Changing the default sky in RBR

S

SPERGER

• SPERGER

Can anyone tell me how I can change the default sky that is used when i export my projects to RBR. Any help gratefully received.

carl

m, not sure what you mean about the fx folder, replace what exactly and where is this fx folder? I looked in btb folders looking for a folder called "FX" .. also looked in RBR folder, gimp folder, photoshop folder.. I then did a full system search for any folders titled "FX" on my pc, nothing came up. Must I create a folder FX somwhere then put the dds file into it?

sorry im posting so quickly, im not getting a change to read your last post.. il slow down a bit :p

sorry to be a pain folks, but im still totaly confused what this FX folder is all about.. I did a search for Olocau-Gátova
this came up: http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder-new-tracks/29567-olocau-gatova.html

there are 3 files:
DivShare File - RXRSRBR_Gatova_v1.7z

what must i download??

then once i download it you said" To make it work properly I also change exported FX folder. Substitute the one you exported with the FX folder located in my exported version of Olocau-Gátova track, for example."

dose one of your files contain a folder called FX? if so, where do i put this folder on my pc? in btb? rbr? gimp?.. what must i put in the folder fx? my btb project? the dds file? the original image? , the Cielos xpack?? this is just getting more and more complicated. arg

Sorry, I don't have much time to check the links, but:
You have to get Olocau-Gatova for RBR_RX (not the btb project), which means the track for rallying.
Then go to track folder: [YourRBR]\RX_CONTENT\Tracks\Gatova, next copy the folder called "FX" and paste it into your exported track's folder (agree with overwriting of course).
Zaxxon did something there in FX's files - no matter what exactly, but thanks to him the sunlight in the game is now different and his skies look great :)
One thing - every next export of your track will overwrite the FX folder again, so I suggest to add the sky at the very end to save time on copy-paste the FX folder all the time while testing your work.
If you don't find the Gatova track, you can take the FX folder from my "GB Sprint" as well - it's the same thing since I took it from Zaxxon's track.

ah fantastic, thats great. Well i finaly managed to get it working, but hehe, just one thing.. once i place the object I can move it around fine.. but i cant rezise it or rotate it since ive no idea where the resize tool is.. what i mean is the little arrows x y z you see on an object in 3d view dont seem to be there. ive tried zooming out as far as i could still cant see them. I also tried placing the object on a specific marked spot on the terrain hoping the object itself was exported in whatever programme it was made on with 0,0,0 location coords. but i still cant see the rezise/rotate tool. I also tried everything in both wireframe and wireframe & solid views. but i just cant see it anwhere. Also once i click off the object (clicking onto another object i have in my project) i can never seem to select the sky object ever again meaning I cant even delete it, so i have to keep opening the project again and again to experiment with trying to shift the sky a little to the correct position. I read in the download info that I must put the sky object in its own group, tho im a little unsure what you mean by this... so you mean like splitting terrain? .. I opened my objects placed the sky, and before doing anything else i clicked the "split" button in the objects dialaug. In the left hand list a "split" appeared, i double click on that but I still cant move, or see the move, rezise, rotate tools in 3d view. Naturally because objects arnt displayed in any other view i cant go looking for them there.

Yes, it is hard... If you mark the sky material as double-sided, it helps a little.
There is other way how to manage it:
- Place the sky into your project and when it's still selected, click the Split button. This will create a new group in Objects' list. You can rename the group of course that you will know what it is about.
- add to the group some other object - maybe a house - just something. You can mark it as not renderable, so it will be invisible in the game
- anytime you will want to move/scale the sky, select the group with both objects, check "Hide Unselected" box, press CTRL+A to select all (both objects) and holding Shift key pressed - operate on the "house" - this will affect also the sky! :)

// sorry for the intro, I have read everything you wrote after I wrote the answer ;)

Well ive made some progress via my own improvisation but still using zaxxon's sky globe . As explained in my previous post i just couldn't edit the actual glob itself in btb whatsoever, so i booted up photoshop again and basicly tuned the texture itself, so from this orginal:
http://photoshipone.com/panoramic_skies/010708.jpg
i eventuly got it fine tuned to this:
http://www.fractalscapes.net/designs/04.jpg (image size reduced for example upload)
I added more darkness under the horizon, also shifted the offset so the sun matches rbr light sourse and also distored (pulled up) the whole image. Then i made a poloar coord image in gimp, then back to photoshop to finaly export as dds. Just a note tho, I had been experimenting with 1024 sizes and can tell you there is a HUGE difference in quality when stepped upto 2048. i might even go for 4096 (the original image has just enough resolution for this) in the final project (depending on frame rates..etc etc)

EDIT: nice trick martinez :) .. will use that for last min adjustments. and thanks zaxxon for the original work in making the globes. and thanks to all in this thread for the info and help.

a new sky really makes a difference to my current project

Cool :) It was not my idea, Zaxxon once told me of somebody else, who was that clever :)
Of course - bigger textures will look better on huge objects. If you don't use mipmaps etc, it can be .jpg as well, so you don't have to keep "the powers of 2" rule. I mean if you create some new object for the sky dome. And really big .jpg will be smaller file than the same size dds.

um, this object spliting / merging isnt working at all.. it worked once when i did it the first time, when i rezised the building the sky also resized, but as soon as i clicked away from it, and selected the group (merged sky and building) only the building was editable.

