Charles Leclerc - 2019 Ferrari F1 Driver?

Ferrari hasn't had a rookie driver since 1972. Granted, Leclerc won't be a rookie next season, but it shows they don't tend to take chances on unproven talent. I say he needs at least 3 years in F1 before being promoted like that. Red Bull seems more likely to take that risk, so we might get RIC to Ferrari, and Leclerc taking his old seat.

But, we also have to think about the huge regulation changes for 2021. I think a lot of drivers are looking for contracts that extend to 2021, and the market will be very wide open after that. Leclerc to Ferrari in 2021? Much more probably. And who knows...in 3 years time we may see retirements from some of the older drivers. Certainly Alonso and Raikkonen will be out, but we may also lose Vettel, Hamilton, and perhaps Grosjean, Hulkenburg, and Perez by then.

I think no. After Kimi can be Riccardo as much more experienced driver but RB won't let him leave too easy because nobody can replace him. There are more chances that Leclerc will be the next #1 in Haas instead of Grosjean, or Sauber will get more Ferrari factory support next year because of their improvements in pace this year.

If the youngster manages to perform well during the whole season, I don't see why not to believe in his qualities.
I'm not sure Ferrari management (in the name of Sergio Marchionne, the man with sweater :D) want to squander some other big money into a big name, since they have Vettel already and don't want a Senna-Prost rivalry inside the team, which is also really really expensive in terms of money...

Can't see Leclerc going anywhere for next year, he needs more time to show/prove he is stable and not another Vers, who has plenty of pace but limited patience and racecraft.
I doubt Ric will be moving to Ferrari either, Vet and Ferrari don't want a driver that can challenge their #1, and Ric has already shown he has the ability to beat Vet back when they were together in RBR, Ric won't get to run a Merc either, Toto has already put that rumour down. Really don't see any musical racing seats at the end of this year tbh, but there may be a few drivers who get the big DCM, Gros, Eric are a couple that come to mind.

Nah, what Ferrari needs the most right now isn't speed, it's brains.

If A German working together with a Finn can't set that wild horse straight, throwing a fresh baguette* into the mix won't help it.

*(I kno he's not french, but c'mon with such name he would be great baker :D)

Guess we are officially starting this rumour :D

*(I kno he's not french, but c'mon with such name he would be great baker :D)

I call him Le Chiffre for some reason :whistling:
probably because of the ”le”
62B0EA7C-08A8-4D29-9A44-1B2B6AB709E3.png

Has as much chance of being Forza Ferrari 2019 as England have winning the world cup.
Thought this was crazy a month ago, but not looking so far fetched anymore. Not at all.
Looking like a very accomplished young driver now - quite possibly just as quick as MV (will soon see next year, probably) but without the lack of patience that the Red Bull driver has shown.

Thought this was crazy a month ago, but not looking so far fetched anymore. Not at all.
Looking like a very accomplished young driver now - quite possibly just as quick as MV (will soon see next year, probably) but without the lack of patience that the Red Bull driver has shown.

Yeah, I've seen enough to justify putting him in a decent ride and seeing what he can do. I consider myself a Kimi fan, but I say the time has come to bump him out of that seat and let Charles have a crack at it in 2019.

As much as I dislike seeing young talent held back for old drivers past their prime, Kimi is holding his own. Can anyone honestly say that LeClerc would be 3rd in points right now?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%