Changes in 2013\2014 G27 ?

Hi
My g27 broke and I RMA'd it with the international warranty, got a replacement from 2014 ! First thing I noticed, the box is different. I didn't find a picture, but it has this new logitech products picture on it : http://gaming.logitech.com/assets/47833/11/g27-gaming-wheels-images.png
But this thread isn't about the box. I think the steering wheel is different too , not in a good way. First, when I connect it, it calibrates after 5-10 secs, The older G27 started to calibrate immediately. Not that I care, but it shows some change in firmware.
But the steering feels even more disconnected than ever. If you ever tried something like DFGT\MOMO\DFP, you know the feel of the vibration delivered directly to your hands. With the G27 you feel like there is some slack in the gears, and 90% of the vibration is wasted on this slack, generating tons of noise, and very weak vibration feel. This also means when you make rapid small corrections mid-turn, you have about 1-2 degrees of no resistance each time you change the steering direction.
With the new G27 this became worse than ever - it feels extremely disconnected.
For example if you play the "f1" car on assetto corsa, you know how much accuracy you need in the steering to get a good time. I used a DFGT when I was waiting for the RMA, and now I can't drive it anymore at all with the G27. It feels so disconnected.
So any chance logitech is silently cutting on costs with even lower quality G27 hardware, or just a worse firmware? I really wonder if someone else tried the 2014 G27.

My only experiences are 2014 G27, however the software is still from 2010, shouldn't be a problem ;)

I was wondering if that noise was 'supposed to be' or a minor defect in the wheel, but if you have it it should be like that I guess :p

Upvote 0
Yeah it did this 3 or 4 times during racing, but now I switched USB ports and everything seems fine ;)

I'm about 100% positive you were just using a flaky USB port, that's why I asked. If the wheel loses its USB connection, it will start the calibration process again because it thinks you just connected the wheel the first time.

Upvote 0
They changed packaging, no other differences. It's been posted on the internet on another forum somewhere about the packaging changes.
firmware is changed too, I don't know what exactly but obviously there's a change if is calibrates only after a few seconds when I plug it. The old ones calibrate the moment you plug it.
I was using the DFGT for the 2 months when my g27 was broken, seriously I can't get as fast and accurate as I was with the DFGT.
The noise and the built-in dampening that makes drifting impossible for example with the DFGT is an absolute deal breaker for me, so now I'm unhappy with both wheels. :(

Upvote 0
firmware is changed too, I don't know what exactly but obviously there's a change if is calibrates only after a few seconds when I plug it. The old ones calibrate the moment you plug it.
I was using the DFGT for the 2 months when my g27 was broken, seriously I can't get as fast and accurate as I was with the DFGT.
The noise and the built-in dampening that makes drifting impossible for example with the DFGT is an absolute deal breaker for me, so now I'm unhappy with both wheels. :(

I really liked the G27 except the dead spot in the center. I really tried to overlook it and just enjoy it, but after driving with my brothers T500RS, I sold my G27 immediately and bought a T500, its SO much better than the G27 in every way and much quieter, no loud popping and clacking when going off track or running over curbs. But it gets better, I bought a Thrustmaster TX about 2 months after I had my T500 because I wanted Xbox One capatibility and then realized that the TX base is even better than the T500, however the T500 pedals are still better than the TX pedals so I use my T500 pedals with the TX base which are compatible with each other.

Moral of this story, if you're unhappy with those wheels, do yourself a BIG favor and save up the money for a T500, its a night and day difference.

Upvote 0
oh if I had the money, I'd burn both these wheels lol ...
I think the DFGT has the dampening feel on purpose to make it worse than G27.
If you disconnect the motor from the pcb it is super light and smooth, almost like g27. So there is some big resistor that's loading the motor and making it so heavy obviously. Maybe it's possible to just short it ? I might give it a try some day.
I always wanted to try DFGT PCB on the G27 with only 1 motor, but it failed to read the steering movements when I tried it. I even took the optical encoder from the dfgt and replaced the g27's one. I think the optical encoder moves way too fast\slow due to the different gears, and the dfgt can't calibrate to these inputs.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 193 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing