I will have no hole for the bolt since the lateral mount is too long. I could always drill some extra holes in the middle of the mount if needed I guess.

Upvote 0
When I first got mine I fitted a sports car seat and drilled an extra hole, really easy job, but I suspect you will be fine with the mounts, and they should be perfect if they are matched with the OMP by the seller.

Re TV mount, you could go for a wall mount like this in front of the rig
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-...ies&ie=UTF8&qid=1558464667&sr=1-3-spons&psc=1

Not sure if that's the right one for you, but just measured my rig and as long as the arm extends 50cm to 60cm off the wall you'd be good to go and be able to get the tv in the perfect spot. Cheaper than the Omega stand as long as you are happy to have a permanent home for the rig.

Casters I'm not sure, it's a lot of DIY and the rig, once you have the seat on it, wheel etc is a heavy beast. If you saw one in the flesh I think you'd rule that idea out.

Upvote 0
When I first got mine I fitted a sports car seat and drilled an extra hole, really easy job, but I suspect you will be fine with the mounts, and they should be perfect if they are matched with the OMP by the seller.

Re TV mount, you could go for a wall mount like this in front of the rig
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-Double-Wall-Bracket-Mount-Black/dp/B01AYB3MD6/ref=lp_310196011_1_3_sspa?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1558464667&sr=1-3-spons&psc=1

Not sure if that's the right one for you, but just measured my rig and as long as the arm extends 50cm to 60cm off the wall you'd be good to go and be able to get the tv in the perfect spot. Cheaper than the Omega stand as long as you are happy to have a permanent home for the rig.

Casters I'm not sure, it's a lot of DIY and the rig, once you have the seat on it, wheel etc is a heavy beast. If you saw one in the flesh I think you'd rule that idea out.
Thanks! I'll go ahead with the Simetik and the OMP seat bought from a Spanish shop (free shipping).
The TV wall mount would be a nice budget option, but I'm still not sure enough about the rig exact position, so i'm not willing to drill my wall for now.

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger and ordered both the Simetik and the OMP seat. Still have to take a final decision regarding the Tv mount.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%