Chess

I was wondering, how many people here play chess?

Back when I was in high school this was my game of choice, along with cricket. I had a tutor (who doubled as my cricket coach bizzarely) and for a while seriously considered pursuing it further. I played in state and national championships later in school, once winning a regional competition. I was disadvantaged by the fact I was 15 when I first played the game, and ended up not continuing with it. I havent played a game since I left school, over 5 years ago.

Anyways, does anyone else play chess here, or used to? I find it has some similarities to sim racing, in that it requires patience and tactics. I wouldnt mind playing again, I dont think Id be any good now but its good fun :)

I love playing chess and till last year i was online regularly at chess.com :) I highly recommend that site if you are looking for a nice chess playing enviroment.

I was wondering, how many people here play chess?

Back when I was in high school this was my game of choice, along with cricket. I had a tutor (who doubled as my cricket coach bizzarely) and for a while seriously considered pursuing it further. I played in state and national championships later in school, once winning a regional competition. I was disadvantaged by the fact I was 15 when I first played the game, and ended up not continuing with it. I havent played a game since I left school, over 5 years ago.

Anyways, does anyone else play chess here, or used to? I find it has some similarities to sim racing, in that it requires patience and tactics. I wouldnt mind playing again, I dont think Id be any good now but its good fun :)

Don't play chess - but the cricket, are you still a supporter? The SA-England series coming up should be interesting :)

Don't play chess - but the cricket, are you still a supporter? The SA-England series coming up should be interesting :)

Im like the biggest supporter ever :p I follow all Australian matches of course, but I taken a keen interest in all international matches (though I much prefer tests over ODI or T20). As I believe the SA-England series will decide who is the best team in the world at the moment I think it will be epic :) (India are not the best, no way, Australia still have to prove themselves against someone good and Sri Lanka seem to only play at home nowadays lol).

Chess is like test cricket in my mind, lots of tactics, careful thought, and games have a sort of natural ebb and flow like a cricket game. With enough study, a Chess game against a equal player can be every bit as epic lol.

Im like the biggest supporter ever :p I follow all Australian matches of course, but I taken a keen interest in all international matches (though I much prefer tests over ODI or T20). As I believe the SA-England series will decide who is the best team in the world at the moment I think it will be epic :) (India are not the best, no way, Australia still have to prove themselves against someone good and Sri Lanka seem to only play at home nowadays lol).

Chess is like test cricket in my mind, lots of tactics, careful thought, and games have a sort of natural ebb and flow like a cricket game. With enough study, a Chess game against a equal player can be every bit as epic lol.

Wow - you're just like me, I especially like test matches. The only thing I follow on T20 is what the SA players and Chris Gayle do. What a monster he was this year :)

Are you from Aus then, or an Englishman supporting Aus?

But yes, the battles are like chess, last year we had India here - there was a few sessions at the match in Centurion where Dale Steyn was bowling to Tendulkar, who just did not want to budge, but it was intriguing the whole time, with everyone expecting Steyn to bowl some bouncers and then he squared the little master up with some speedy outswingers on a good length just outside off. Very unlucky a few times, but also kept out many deliveries that not many other batsmen would've even nicked, never mind hit.

Pleasure to watch :)

But cricket is like chess :rolleyes:
facepalm06.jpg

The similarities between Chess may seem small but I get the same feeling of satisfaction from playing both :p Theres also an beauty to both games that other sports or games just dont have, a beauty that only be appreciated with patience and knowledge :)

Im an Australian supporting Aus, though i will watch any series from any team. I typically dont get biased to supporting any team, I just find the battles facsinating :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%