rF2 Caterham Series - Season 3 - Superlight @ Brands Hatch - Fri 25th June

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Thanks for a terrific night's racing guys, really enjoyable! Before 'server issues' i had qualified 3rd or 4th, and wasn't looking forward to re-qualifying since i'm generally awful in qualie. However, lucked into P2 and once the race started i was bombarded by Gary, Henri and Chris and probably a few others! We all raced side-by-side until some sort of order was reached, but then i put a wheel on the grass and i spun at graham hill bend. (a la Jamie Green in DTM a few years ago if anyone remembers) Concentrated hard and gradually began catching the guys ahead and had a nice battle with Adam in the process.

Race 2, the reverse grid saw me in 3rd. Decent start, but again i was headed by Gary, Ben, Can and Chris very soon. Can put up a good defense we all vied for track position, but eventually myself and Chris were both in front, closely followed by Nicholas. (In both trios we were three-wide at several points) After some close dicing Nicholas & Chris came together, Nicholas went off, Chris continued, and i followed (again). We raced for what felt like ages until Chris touched the paddock hill bend gravel trap and that was that. Meantime, Gary was off and planning on what he should have for supper. Tried to catch up but he was too far ahead. Damn!

This was a version of Brands i hadn't tried before, but it felt nice to drive, and barring a few draconian gravel traps and some dodgy-looking textures, it's a winner. Thanks all for the quality racing, and cheers stu for negotiating the perils of dodgy servers!

Proper bit of racing Superlight style,im sure im still working out the little "nuances" between these things and previous Cats,a rather large battle with Chris Heller helped speed up my learning curve with a fine tussle right down to the finish line,3rd for me 2nd for Chris.

Away a bit better from the start in 4th race two and took my chances on the Paddock Hill wide line and got away with it too,not sure if anything was gained like?,but nothing lost and join in the front battle as it gets more and more frantic and busy ahead,just fail to avoid a spinner at Druids bit lose very little with a small scrape,im finding good exits from Surtees letting me get moves done at Hawthornes,good fortune and lucky breaks are with me in this one and i get a run up the hill to Druids on Can and take the plunge inside to pass,it could have been tidier tbh,i just couldnt hold in as tight as i planned,but i felt no contact all through the turn and Can was still all 4 wheels on the tarmac and he had 2nd place when i looked back,so he somehow anticipated and made the room,cheers m8,...from then on it was maximum push watching the battle rage on behind,which ofcourse played in to my hands as well,built the gap up to about 7secs or so then stroked it home the last bit for what seemed like a very unlikely win tonight.
Well done Henri and all the podiums,just as well done all who finish and enjoy their battles along the way,Cat races are quite well known for very few dull laps.

Thank You Stu & RD.

Had a great night, so many battles, so much enjoyment.

Quali: Put the car in 10th which was better than the original quali but I knew the car could go quicker.

Race 1: Made a great start and jumped a few people. Spent the opening laps battling with Stuart and Graham, before I managed to get away a bit. Then came across Ross, who was recovering and had a few good laps with him but this allowed Can to catch us up and ultimately put a nice manoeuvre on me and in the process of trying to get him back I ran a bit wide and lost some time. Spent the next 7 or 8 laps trying to reel Can in and got right on his tail for the final couple of laps but with Can defending his position well and some small mistakes in trying to find a way through meant I missed out on 6th by 0.5 seconds.

Race 2: Started 7th and got another good start. Had a few battles with the cars in front and then found myself trying to defend against both Nick and Jose. Going into turn 1, we were 3 wide and ultimately we touched and speared off track. Jose hit the gravel trap with us but I don't know whether he got caught up in it or lost it on his own. Rejoined in 9th but a couple of laps later a big accident allowed me to move back up to 5th. Ben caught me up towards the end of the race, and we had another good battle before I span it and just drifted home in 5th after Chris had retired.

All in all, a great nights racing and thanks to the many of you I enjoyed battles with. I was dripping with sweat by the end.

Thanks to Stuart and RD for this event.

I had a Great time, I thought the Caterham's where going to have more grip but dispite that I enjoyed evry single corner EXEPT from the moment where I went of track and got lappet. I hope to see you next week.

Stinker of a night for me - a real shame as the cars felt great and what racing I actually got to do was excellent.

An apology to all for the aborted Race1 shenanigans - I don't know whether the server got changed by a restart or whether it was me setting it up incorrectly, so I'd better hold my hand up there in case it was me after all. Thanks again to all for your patience there.

Race1 - Got away OK, the scene got set for a nice little battle, but got hit at the entry to Paddock Hill, which speared me off into the wall and smashed my engine. Race over within 2 minutes.

Race 2 - again a decent start, actually got through a couple of laps where again some good racing was shaping up. Caught a little sand on the way up to Druids, which cost me a few places, but no matter there. Caught up to a couple of drivers ahead and had another nice little dice, but got tapped into the right hander after the long straight, which again put me across the sand and into the wall. As I tried to drive out of the sand, I was leaving a big cloud of smoke behind me and my engine again slowly died.

So, a bit of a disappointment for me, but a good event overall. These are going to be a cracking League vehicle.

but got tapped into the right hander after the long straight, which again put me across the sand and into the wall. As I tried to drive out of the sand, I was leaving a big cloud of smoke behind me and my engine again slowly died.

really sorry about that stu, i thought about going down the inside but made a hash of backing out of it and slid into you :(

race 1. got a decent start and held my 7th place, but on lap 2 a car infront spun and i couldn`t see through the smoke and hit him which killed my enigne.

race 2. started near the back and took it easy to start with and avoided any smoke clouds and climbed up into the top ten. around half distance and stu was catching me and was soon past i was hopeing to stay close and have a nice fight to the end but a mistake by me put stu out.

these superlights get my vote over the academy class

My races were very short ,

first Q ok p9 not bad, second Q p10/11? after 2 laps going a bit wide out the corner an get hit sending me in the wall an lost a front wheel,race over own fault.
Watch the race from the pit ,great fight between Gary an Chris very entertaining.

Race 2 start from p18 going off halfway the first lap put me in the middle of the track an get hit frontal engine dead ,race over sorry to who I was a road block.

O well the car feels great giving some more time in it an up to the next race.

The 2 races were nice :) These Superlights are great!

Race1: Starting from P19, got a DC afterwords so I didn't start on P10... A race without incidents for me, just a small spun on turn number 4... finished on P8, great result.
Race2. Starting from P18, A race with 2 spuns and finishing in P7, again, great result :)

I want more event like this one! :D

I had a Great time, I thought the Caterham's where going to have more grip but dispite that I enjoyed evry single corner EXEPT from the moment where I went of track and got lappet. I hope to see you next week.
TBH, I can't think how a car with no aero could get too much more grip than these Cats on their sticky tyres.

If you join this week's event in the academy cars, you'll see what I mean - they are heavier cars on road tyres and much less grip.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 396 40.0%