Challenging Times at Red Bull as Verstappen and Ricciardo Crash in Hungary

Who is to blame is pretty Obvious :D silly poll but never mind.

And sooner or later there will be fireworks anyway, both drivers want to win the WDC and as soon as they have a championship winning car it will be on. Although with Renault as engine supplier I highly doubt they will be able to mix themselves into a season fight with Ferrari and Mercedes in the next couple of years but that aside.

The comment of Damon Hill @ Sky I found actually funny him stating about that it was part of youth compared to the experienced drivers. Well if I look back at the past 40 races it is actually his 2nd genuine cock-up that leads to a direct retirement of another driver. I have seen other more experienced drivers making more f.ck ups then Max has done so far.

Challenging times are there as soon as RBR creates a championship winning car, only then we get to see how good of a friends Max and Ric really are.:cool:

Last edited:
Riccardo got it bang on against Verstappen,he,s becoming more of a liability than the potential a lot of people are putting in to him..

Maybe you should read some articles about how Marko/Mateschitz and Horner thinks about Max. And in the way Ricciardo had commented we have seen a little glimps of the true Honeybadger. Like I said, as soon as they have a winning car it will be on between the two, Daniel knows it to that a WDC with RBR is not a done deal yet with Max in the team and that he is going to have his hand full on him.

Time will tell.

• Deleted member 113561

As a Max Verstappen myself the penalty was deserved but 10sec is too harsh. He locked up and he collide it but he clearly didnt do that on purpose. I mean he could avoid the incident. But with Vettel had also 10sec penalty in baku where he did that on purpose
This is bs ...
So okay I hope next race Hamilton "accidentally" hits all cars infront and gets only 5 sec all the time ...

Imo Verstappen should have got a drive through penalty. He killed someone else's race, on purpose or not doesn't matter. Compare it like this: You accidentally killed someone in real life - you clearly didn't do it on purpose and yet you go to prison, because you had your weapon not under control.

Max is always on edge and this time he judged it wrong, even worst for him that it was his team mate that he made this mistake against on track where Red Bull could've gotten a "great" result.
Something you get even told in simracing on a regular basis:
YOU DON'T WIN A RACE IN LAP 1

All part of being young and aggressive.
Thats no excuse, other young drivers manage aswell without causing so much trouble.

So, are you able to tell why Bottas is allowed to ruin a race for Raikkonen twice (Barcelona and Baku, and Verstappen in Barcelona) without any punishment, and this is immediately 10sec and in fact a double punishment for Red Bull.

That is the bs.. yes Verstappen was over aggressive here, but why are punishment so inconsistent this year? Completely like punishing with the top of their heads, that's what stewards seem to do this year.
Verstappen admitted he was wrong, also his father said just after it happens 'dat is dom'. 'that's dumb'..

It feels to me more and more that the Mercedes and Ferrari drivers can do anything they like. The FIA just doesn't dare to make decisions that will have an impact in the drivers and constructors championship. Yet instead they punish others much harder.

Last edited:
I think Max played too much F1 2017 on his PS4:rolleyes:.
Of course he practiced to take Ricciardo out. Just like Ocon did to Perez.. People will never make a mistake.
Verstappen should have realised that he would be understeering off the track, it was a stupid mistake. Just like Bottas should have understood twice that an inner kerb will push you off to the outside. But people aren't perfect. People make mistakes.
Max's replies show this was not intended and that he made a mistake which made him a passenger of his own car. I think Ricciardos words were mainly because it was just after the heat of the action. He knows Verstappen is a very capable team mate..

Simple fact: you can`t make everyone happy - some people are never happy
We called for action, more aggressive drivers and what happens each time a harmless incident happens? "Call the stewards - call the stewards: dq driver xy he made a scratch in car 000" A new public enemy for the next two weeks...

Come on, it´s racing - not the teletubbies...

Anyone remembers the Renault R5 Cup?

It was fighting door to door, bumper to bumper - I remember them figthing around the Nuerburgring Nord - Brünnchen: 5 cars side trying to get through the exit curve and nobody backs a millimeter off.. ok 2 made it. One was lying on the roof, no problem with a little help from the marshalls, two cars looking like they lost some parts and made some scratches into the guardrails.. but all continued. And now guess what happend next lap, with another pack arriving?
This was pure racing and nobody was complaining.

• Deleted member 113561

Anyone remembers the Renault R5 Cup?
You can't compare openwheelers with touring cars.
You can easily rub sides in TC, but in openwheelers it ends pretty much always in a crash or so.

You can't compare openwheelers with touring cars.
You can easily rub sides in TC, but in openwheelers it ends pretty much always in a crash or so.

Sorry, but you totally miss the point. It has nothing to do which kind of car is driven. (And open wheelers once were driven by tougher guys, you don`t remember Arnoux vs Villeneuve?)