Although i can get the texture sitting in the way i want by brutforce distortion in photoshop, there is still a gap under the horizon showing the horrible neon default blue rbr sky. I need to lower the skyglobe, but I just cant seem to do anything with it as soon as ive either placed it or clicked away from it, despite it being attached (merged) with another object.

I noticed when using this method, the light scattering is slightly different then rbr default light. I thought to myself, "is this similar to a hdri effect?", but changing the sky dosent seem to change the light in anyway.
I had a little look in the files that zaxxon provided and came across sky.fx. I see here alot of interesting options. Now i know already things like fog and night are impossible without converting to original rbr, but I was thinking that if zaxxon managed to get a slight difference in light using this skybox method would it not then be some way possible to tweak some of the setting in this sky.fx to perhaps darken or brighten the light scattering?

I tweaked a few things myself. but im not having much luck.. To be honest im not even sure if this is possible.

in other words, am i wasting my time here? heh

Hi folks.. have used the dummy object thing for a few projects with no problems at all, but my latest project for some reason the trick refuses to work for me. I have a sky that needs to be scaled up a little so it has a little more height, and also needs to be moved down so the edge can not been seen from the highest point of the "temp road" route i put in. Right now i cant even delete it, I dont even know if i have it selected.
Ive spent a good while trying to fix this, but I just dont know why this one is not working but other projects have worked fine.

Anyway perhaps someone could have a look at it for me, to see if they can do what I said above and/or explain what is so different about the skybox in this project and not others
www.fractalscapes.net/designs/btb/desert01.rar

Note. in this version of the project I have not placed a dummy object..etc but i have pre-split the sky on import into a listing and named it "sky" before doing anything else.

I sure hope someone can help, Im all out of ideas.

EDIT : am using zaxxon's ceilios object i should have mentioned

ah cheers zaxxon, actually i think i know what i did wrong, i was loading the wrong backup .. in which I messed up splitting the sky globe in the first place.

By the way, im trying to make a my own globe object with a little bit more poly detail. The sky texture im using right now is also being used as a background image for terrain. In other words ive added a panoramic landscape to the bottom of the sky. Ive made it into a polar globe (in gimp)..etc. The only trouble is the skybox that you made is a little low poly on the texture of the terrain. The sky is as usual perfect, but the terrain (near the horizon).. is angled where the edges of the hemisphere is., I hope im explaining my self clearly :/

anyway.. i made a hemisphere in max, uncapped the end, and flipped normals.. But im a little unsure how to map a polor texture onto it. Ive messed about with various settings on uv map modifier, but I cant seem to get the texture sitting right on the object.
Do you happen to know the correct mapping method to achieve this in max?

and also, if i use my globe instead of the object contained in celios pack.. but still copy the fx folder content into my rbr/project fx folder, will there be any errors? and Will it keep your lighing / haze settings?

thanks anyway, and would be great if you could give me some further advice on those questions.

all the best!

ah cheers zaxxon, actually i think i know what i did wrong, i was loading the wrong backup .. in which I messed up splitting the sky globe in the first place.

By the way, im trying to make a my own globe object with a little bit more poly detail. The sky texture im using right now is also being used as a background image for terrain. In other words ive added a panoramic landscape to the bottom of the sky. Ive made it into a polar globe (in gimp)..etc. The only trouble is the skybox that you made is a little low poly on the texture of the terrain. The sky is as usual perfect, but the terrain (near the horizon).. is angled where the edges of the hemisphere is., I hope im explaining my self clearly :/

anyway.. i made a hemisphere in max, uncapped the end, and flipped normals.. But im a little unsure how to map a polor texture onto it. Ive messed about with various settings on uv map modifier, but I cant seem to get the texture sitting right on the object.
Do you happen to know the correct mapping method to achieve this in max?

and also, if i use my globe instead of the object contained in celios pack.. but still copy the fx folder content into my rbr/project fx folder, will there be any errors? and Will it keep your lighing / haze settings?

thanks anyway, and would be great if you could give me some further advice on those questions.

all the best!

I don't use max. I use Blender.
Nevertheless, I didn't use Blender for that. I uv-mapped my object by hand, not using any tool.

The FX folder has nothing related to the object. It should do the same effect no matter what objects you use.

Thanks guys.

I haven't tried that method you suggested yet ehrelc.

I did find this however

I think this is a way of mapping a polar texture onto a dome using uv unwrap.
Ive had some success with this, but to be honest ive not had much experience with UV unwrap.
I got to 7:15 in the video. But as soon as he clicks edit, he has the dome displyed in the uv-unwrap window. All i see is this:
http://fractalscapes.net/designs/btb/dome_problem.jpg

I tried zooming in and out, but i cant see anything.
You can see in the 3d preview that the landscape (horizon) should be much lower, so I was going to use relax just as this guy did in the video, but cant proceed since he seems to be looking at something completely different to me in the UV unwrap window.

Not sure what to do next, but if i cant get this to work, ill try your method later.

By the way the download link regarding this page is dead
http://btbtracks-rbr.foroactivo.com/t616-skydome-mesh

also not entirely sure what you mean by " icosphere mapped to a cylinder"
I know what an icosphere is , and i know what a cylider is, but not sure what you mean.
do you mean unwrap a sky according to an iconshpheres edges/faces? then map that onto a cylinder? .. Im having difficulty envisaged that.. dunno

anyway, perhaps this is a question better asked on a max forum, but as its btb related, i thought i may aswell ask here.

In short, I want to create the same sort of object zaxxon made but with a little more polys.

regards :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 115 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing