Check Out The New 2019 F1 Rules

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
New 2019 F1 Regulations.png

With the silly season now at a close, all eyes turn to the new Formula One regulations set to come into effect this year - and what they will mean to the sport.

Formula One still remains one of the greatest motorsport spectacles in the world, despite some dubious design decisions taken by the sports powerbrokers in recent years, and in a bid to return some of the action back onto the circuits of the world, 2019 will see some reasonably substantial changes to the way the cars are designed for the year ahead.

In an effort to educate racing fans about the changes for 2019, the official Formula One website has released some very interesting insights into the new for this season regulations set to appear on all the cars - designed to aid overtaking and improve the racing product.

So, what exactly has changed for this season?

Firstly, a much simplified front wing will be introduced to the 2019 Formula One cars. Wider than previous versions, but without the many layers of aerodynamic enhancements seen recently, the new front wing regulations have been designed to reduce the aerodynamic loss suffered by cars following a rival in close proximity, thus aiding the ability to maintain pace when following a car in front, and aid opportunities to overtake ones rivals.

The wing's width is increased by 200mm, its height by 20mm, and it’s moved forward by 25mm.

Additionally, and maintaining the emphasis on reduced aerodynamic additions, barge boards in 2019 will see a bit of a shake up, with the new specifications forcing teams to opt for smaller repositioned barge boards on the side of the cars. Intended to help maintain a "cleaner" airflow around the car, and in a bid to reduce disruptive flow at the rear, this change has once again been introduced as an effort to ease the difficulties of cars following closely behind.

The barge boards are reduced in height by 150mm, and moved forward by 100mm over the 2018 regulations.

The rear of the car will also see some further attention from the 2019 regulations, with the rear wing having been subjected to further tweaks under the latest ruleset. Reduced complexity and new dimensions will mean 2019 sees larger rear wings, up by 20mm. This will allow much more of the previously troublesome dirty air higher into the air, again aimed to cause less disruption to the vehicle behind.

The new rear wings will be 100mm wider than has been the case in 2018. As an addition, the much maligned DRS feature will "benefit" from some changes, increasing the opening of the moveable flap by a further 20mm, boosting its potential power by around 25 percent.

These are just some of the proposed changes for 2019, the rest of which you can review by checking out the official F1 Website HERE.

Opening image courtesy of www.f1.com.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

hopefully it'll create more overtakes

also why'd i get banned from the south africa agp1 thread? all i said is i'd boycott the series if i were a driver in protest of the political situation there

The new rear wings will be 100mm wider than has been the case in 2018. As an addition, the much maligned DRS feature will "benefit" from some changes, increasing the opening of the moveable flap by a further 20mm, boosting its potential power by around 25 percent.
I believe it should be 200 mm opening not 20, based on pure logic, cause increase of 2 x 100 mm on each side is 200, not 20. :)

FIA in a another chapter of its never ending quest to castrate and destroy F1.

So you'd prefer we carry on where cars cannot follow another car closely, due to overheating and tyre degradation and only way they can overtake is with DRS? Where's the fun in that?

If these changes bring closer racing, more DRS free overtaking and driver skill being rewarded, then I'm all for it.

The new wider front wing could be interesting on the first lap.Drivers might be knocking bits off the first half of the season until they get used to the extra width.

A lot of people thought that when they were used for 2009 but oddly the drivers were reasonably well behaved! lol :)

Very difficult to police properly but I would like F1 to copy the Indycar model. Reduce the wings effectiveness and get the car to use underbody downforce like ground effect.

It could be done but I just know that in no time at all the F1 cars will be generating huge amounts of downforce and grip and then you have safety issues, unless they force a standard design on the teams.

Easier to control with a spec chassis like Indycar of course but it does work, they managed to pass on tracks I thought were impossible to pass on last year.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what the changes make for the 2019 season :)

It's a logical improvement to front wing. Racing will be better.
Indycar has never been on F1 level, can't even sit through indy race, especially 500 oval laps :sleep:

Last edited:
hopefully it'll create more overtakes

also why'd i get banned from the south africa agp1 thread? all i said is i'd boycott the series if i were a driver in protest of the political situation there
What political situation is going on in south Africa?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%