Charlie Martin spearheads all female league with RaceDepartment partners RCI

Matt Y

100RPM
Aug 15, 2011
To be perfectly fair, motorsport is one of the only sporting disciplines where it doesn't matter what you were born as, identify as, or what is between your legs. Once you're in the cockpit it's about how fast you can go, that's it. Sim racing levels the playing field even further by removing the physical stresses that in a few cases may hold back a woman from real life progression.
I think sim racing is as level a playing field as one could possibly envisage, and as such it should be segregation free. If someone is quicker than me (and many are), I will (like most) doff my cap, regardless of their race, sex, etc. None of that stuff is relevant.
theuglytruth.png

Pappa_G_27

AU Racing Club Staff
Staff
Premium
Aug 27, 2017
Goodness me... some people in this thread are already brilliantly proving why series like this one are so badly needed.
Totally agree with this comment!!!!

If people don't understand that events like this are created to increase participation in our sport/hobby of choice, then you have bricks in your head.

I mean just jump on some of our club races and listen to some of the banter to hear why for now, leagues like this are required to get more Female/LGBT interested in this sport.

Last edited:

Emerson Meyer

Keep Fighting
Jun 20, 2012
The Diamond Drive Cup Aims To Better Represent Female & Non-Binary Drivers Within Sim Racing

For what reason? Why the f^&% would you publish this garbage Paul? Racing is who wins no matter what they 'identify' as, end of . If women are 'better', or someone who 'identifies' as Kermit The Frog is faster, who gives a toss, let's see them do it - they haven't so far.

The only people who give credence to this garbage are social justice warriors, the longer ppl hang on to the 67+ sexes that have a 'right', the worse society gets. Men have a dick, women have t!ts, get over it.

Edit: If this is the level of RD now, stick a fork in it.
The society gets worse because of people like you.

A life based on dicks and tits... and no brain.

Luckily, social justice is intented even for morons like you.

Epistolarius

500RPM
Oct 28, 2015
Obviously the responses were bound to be hot garbage...

Besides the clear benefits of gathering interest and fostering talent among underrepresented groups for our sport and hobby that shouldn't need repeating and defending... even if it wasn't that - what do you care? What kind of authority do you think you have over others and how they spend their time? Just how arrogant do you have to be to think everything has to revolve around you?

It's getting really, really old.

But by all means - waste your time with pathetic comments trying to damage our hobby while others have fun racing and instructing newcomers.

Last edited:

Case_

6000RPM
Premium
Jun 30, 2011
(I frankly don't really get these efforts either. And by that I mean "anyone who doesn't identify as male" part. You're trying to promote equality, or at least I assume you are...by excluding someone? As if there was any difference if a simracer identifies as male of as female. It doesn't matter in the slightest. It shouldn't matter. You can't even begin to guess who the person you're racing against is and/or how they identify. You've likely raced women or non-binary people without even knowing before. It's completely irrelevant in simracing to the point where it literally could not be more irrelevant. It shouldn't matter in IRL racing either, tbh (but I realize it's more complicated IRL). So why not simply make a truly diverse field regardless of gender and/or how someone identifies? Wouldn't that prove the point in a much better way? I really don't get it.)

Last edited:

mceci1

250RPM
Jan 18, 2015
What the hell. Sim racing is one of the few aspects in the world where political correctness hadn't created a barrier and males and females could race together, now PC culture has come after that too. Repeat, sim racing literally has no barriers. You are creating problems where problems didn't exist by bringing this stuff in. For the sake of all that is proper, let sim racers be sim racers without this bull.

McGherkin

100RPM
Premium
Jul 23, 2017
Charlie is great, I’ve had the pleasure of racing against her and she’s fast.

It doesn’t really bother me that it’s an exclusive series, it’s not like there’s a limit to how many racing leagues can be created.

Paul Glover

RaceDepartment Social Media Manager & Podcast Host
Staff
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
(I frankly don't really get these efforts either. And by that I mean "anyone who doesn't identify as male" part. You're trying to promote equality, or at least I assume you are...by excluding someone? As if there was any difference if a simracer identifies as male of as female. It doesn't matter in the slightest. It shouldn't matter. You can't even begin to guess who the person you're racing against is and/or how they identify. You've likely raced women or non-binary people without even knowing before. It's completely irrelevant in simracing to the point where it literally could not be more irrelevant. It shouldn't matter in IRL racing either, tbh (but I realize it's more complicated IRL). So why not simply make a truly diverse field regardless of gender and/or how someone identifies? Wouldn't that prove the point in a much better way? I really don't get it.)
So your issue here is that men have been excluded? Do you not think that not just in sim racing that women and those in the LGBTQ+ community feel uncomfortable and not included? This usually includes online.

