Cayman GT4 Heading to iRacing

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Cayman GT4 Announcement.jpg

iRacing have confirmed the small but perfectly formed Porsche Cayman GT4 will be heading to the simulation in the near future.

Speaking at the recent Frankfurt Motorshow, iRacing Executive Vice President Steve Myers has confirmed that the lovely Porsche Cayman GT4 is in development for the iRacing simulation, and is estimated to be made available this winter.

Unfortunately, Myers didn't go into great detail about the agreement to bring the GT4 spec Cayman to the online racing title, so expect more news and previews to following in the coming months..

Stay up to date with the latest news, check out the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I hate GT4 racing. It's a slower version of the already to easy to drive GT3's, but the fanbase seems happy, so i guess its a good thing. It does fill out the Michelin series nicely.
That is the strongest opinion I have ever heard on GT4 racing! It is also the only opinion I've ever heard on GT4 racing! :p

You do have a valid point though...I think the big appeal of GT4 in real life is that it's at a lower price point than GT3, so it fills a little niche. Am I dying to drive these cars in sims though? Meh, not exactly. I'm like you, the GT3s are already in a sweet spot - easy to drive, but not so slow you get bored.

But, we live in happy times for sim racing. The thought that we are getting new cars and going "meh, put it on the pile over there, I'll get to it when I get to it" is actually pretty remarkable. It wasn't that long ago we were all hunting rFactor all over the interwebs.

That is the strongest opinion I have ever heard on GT4 racing! It is also the only opinion I've ever heard on GT4 racing! :p

You do have a valid point though...I think the big appeal of GT4 in real life is that it's at a lower price point than GT3, so it fills a little niche. Am I dying to drive these cars in sims though? Meh, not exactly. I'm like you, the GT3s are already in a sweet spot - easy to drive, but not so slow you get bored.

But, we live in happy times for sim racing. The thought that we are getting new cars and going "meh, put it on the pile over there, I'll get to it when I get to it" is actually pretty remarkable. It wasn't that long ago we were all hunting rFactor all over the interwebs.
GT3s are easy to drive but the GT3s on iR are not that easy, on the R8 you have to go on the limit to rotate the car to go the fastest you can but if you just go 0.2s over the limit, you are dead.

I don't understand the release policy at all. This is exactly the same thing as with the TCR. Why don't they release at least 2 or 3 cars of the same class at the same time AND with a proper BoP so that people pick his favourite car and go racing? There is no series in the world sporting just the Audi TCR. And if there is a Cayman GT4 Cup series, I really don't know anything about it.

Meanwhile Raceroom already have 3 including the Cayman, and the total cost is less than one iRacing car
I agree, but you are also paying for a service outside of just content.

I'm looking forward to iRacing deploying AI, and hopefully a remodel of their pricing to allow the purchase and racing of content completely offline.

I would pay to race, but being a family man, time does not allow to fit into specific schedules Iracing has. I'm more of a casual racer, who sporadically jumps online.

I agree, but you are also paying for a service outside of just content.

I'm looking forward to iRacing deploying AI, and hopefully a remodel of their pricing to allow the purchase and racing of content completely offline.

I would pay to race, but being a family man, time does not allow to fit into specific schedules Iracing has. I'm more of a casual racer, who sporadically jumps online.

There is an important point that you make having to do with time commitments.

I think there is a different mentality involved with iRacing where you practice a track and then race it rather than just jumping into a race against AI when you have a spare chunk of time. So if you just want to jump into a race, then I think AI is the way to go. In iRacing as a courtesy to other racers you really should be prepared and not drop in cold.

There is an "expectation" by other racers at least in the groups I've talked with that you have taken the time to practice and learn the tracks being raced on a given week. Since the tracks change you actually do have more work to keep up with what is being raced and that does mean that there is "overhead" each week. In addition you need to register before a race and it probably make sense to get in a few practice laps and qualify for position before the race starts. So there is additional time outside of the actual race and as mentioned races are scheduled and depending on what you want to race, you may need to wait for the next race to start.

The point about being a family man is a valid point ESPECIALLY in the early years of parenthood. It's important to have your priorities in order! My kids are out of the house and I have more "me time" to play as I see fit and that does make a difference.

I think the authenticity of the experience does impact the convenience factor. If you are comparing this to the time and effort involved to prepare for a race weekend, iRacing is extremely convenient. If you compare it to starting a race at any time on any track with any car, then it isn't very convenient. This all depends on the time you have to spend, the money you want to spend and the experience you are after.

Like anything else in life you can't have your cake and eat it too. Despite how much I'm enjoying iRacing, I wouldn't tell anyone it is the only or best experience for everyone. It does depend on your needs.

Last edited:
@DonZmeuheu, given all the disagree's on anything not praising iRacing in this thread are from you, goes to show you're a fanboy.
Disagreeing to a comment, pertaining to having to pay to race on top of paying for content - why do you agree with this model? :O_o:

Why I agree with this model? Because I can afford it and dpnt think about it. The Pricing Model is why the Online Races are so damn good because it keeps People out of it who only wanna play. I'm not a Fanboy at all but I have problems with People hating and bashin too much without enough understanding of Motorsports. But when you think I'm a Fanboy thats fine. Have a nice day

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 494 39.2%