Caterham Academy 2020

Cars Caterham Academy 2020 1.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
if you can provide pictures of all the cars (side/front/back), it's always an option to do some of them :)

edit; you have them by the way : https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-academy-2017-skins.20545/

some of them are probably still racing ?
Thanks Ben - am i mistaken or is there only 2017 on that link? If you dont mind me asking im new to AC and haven't downloaded it yet - its there any step by step guide for everything i need to download and install to get these cars on my PC?

Thanks in advance!

No worries :)
There are several skins, some of them are officials, some aren't, and are of my creation! Hard to find pictures of them all

In general matter, there is a guide here for installation of mods : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/mod-installing-tutorial-video.135781/

The car mods go here : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars
(that's the default installation of steam and assetto)

And the skins go here : (they work for both rhd and lhd)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\bo_caterham_academy_lhd\skins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\bo_caterham_academy_rhd\skins

Don't hesitate if you need more help :)

This car is back in rotation over at simracingsystem.com as a daily race! I love it.
One complaint however is that at race start, my framerate drops to about half of what it normally is. Just this car, and only when there are a lot of cars nearby. Is there something special about this car that would tank framerate only when in close proximity to others? It IS a mix of both LHD and RHD racing, I suppose... I'm guessing they don't share any assets given the file structure.

hey thanks for your message
LHD / RHD are complete different cars in the way Assetto handle things, even though 90% of the textures are the same. Same as the Countach with/without spoiler are two different car folders.

The issue already noticed before with the academy is the number of objects, a little higher than what it should be!
And said issue i can't fix much anymore since i lost the 3D files last year :(

hey thanks for your message
LHD / RHD are complete different cars in the way Assetto handle things, even though 90% of the textures are the same. Same as the Countach with/without spoiler are two different car folders.

The issue already noticed before with the academy is the number of objects, a little higher than what it should be!
And said issue i can't fix much anymore since i lost the 3D files last year :(
Extract the car and save the persistence files with 3dsimed,
will generate a new .fbx and the sdk files and also textures,
the mesh will be triangulated, which is fine if your not editing it again,
but replacing mesh and settings and adding new features and such will work great,
animations movement will be lost inside 3ds max, but again its fine if the cars work makes no difference. :)

Extract the car and save the persistence files with 3dsimed,
will generate a new .fbx and the sdk files and also textures,
the mesh will be triangulated, which is fine if your not editing it again,
but replacing mesh and settings and adding new features and such will work great,
animations movement will be lost inside 3ds max, but again its fine if the cars work makes no difference. :)
ripping my own car :D
i started doing this for the 420, really wanting to finish it
but then... realised it's way more work than i thought, like go over linking everything with the suspension, no way.
I mean, way, but not anytime soon at least!
This method to do the LOD C & D will work though

Hi,
First of all amazing mod the car feels superb.
If I'm allowed just bit of feedback - I cannot seem to get any heat in the tire model and the car has the constant cold tire feeling - is there anything that can be done to remedy this ?

Super!

This car has been great fun on LAC with my one screen 1080p queen.
Thanks for your hard work (Car & LAC). Sent you a little token of appreciation.

Last edited:
don't know if it's the same car but it looks similar (though from the description at the beginning it's not an Academy)
Roadsport, it's the category above, differences are very little:
The road-legal Roadsport race car is a simple development of the 125bhp Ford Sigma powered Academy car; its performance significantly enhanced by the addition of a rear anti-roll bar and Avon ZZS road legal track tyres (developed jointly by Avon and Caterham).

Well, is there a mod for the roadgoing 270? Just asking because the Academy car itself is road-legal and the conversion from the 270 to the Academy car is just a few touches away (such as removing the roll cage and fire extinguisher). According to Caterham, the differences between the Academy and the 270 are(I might be wrong, found the information from Caterham's Academy website and the Caterham configurator):
  • Caterham Motorsports Ford 1.6 Sigma Engine - 125bhp vs. Ford 1.6 Sigma Engine - 135bhp
  • Avon Academy Control tyres vs. Avon ZZS (or Avon ZZ5 for base 270S)
  • Academy Road & Race suspension for Academy car, either Road suspension or Race suspension for road car (the former is for the 270S, the latter for the 270R)
  • Both the racing Academy and the roadgoing 270 can use the Apollo Silver 13in wheels, but it is optional for the latter, both for the 270S and the 270R.
  • Composite race seats are the same on the Academy car and the 270R. The 270S uses leather seats instead. 270R seats are available without cost on the latter car as an option.
  • Same gearknobs between the 3 models
  • Dashboards are the same between the 270R and the Academy car. The 270S uses a different material, although the 270R dash is an option.
The following items are both available on the Academy car and the 270, but are options for the latter:
  • Lowered floors (includes driver and passenger side)
  • Battery master cut-off switch
  • Plumbed in fire extinguisher
The following items are installed on the road car and not available on the Academy car:
  • Shift lights (only available on the 270R, available as an option on the 270S, not available on the Academy car)
  • Half-doors (only optional on the 270S, not available on the 270R or the Academy car)
  • Aero screen (only available on the 270R)
  • Interior carpeting (only available on the 270S, not available on the 270R or the Academy car, for obvious reasons)
The following items are installed on the Academy car and not available as options on the road car:
  • Driver’s 6 point race harness (the one on the 270R is a 4-point system. The 270S uses a conventional 3-point seatbelt.)
  • Driver’s arm restraints
  • MSA approved roll cage and padding (actually optional on the other trims, but if you keep that, what's the point?)
  • Sprint timing beam breaker
  • FIA approved rain light
  • MSA compliant tow straps
  • MSA fuel sampling coupling
  • Timing transponder

Hey yeah i know all the variations of the Caterham competitions :)
this one was too similar from the Academy to really make sense.
I made the 420r instead :)

Besides.. as mentioned, i lost most of my files for the Academy and other mods, so making the 270 would be too annoying now... shame really

Last edited:
Ben O'Bro updated Caterham Academy 2017 with a new update entry:

Material Edit (online compatible)

- ONLINE COMPATIBLE with previous version -
so no worries if the server still runs the Academy 0.93
it's just a visual update.

View attachment 372976

Just a quick tweak on the material of the body paint. (will look the same as the 420R)
and matching said paint between LODs, as well as LHD / RHD
(one more skin bonus, meanwhile i sort all of the season 2020, should upload them soonish here ...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing