Changeable weather is not working with only one track cycled on the server

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Test 1 (server with only Knutstorp in the cycle)

What i already thought for a long time seems to be true after some testing with the dedicated server.

Changeable weather aint working at all when you have only one track running on the server

Currently i have a Knutstorp STCC server running and when i boot the room it indeed selects a random weather type.

Knutstorp Values First Run
Code:
Practice: Track: 20C, Ambient: 23C, Conditions: Damp
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Qualy: Track: 27C, Ambient: 25C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Warmup: Track: 27C Ambient: 38C, Condtions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Race: Track: 20C, Ambient: 23C, Conditions: Wet
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

Knutstorp Values Second Run
Code:
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

Knutstorp Values Third Run
Code:
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

No matter if i vote next session or next track (with only Knutstorp in the cycle) it will give the same values over and over again!!!

Only when the room is closed and fired up again it will give new values to each session.

This totally blows the weather lottery fun in our leagues. Hopefully this is a bug that be can fixed because it sucks enormously and takes all the fun away that random changeable weather can give!

Changeable weather does not work with only one track cycled on the server!

Test 2 (server with Knutstorp and Anderstorp in the cycle)

Knutstorp Values First Run

Code:
Practice: Track: 27C, Ambient: 31C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Qualy: Track: 27C, Ambient: 35C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Warmup: Track: 27C Ambient: 30C, Condtions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Race: Track: 27C, Ambient: 36C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

Anderstorp Values First Run

Code:
Practice: Track: 27C, Ambient: 38C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Qualy: Track: 27C, Ambient: 19C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Warmup: Track: 27C Ambient: 28C, Condtions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Race: Track: 27C, Ambient: 35C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

Knutstorp Values Second Run

Code:
Practice: Track: 27C, Ambient: 17C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Qualy: Track: 27C, Ambient: 15C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Warmup: Track: 27C Ambient: 32C, Condtions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Race: Track: 27C, Ambient: 21C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

Anderstorp Values Second Run

Code:
Practice: Track: 27C, Ambient: 36C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Qualy: Track: 20C, Ambient: 21C, Conditions: Damp
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Warmup: Track: 27C Ambient: 37C, Condtions: Dry
[I]Next Session Vote[/I]
Race: Track: 27C, Ambient: 31C, Conditions: Dry
[I]Next Track Vote[/I]

Repeat changing tracks infinity and there are different values after a track is loaded :good: Can we please have the option to load the same track twice on the server?

I have no comments on the ridiculously high temperatures all the time for a track located in Sweden because skipping from 21 to 36 degrees Celsius between sessions on Anderstorp is ofcourse very realistic :(:shut-mouth:

The funny part (not) is that I've brought this several times in RD events since the 2nd patch (the 2nd after evo) came out.
If I go looking for forum posts there must be at least 2 or 3 where I typed about this.

The answer I got was along the lines: "hoo... its equal for everybody”, "did you select changeable or random?" :pissed-off:... must be my written English :)

Using your examples as background:

There are basically two types of people racing events:

1. Those who know the rain will came in race and don't bother with dry practicing sessions,
  2. Those who don't have a clue and try to perfect a dry setup (thinking the weather will be truly "random" and race might be "dry").

That is the main reason why many race07 leagues don't bother with changeable weather.

An intersecting thing; when evo expansion come out (before the patch), it worked well (no need for second racetrack).

Btw, I’m not even "complaining" about hot warm-up (35°) followed by race in rain in SWE… that is a bad joke, but it is another kind of joke :p

We need a tool in likes of N.A.W. for GTR2… but I guess if it doesn’t exists by now it's because the things got harder or impossible somewhere in between :wink2:

Noticed that a long time ago, that's why I usual have the set the server right before the race so it is random for everyone and people cant log in before and cycle through the sessions to see what is coming.

The changeable weather itself is working great within sessions. This nights league for example the qualy was soaked and wet in the beginning and damp-condition at the end. Unfortunately nobody had the guts to wait untill the end and snatch poleposition! :D

The answer I got was along the lines: "hoo... its equal for everybody”, "did you select changeable or random?" :pissed-off:... must be my written English :)

Using your examples as background:

That is the main reason why many race07 leagues don't bother with changeable weather.

We need a tool in likes of N.A.W. for GTR2… but I guess if it doesn’t exists by now it's because the things got harder or impossible somewhere in between :wink2:

The changeable weather works fine if you know how to set it up, you either reset the server before the race or you load 2 different tracks in the gui when setting it up and by doing this then you get random changeable weather with every race, this i pointed out to Eric and Simon some time back.

But it is still screwed up with the temperature based on the location where you can get high temperatures and rain at locations like Sweden or cold tracks in the middle of summer in Italy and again the warm up session should be the same weather as the main race but it never is.

We had the F3000 race at donington a couple of weeks ago where the race was damp but it did start to rain more towards the end of the race so yes you do see some differences.

NAW was great for making weather files as it gave you a gradual temperature increase based on your location, it could give you various degree's of rain during a session but what let it down was that every one race in 3 was guaranteed to be wet as the probability factor was just set to high and everyone who had access to the server could check the weather and exactly to the second when the rain was due to start by simply looking at the weather file so yes it had it's good points as well as bad.

So yes if it is set right then the changeable is fair for all but you do need 2 different tracks loaded or reset the server for it to work.

I know i would rather not know what weather to expect, like last night i had done no practice in the wet to it was great fun feeling how the car felt and learning as the race went on how far you could push it, or as the rain eased some tried dry tyres but found they had made a mistake, but if you have it predetermined at x amount of rain then it is not nearly so much fun.

...and everyone who had access to the server could check the weather and exactly to the second when the rain was due to start by simply looking at the weather file so...

I've full trust in our race directors even when they themselves are part of the main contenders in an event :D

Jokes aside, I do agree with your post...

It’s funny how a simple thing (at first looks), like a "random event" (a number for instances) can become a problem for everything machine related and in truce to humans too.

server reset works for me. i prefer the unknown and even playing field it gives. would of course be better to not have to mess about and have the vaklues reset properly by the game.

Bram, as for realtime weather on the level of MSFS, thats probably unlickly, since flight sims basicly are weather sims :)

I've full trust in our race directors even when they themselves are part of the main contenders in an event :D

Jokes aside, I do agree with your post...

It’s funny how a simple thing (at first looks), like a "random event" (a number for instances) can become a problem for everything machine related and in truce to humans too.
Yes i trust them also. i was just trying to point out that NAW was fatally flawed and that if we use the changeable weather that we now have properly as it was designed by either resetting the server or loading 2 different tracks in the gui then it is our best option (at the moment).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%