Chair suggestion for sim-racing?

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this...

I have a G25 and shifter clamped to my desk and pedals on the floor and I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem is my chair, it's getting old and it's really uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions for a gaming/office style chair that is suitable for sim-racing? I have seen a chair that I really liked but it's a bit expensive, the GT Omega PRO. My budget is something under ~ € 120.

Thanks.

The thing that annoys me most about gaming chairs is that they fail to actually offer gaming features, they are styled on racing car seats and that is about it. If they came with the ability to bolt steering wheels and pedals or lock their rotation and lockable wheels then we would at least start to talk about gaming chair like features. But alas they are just overpriced office chairs.

You end up with two basic choices at the lower budget end, either you go a wheel stand and a fixed chair or you get something like a playseat challenge those are the two low-end options before you get a full sim rig. The other route on the cheap end is some plywood cut correctly with the pedals mounted on them to push to the wall under your desk so they don't move and some caster cups for any office chair that stops it moving backwards but it won't solve the rotation although it's often not a big problem, depends on the chair.

Upvote 0
The thing that annoys me most about gaming chairs is that they fail to actually offer gaming features, they are styled on racing car seats and that is about it. If they came with the ability to bolt steering wheels and pedals or lock their rotation and lockable wheels then we would at least start to talk about gaming chair like features. But alas they are just overpriced office chairs.

You end up with two basic choices at the lower budget end, either you go a wheel stand and a fixed chair or you get something like a playseat challenge those are the two low-end options before you get a full sim rig. The other route on the cheap end is some plywood cut correctly with the pedals mounted on them to push to the wall under your desk so they don't move and some caster cups for any office chair that stops it moving backwards but it won't solve the rotation although it's often not a big problem, depends on the chair.

Yeah, I don't really like these "racing" chairs either. I searched for some on amazon but absolutely NONE of the "racing" chairs had a picture of someone using them for sim-racing, or any features that make them have an advantage for racing over other chairs. The problem is I want a chair that can get pretty low to the ground, so my legs are elevated towards the pedals, and again NONE of the "racing" chairs could go as low as I wanted them to. This just shows how they really are just made for regular PC use. Regarding the chair and pedals moving, thanks for the advice but I already got that fixed. I put a rubber mat under the pedals and little rubber castors under my chair. This 100% stops them from moving.

I guess I'll just go to a local store or IKEA since I can't find any good chairs online.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Whatever you chose, don't fall for the "gaming" chair fad. Buy a good office chair that its actually comfortable. You wont be experiencing any g-forces.

Yeah, after a few minutes looking for chairs online I quickly realized these gaming chairs don't have anything special about them. I was hoping to buy the chair online but it really seems impossible to know if it's good just by a picture. I'll just go to a local store later.

Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
After being a desk-jockey for years and putting up with seized up knees after 15 minute races I finally thought '**** it' and took a chance on a second-hand Playseat Challenge.

It

is

BLISS

The only downsides I've encountered are - it has some flex in the wheel mounting (but only in the pitch axis which you don't really notice while you're driving), plus you sit lower than you ordinarily would at a desk so I bought a cheap mount so I could drop the monitor a couple of inches.

Upvote 0
Last month I bought a new computer chair at Staples. It was the Lazy Boy 'Winston' model. I then went online to find some lockable caster wheels to replace the stock wheels. Installed now. I'm quite sure the chair will not move back when I apply the brakes.

My new sim car components coming tomm (Friday) and hope to set up Saturday. I'll check back in with how the chair/pedals movement/or lack thereof, is going.

Upvote 0
The only downsides I've encountered are - it has some flex in the wheel mounting (but only in the pitch axis which you don't really notice while you're driving), plus you sit lower than you ordinarily would at a desk so I bought a cheap mount so I could drop the monitor a couple of inches.

it is I think also a little snug. I also feel the vibration from the FFB in the seat, so I am losing FFB fidelity into the chair/frame since its not super heavy. It is so much better than from the desk however that I can't ever go back.

Upvote 0
I got a playseat challenge too. I would not describe it as bliss, but it beats any office or gaming chair in my opinion, and it beats some actual sim racing chairs in some other people's opinions.

The only issue with the playseat challenge is you would need to disassemble everything to use an office chair, and will still need to find a novel way to mount your shifter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought an 'executive racing office seat from Ebay a few years ago. It looks and feels exactly like a race seat. Instead of putting it on it's office stand/castors, I bolted it to a pair of seat runners (also from Ebay) and mounted it on a wooden base.
You can always get similar seats on Ebay for less than £100.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing