Central Tracks Location

Is it possible to have multiple GSC installations that point to a central tracks location? I.e. as in rFactor an install for:

F1 1960s mods, F1 1970s mods, F1 1980s mods, F1 1990s mods etc...

All of them have no locations folder but point to an "OpenWheel Factor" install that has all tracks. As you probably know this saves HDD space and cuts game load times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, new to GSC and am totally impressed. Awesome job - this is what rF could have and should have been.

Thank you,

FraPP!!!

I have not tried it but this should work - go to config.ini file in each of your GSC folders and edit the TracksDir= to change the location of the tracks directory (and vehicles and any other mods you want).

I've used a junction / symlink solution, so in my un-modded GSC installation I have all the tracks, and in any mods I've deleted the contents of the Locations folder, and used a junction point to point the empty folder to the un-modded GSC Locations folder. This post in the Blancpain Endurance mod thread should give you an idea of how to do it.

Basically open up a cmd prompt, browse to the mod GameData folder, then type in the command there (mklink /J Locations C:\GSC2013\GameData\Locations), changing the path of the installation where you're storing the tracks.

I use a program I found online that helps you create all sort of symlinks. I know you can do them the old fashioned why but even though I am a programmer I have an aversion for command line.

The one I have (I hope it is the one I ended up installing) is called:

HardLinkShellExt_X64.exe
or
HardLinkShellExt_win32x64.exe

Also I found another EXE called:
vcredist_x64.exe

In the same Symlink directory I created in my download folder.

I did it so long ago that I don't remember exactly what I did but essentially one of these programs gives you a contextual menu that lets you create symlinks of various types very easily.

Wherever I downloaded this I remember there was a good explanation of how they worked.

Here is a good article on symlinks:http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

EDIT: The software mentioned in this article is exactly the one I am using. II just realized that after reading it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%