Quite recently someone in a discord channel put a comment like ‘stop being so gay’ and I pulled them up on it. That person probably didn’t meant any harm in using that term, but iI suspect that would have offended someone who is gay.

As soon a post on here is about Women certain people will do what many men do, turn against it and often start making sexual comments. If a woman was to read that I can’t imagine they are thinking, what a great bunch of people i’ll happily race with them.

This isn’t about exclusion! This is about opening the door to others who will hopefully get hooked on our great hobby, quite honestly Martin I am genuinely disappointed by your point of view here. Actually, not just yours but others too.

We need other communities to work on their inclusion, it will take time where views like yours will fade with time. Unless you can become more inclusive?

When something like this is announced this is how it generally goes:

‘league announced for women or LGBTQ+ Community’

Men respond with ‘what about us!?’

Completely missing the whole point

Last edited:

VernWozza

500RPM
Original poster
Staff
Feb 3, 2017
So your issue here is that men have been excluded? Do you not think that not just in sim racing that women and those in the LQBT+ community feel uncomfortable and not included? This usually includes online.

Quite recently someone in a discord channel put a comment like ‘stop being so gay’ and I pulled them up on it. That person probably didn’t meant any harm in using that term, but if you were gay I suspect that would have offended someone.

As soon a post on here is about Women certain people will do what many men do, turn against it and often start making sexual comments. If a woman was to read that I can’t imagine they are thinking, what a great bunch of people i’ll
happily race with them.

This isn’t about exclusion! This is about opening the door to others who will hopefully get hooked on our great hobby, quite honestly Martin I am genuinely disappointed by your point of view here. Actually, not just yours but others too.

We need other communities to work on their inclusion, it will take time where views like yours will fade with time. Unless you can become more inclusive?
Add to that I created two communities and both of them discriminate people based on a couple things, nothing was said about those, in fact it was quite the opposite reaction.

TyXo

1RPM
Apr 9, 2014
I never came across a league that said "men only".
It's not only about being "men only", but it's also about having something that people that don't identify as men, to watch and/or race with people they relate with, besides their love for motorsports.

Last edited:
Reactions: sergheo
Mar 14, 2011
I agree mate. Also not a word said about the countless clubs, leagues and communities designed for men only. They’re ok.
I haven't driven in a league, although I have been thinking about it recently that I should find one. My question comes from the lack of experience and a little bit of doubt. What is designed for men only in leagues, clubs, communities?

On topic, I can kind of see both sides discussed here. On one hand it is great to promote and open up simracing to everyone regardless of age, sex, etc. On the other hand with simracing the only barrier of entry is one's wallet. Sports are usually segregated to not favor men due to their potential physical advantages. In simracing that is absolutely not a factor, but segregation is still there. I doubt anybody had problems with female only events. However in the case of non-male only events the line why an event was created and segregated is getting quite blurred.

Don't get me wrong, I am a straight man, I have absolutely zero problems with anyone who wants to be someone else or wants to love someone else as long as they find their true happiness and feel comfortable, and I cannot understand people who oppose it. I just wanted to emphasize that people are used to segregation in sports due to fairness in competition, that's probably why we see a bit of unrest in the comment section. This event is not segregated due to fair play (however artificial might it be in simracing). This event is segregated to promote communities. Look at it that way.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with this event or the organizers.

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Dec 26, 2006
Please name them ?
There are plenty of communities that are exclusive.

Men over x age racing, men under x age racing, simracing for dads, simracing for Brits, simracing for French, simracing for Christians, simracing for Latinos, simracing for game x, simracing for console y, simracing for level z.

This is not a bad thing per se, on the contrary it makes a lot of sense in some cases. But when women want to race other women in a high-quality organized series some people get upset? Hmm.

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Dec 26, 2006
Just to add: check with your partner in which kind of simracing series he/she would like to join: a female or male series.

My girlfriend was pretty clear about it: she would love to race with other women just for the banter.

Unfortunately she quickly added the universal reason why most people never race in online leagues: "but i am not fast enough".