Channel 4 announce full F1 team lineup

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
C4 F1 Team.jpg

Big name signings Murray Walker and Mark Webber join the 12 strong lineup of presenters and experts due to hit UK television screens when Channel 4 take over Formula One coverage in Australia on March 20th.

With the BBC ending its coverage of the premier open wheel series three years early due to cost cutting measures, Channel 4 stepped in to fill the void and promised UK TV viewers a fresh new viewing experience as it aims to brighten up the show ahead of the new season.

With the opening round of the FIA Formula One Word Championship only weeks away the channel have now revealed the full extent of its on screen team, featuring some surprise inclusions not least of which is the return of legendary Grand Prix commentator Murray Walker and new BBC Top Gear host and former team owner Eddie Jordan.

BBC lead commentator Ben Edwards and Scottish sidekick David Coulthard make the switch from BBC alongside pitlane reporter Lee McKenzie.

Former MotoGP presenter Susie Perry will not be returning to British screens and is replaced by TV celebrity Steve Jones, joining the new look team alongside Grand Prix star Mark Webber and former Williams Test Driver, Susie Wolff.

Other notable names from the world of motorsport involved in the new season coverage include 4 time World Champion Alain Prost, Formula E pilots Bruno Senna and Karun Chandhok and part-time British Touring Car driver Nicolas Hamilton.

Channel 4 will host 10 live races (minus add breaks) during 2016 with a highlights package for the remaining 11 events.

What do you think of the new F1 presentation team for the switch to Channel 4 this season? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray Walker is a legend, amazing that he's coming back to commentating at 92! I haven't really followed F1 for years, but during the Senna/Prost/Mansell/Piquet years in the 80s/early 90s I followed it avidly, and I'm sure much of the reason for that was Murray Walkers massively enthusiastic (and often unintentionally very funny) commentating:

"As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that Alboreto is 5th."

"Unless I'm very much mistaken.... I AM very much mistaken!"

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

"This is an interesting circuit because it has inclines, and not just up, but down as well."

"Tambay's hopes , which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."

"Andrea de Cesaris...the man who has won more Grands Prix than anyone else without actually winning one of them."

My favourite:
"Mansell is slowing it down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't! It's a lap record."

More here:

Right ok... first thing is yeah, Rachel Riley would definitely be very nice to have... on the show of course. :p

But I`m quite liking the line up here and if dear old Murray Walker is going to be adding his pearls of wisdom too well... cool. :)

Bit disappointed that the beeb killed off their coverage early but I`m quite happy to wait and see how C4 handle things.

On a slightly different note I don`t think any one company be that Sky or anyone else should have a monopoly on having the rights to show all the races live when others have to settle for the scraps as it were. I know, I know it all comes down to dollars but it`s still wrong imo. The way it is now if you don`t have Sky and want to watch all the races live then you have to buy it and I know a lot of people that just won`t do that...

Anyway, I wish C4 and all their new presenters/experts all the best and I`m looking forward to seeing how things go. :)

F1 "at an all-time low" - indeed it is. But it's still the epitome of motorsport, will watch every race for sure. Never know, could be some good races this year.
Mercedes have won already though; bet is on NR for the DC this year.

Overkill with the presenters. Just like SKY, does there really need to be so many of them. Too much waffle with nothing much to talk about. DC and EJ too annoying to listen to. The fact that this thread can only get excited about an ageing commentator from yesteryear and some young female says it all really.

'The car in front is unique, except the one behind which is identical' Had to get a Murray-ism in ; )

Sacrilege

I love Murray but I think C4 are just using him as bait. I don't think he is fit enough to travel to the races so I expect he will just do some voiceovers and intros as he has done in the past for the BBC. I prefer to listen to the races on the radio anyway so you can do something else and not feel like you have wasted 90 minutes of your life.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back