It is all about the racing spirit,the essence of motorsports which has gone lost. :thumbsdown:

The results are boring races, crybaby drivers and some guys behaving like the superior race stewards(just like soccer, where everyone in front of his TV set is a better national team coach), calling for penalties and a FIA forcing rubbish like halo...:(

What would be the next penalty for a driver causing a simple race incident? Tar and feather him? Forcing him to write a thousand times on the pits wall: "I`m bab bad boy, i took a small risk trying to overtake. I promise to do it never again."

You can`t have both, exiting races and drivers, always poilitical correct and behaving like model pupils.

Last edited:
Good old Karma has a way of catching up with you in racing. ;) Drivers forgive, but they never forget.

Hell, Mad Max isn't even the best Dutchman on the grid. :laugh:
Or is K-Mag from Denmark? Same thing. :redface::)

The better question is WTF is the FIA smoking? C'mon Charlie. Or whoever was in charge. (Eying you Charlie). :cautious: Let me see if I can get this right...Markalov gets run off the track by Rowland (I think) in the F2 race, at 180mph, breaks his back (almost) and there is no penalty (that I saw in the race). K-Mag pulls one of the sweetest "Pruitt fades" (according to Paul Tracy) and gets a penalty? What is there now, a penalty for sweet-ass driving? C'mon FIA...bunch of rip roaring morons.

Max should of been more cautious because it was his teammate, but it wasn't intentional the way Danny Ric made it sound. Too many penalties, they need to encourage racing, not discourage it.

Verstappen is not a good driver yet. He still thinks he is driving on the PlayStation. He is not even on the quality level of a simracer. He has ruined his own season earlier this year by not having been carefull enough to take the car till the end of his races and now just ruined Ricciardo chance to stay in the top 3
This has got to be one of the funniest things I've read on here so far, coming from someone on the internet who has never driven a competitive racing car in his life.

If Verstappen thought he was still driving a Playstation, he wouldn't be besting his teammate most of the time. If you really believe that he isn't of the level of a simracer, you should ask yourself if you actually know what it takes to be a racing driver?

And then you blame Vertappen for mechanical failures and a kamikaze Kvyat. Are you kidding me? :laugh:

You see, what happened with the Youtube linked video in the thread above is EXACTLY why I stopped watching F1 and ceased any interest in the sport a couple of races ago (it was the time around the Monaco GP when I got finally fed up and stopped following F1 to be more precise).

The owners of content rights of F1 make it unbelievably hard for fans to follow the sport - it seems like their only goal and drive is in fact making it impossible for any long term and potentially new F1 fan to learn about the sport or get informed about events except when the content is channeled through their own controlled sources who bleed through their noses to pay up.

Even for paying fans like myself it is literally impossible to rewatch events.

F1 is completely dead to me and the new management does not seem to have the vigor to turn the big pile of dung, Bernie has developed F1 into around just yet.

I am pretty sad, as F1 used to be the crown of motor racing, the highest level of motor sports technology with the very best of drivers and most prestigious of teams - it is not even a shadow of itself any longer :-(

As a Red Bull fan, this just sucks because it ruined their race (and potentially the viewers race) and it was just unnecessary. It's awesome to see him make up places and be aggressive, but Max has had 4 first lap incidents this year and while they weren't all his fault, more experienced drivers learn not to put themselves in situations where things like this happen.
I think the penalty was right and different to Bottas in Baku. in that situation he was alongside and slid sideways into Raikkonen because of the kerb, here Max locked up and slid forward into Ricciardo, small distinction, but it apparently makes a difference.
Everything Ricciardo said was correct, but he should have said it to Max behind closed doors and they could have sorted it out quietly. I get that it was heat of the moment, the fact that he loves this track and everything was looking awesome on Friday, then things beyond his control cost him grid spots and put him out of the race, but he knows better to face the blood thirsty media with an axe to grind.
I've been pretty critical of Max's entitled attitude this year, but to his credit he apologized for the accident. I still think they'll be fine and we'll see a funny twitter/youtube video of them doing something goofy to squash the beef and they'll move on.

Peeps common...it isnt the end of the world. **** happens! "Never second guess and operation from an armchair". Max got a penalty, could be fair of not...it happenend. Head down, onto the next race. We are only info half season.

• Deleted member 113561

Max should of been more cautious because it was his teammate, but it wasn't intentional the way Danny Ric made it sound. Too many penalties, they need to encourage racing, not discourage it.
Okay if you do it like this: Then you encourage collisions. That might be exciting for the fans (yeay more for the crash compilations) but is a huge safety problem and from a driver perspective its not funny at all. You get hit you are out and if that happens to many times and you don't have enough points at the end of the season, you might lose your job. Or is it okay for you to be DNF'd in a race in a simulation of your choice?
They're racers, they're here to compete for victory, not to DNF because somebody lost control of his car.

Penalizing is the right way. I mean you see many other drivers (ie. Alonso) who can engage in wheel to wheel combat without crashing into the other guy and yet it looks spectacular. One problem on that is that some (new) drivers are paydrivers and are not quite ready for a F1-cockpit, pace and mentally wise and that the F1 was too soft on many occasions, allowing this dirty racing (ie. squeezing someone off the track) to manifest.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back