Changing down to 1st gear causes car to spin

Most of the time whenever I change down to 1st gear from lets say 3rd the cars always spin. I am using a G25 with automatic clutch and the H shifter. I do use the clutch but it still tends to spin. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
This does not happen on Race 07, GT2, is this because I need to change my driving habit because they are older cars?
Any driving tips would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance?

Yeah, to paraphrase Croucher (a GTL driver from a while back on here) "First is generally a mistake".

The clutch isn't really going to be much use if you are shifting down way too early. If the rears are turning too fast for 1st gear at the engines redline, the sudden engine braking & gearbox resistance will hoik the rears loose just as catastrophically as having an all rear brake bias and stamping on the anchors. Change down at slower speeds and at lower revs.

Overall, 1st is only used to get off the line, and after that, 2nd is normally the lowest gear you'd need. There are a couple of true 1st gear corners, but they really are exceptions, and not the norm.

Blip the throttle as you shift down, drive the cars smoothly - jerking or throwing them into turns won't get the best from them.

Don't believe this man...he might not be the quickest of them all, but he's definitely quick lol.

But surely listen to his advice though, and join the GTL Club, you will love it. I'm currently hating my life for not allowing me to join them every week like I used to before.

Had a feeling he maybe fast after seeing all of Stuart's expert advise on all things GTL related. You do not know all that and be a rubbish driver.

I might well join the Lotus Elite event you have coming up on the 14th July, bit fearful though, as I am certainly not quick and do not want to cause an accident and ruin it for somebody else when I am being lapped for the 17th time. :)

I will practice and see how I do, I am guessing if I can keep up with the AI on Pro level I will not embarrass myself too much?

As offline timing yardsticks go, it's about the best you can do, tbh, but that shouldn't stop you from joining. You will learn so much more online than by racing AI. Anyone here will tell you that.

(And you absolutely can know this sort of stuff and not be fast - you just need to pay attention to your multiple failures. That's what I did :D )

Just be aware that the Elites in that race are mods - they aren't the default Elite, so don't be practising against the wrong cars.

Had a feeling he maybe fast after seeing all of Stuart's expert advise on all things GTL related. You do not know all that and be a rubbish driver.

I might well join the Lotus Elite event you have coming up on the 14th July, bit fearful though, as I am certainly not quick and do not want to cause an accident and ruin it for somebody else when I am being lapped for the 17th time. :)

I will practice and see how I do, I am guessing if I can keep up with the AI on Pro level I will not embarrass myself too much?

Nah, jump right in :good:. Online racing with real people is much more rewarding, both fun and learning-wise.
The AI can be tricky. I tried to gauge my performance driving with them, but it was pretty off in most cases. Also, those Mini races early on in the career are impossible :D

Like Stuart said, that's a mod car, but I thought it was Lotus Elan, not Elite :tongue:

EDIT: whoops, hadn't noticed the Elites, thought the Tuesday event, Elan vs Mini was in question :redface:

Nick, hope your having fun with GTL. Like Stuart says & almost everyone that drives here in the GTL Club the best place to learn is driving in the club races. We all have to start somewhere & it's the best place to learn belive me. Yes the game can teach you the tracks, default ones, but the driving side of things can only be learnt on track with others, plus don't hesitate to ask any questions no matter how stupid you may think they might be & we are all willing to help a noob. Hope to see ya soon in the club.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back