rF2 Caterham Academy @ Kyalami79 - Friday 8th January 2010

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, Hans, it'll be great to see you in rF as well as GTL :good:

Download links and skins are now in the top post, PM on the way with the password.

The skins go in the 'rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\Caterham\Academy\skins' folder, and then selected on the skins tab of the vehicle chooser in game.

OK Anders - I've looked into your skin, but there's a *.veh (vehicle) file included.

We aren't using veh files with the rf Caterhams, because that makes it a standalone car. If we go down that road, then we'd have to keep the server up to date with all the user created cars, but if we just use skins we don't need to touch the server at all. Right now, if you put your car into your install as a standalone car, you won't be able to connect to the server, because your car isn't present on it.

And more importantly, if I do update the server with your car, someone else who doesn't have your car will be prevented from joining the server.

If you just put your skin in the skins folder, it doesn't matter if you or anyone else has the skin present, if they don't have it, they'll see a default skin, if they do have it, they'll see your skin, but no-one gets prevented from joining.

Because of that, I'd urge you to only use it as a skin, not a car. I don't really want to update the server and possibly prevent people from joining while the Cats are still a new thing on RD. If it takes off, then we can think about a proper car pack, but for now, we'll just use skins, not cars. I hope you understand.

And for everyone else, that means just dropping the ATM_59_Academy.dds file from your archive into the rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\Caterham\Academy\Skins folder. If they do that, they will see your car, but no-one gets a possible refusal to join.

Anders, don't worry about it, mate. :)

I didn't know that was how rF worked until it was explained to me a couple of months ago. :D

Using the skins folder is so much more simple, and a really elegant way of doing it.

no idea what i need to do with the skins and also when i enter the game it says you can not get the car because of not enough experience points. LOL iam not experienced haha in a lot of things iam not maybe ;) but in rfactor i have done fore sure more then 100.000 laps and the game still says iam an experienced driver.

OK, gents.

Firstly, the skins just need to get extracted into the 'rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\Caterham\Academy\skins' folder. If you drop the skins in there, that is the correct place.

Hans, any of the Academy class cars will do. The Peanuts one is fine, for instance - they are all identical performance within the class. You can always choose the Hans skin to put over the top of it.

Ferry, make sure you are trying to choose an Academy class car.

OK - assuming you have dropped the skins into the directory I mention above, and you have purchased an Academy class car correctly, BEFORE you go into a race, you will be at the main screen with the car slowly spinning. Go into the "Customize" tab, and click "Vehicle".

You will be taken to the vehicle chooser, with your current car highlighted. There are 3 tabs above there, one marked "skins". You will then see the skins you've just dropped into the folder I mention above.

Choose the skin you want to use (assuming you want to use one of course), and you will see your car clothed in the skin. You can proceed to the track from that point and you will see your car in the skin.

I'll supply some screenshots when I get home.

As promised, a step by step for skin implementation...
cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

cat3.jpg

cat4.jpg

Anders, we had only 6 or so last time out in these, and it was brilliant then, so I'm expecting this one to be just as good. What I mean is - don't worry about the numbers too much.

It's only the second event in these cars we've ever run, and the field has grown already, probably off the back of the enthusiastic response from last time out.

If we keep having good events, and people keep saying how good they are, the field will hopefully grow nicely.

To be honest, I'd rather it start slower and builds through word of mouth, than start off with a bang, loads of people and then slowly dwindle away.

I love these cars, they are conducive to some of the best racing - bar none - on RD.

So as long as there's demand, I'll make sure there will be races. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back