Charlie Martin spearheads all female league with RaceDepartment partners RCI

doof205

75RPM
Premium
Sep 24, 2018
So your issue here is that men have been excluded? Do you not think that not just in sim racing that women and those in the LGBTQ+ community feel uncomfortable and not included? This usually includes online.

Quite recently someone in a discord channel put a comment like ‘stop being so gay’ and I pulled them up on it. That person probably didn’t meant any harm in using that term, but iI suspect that would have offended someone who is gay.

As soon a post on here is about Women certain people will do what many men do, turn against it and often start making sexual comments. If a woman was to read that I can’t imagine they are thinking, what a great bunch of people i’ll happily race with them.

This isn’t about exclusion! This is about opening the door to others who will hopefully get hooked on our great hobby, quite honestly Martin I am genuinely disappointed by your point of view here. Actually, not just yours but others too.

We need other communities to work on their inclusion, it will take time where views like yours will fade with time. Unless you can become more inclusive?

When something like this is announced this is how it generally goes:

‘league announced for women or LGBTQ+ Community’

Men respond with ‘what about us!?’

Completely missing the whole point
I think it would be better received if it was simply an all female league OR an LGBT league. The problem is, by lumping together two groups that are completely unrelated this turns into "not men".

I'd be all for an LGBT league or a women's league but if it's a feeling of inclusion you're trying to foster for those groups then for me you've got to keep it to those groups in my opinion.

Stephen Gibb

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 15, 2015
There are plenty of communities that are exclusive.

Men over x age racing, men under x age racing, simracing for dads, simracing for Brits, simracing for French, simracing for Christians, simracing for Latinos, simracing for game x, simracing for console y, simracing for level z.

This is not a bad thing per se, on the contrary it makes a lot of sense in some cases. But when women want to race other women in a high-quality organized series some people get upset? Hmm.
I’m sorry but I’ve never seen any leagues or clubs that are exclusive to men.
By this I mean a club or league that specifically states it is for men only.
Proof please.
As Martin has already stated far better than can you bang on aboutgender equality but create a league that excludes a certain gender.
Crazy

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Dec 26, 2006
I’m sorry but I’ve never seen any leagues or clubs that are exclusive to men.
By this I mean a club or league that specifically states it is for men only.
Proof please.
As Martin has already stated far better than can you bang on aboutgender equality but create a league that excludes a certain gender.
Crazy
1613553707908.png

1613553790748.png

1613553883906.png

Excellent example of a clubs for dads and gentlemen only. Epic communities btw, highly recommend them.

Gevatter

The James May of Simracing
Premium
Aug 2, 2015
View attachment 446225

View attachment 446226

View attachment 446227

Excellent example of a clubs for dads and gentlemen only. Epic communities btw, highly recommend them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/ky19as
Hi all,

I have set up a PC community for people that find the usual start time of 7-8pm GMT too early for their league racing.

It's only in its infancy but we will hopefully have some servers up in the next week and if the interest is there, get a beginner friendly league going for anyone that would like to participate.

We are open to all and any suggestions and would appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks for taking the time and hopefully see you on the track soon.

I didn't find Gent Drivers, but for the other two where does it explicitly exclude all that are not men?

sergheo

10RPM
Oct 2, 2019
In the context of racing, gender and sexual orientation are irrelevant. Riding the fastest in the junior series - welcome to the higher team. But when they say that someone should be taken on a team because he (she) is a woman, a person of a non-traditional sexual orientation, a transgender person, a disabled person, or anyone else, this is real discrimination and insult to a person.

AccAkut

2000RPM
Premium
Mar 21, 2015
Lol what a thread.

Interesting to note that Salvatore, in his initial response to this thread, didn't merrily ask a question but pretty much submitted his terms of participation, using words that some of us need to look up in a dictionary. Which got this stone rolling.

Ignoring that this was the wrong place to ask anyway... If the tone had been different, would the thread have gone the way it did?

Reactions: sergheo

LukeT222

25RPM
Sep 24, 2011
Quite recently someone in a discord channel put a comment like ‘stop being so gay’ and I pulled them up on it. That person probably didn’t meant any harm in using that term, but iI suspect that would have offended someone who is gay.
I know a lot of people don't like it when people call others out about that kind of thing but thank you! Call me sensitive or a snowflake or whatever you like but it gets real effing old when your existence becomes a constant punchline or insult. I personally don't care too much about seeing the jokes because they're honestly everywhere and I've been hearing them for as long as I remember but I know people who have been seriously hurt by that sort of thing so there are few things that make me happier than seeing someone stand up against it.
As much of a shame it is to see some sexist and "gender critical" (or in other words transphobic and often just generally anti-LGBTQ+) comments here I think it's great to see many staff members being supportive.

I'm really hoping this series goes well and helps to get some female, NB, agendered and otherwise LGBT+ folks into the sim racing community (which I think we would all have to admit is very heavily male dominated) and highlights some great talent in the same way Charlie and many others have for real life racing already.

Last edited:

Fat-Alfie

2000RPM
Premium
Oct 16, 2012
For the record, I used to take my daughter to Mother & Toddler groups when I was a stay-at-home Dad.

I never thought to insist that there was a special session where women were not allowed to attend so I didn't feel uncomfortable. It was my choice to take my daughter and I just had to suck up being the odd one out and the butt of many jokes.

Pappa_G_27

AU Racing Club Staff
Staff
Premium
Aug 27, 2017
I am totally okay with changing roles and patterns. But if Dad's today are female as well then I have some catching up to do.
They sure are Bram. Some of my close friends have 2 children.together, they are both their mums and their dads I guess. (being that they are both female, and each has given birth to 1 of them).

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Dec 26, 2006
Maybe this helps to break with classic patterns.

That you don't hear women on Discord and Teamspeak doens't mean they aren't actively sim racing (offline or online). Ask yourself this, if you were a woman, gay or a transgender and you joined an active conversation on Discord / Teamspeak where attitudes and words are used as in this thread, would you feel safe and secure and drop your 2 cents? I wouldn't.

Just went into the statistics of Google Analytics of our own site. With webtraffic in it's millions every month we see a 89% vs 11% split in gender. Go figure how many women are in simracing / motorsport reading along passively (or are actively chatting with you right now in this thread, without you knowing it :roflmao:!). A couple of years ago when i last checked these (not very important) gender stats it was 95% vs 5%.

Conclusion: women are coming! Do you feel threatened already? Soon, you'll get your ass kicked in an online race by a talented girl haha. Actually I can't wait to see that happening as then the same people shouting now want women in women only sim series as they can't stand being beaten by a girl, wanna bet?