AC Caterham 420 R Race @ Zandvoort - Weds 29th July 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Was joking of course, I really appreciate your reply and your suggestions. I'll have a close look at all of 'm.
Not tonight though, got used to the way the car drives now so I don't wanna risk driving "another" car when the **** hits the fan....

Made a video guide :)

Hope it helps you guys deal with the understeer without using an unstable setup

Attachments

• race.ini
    1.2 KB · Views: 68
G
Anyone can be quick driving a 720r though ;)

Seriously, nice work :)

Haha cheers! Not familiar with these cars at all!!

Hopefully it's easy to follow . There is nothing fancy really, the only skill there as such is lifting sharply off the brake and quickly turning in .. to get the front to bite before the weight comes back onto the rear wheels, making oversteer without having to touch the setup and destabilize the car.

The need for developing setups is good fun and part of the art but it can lead us newbs down rabbit holes never to reappear on occasions. Is it possible to run fixed setup races on the AC server and if so might it be worth throwing in the occasional newb friendly fixed setup race so all anyone needs to worry about is learning the car as-is?

@Medilloni Looks like I should be able to join after all, work finished a bit earlier than expected and the lovely wife had dinner on the table when I got home so might even get on for the start of practice.

D529D9F8D7D603F3F57E69106BE3BD0EF4FD5EC8

I meant that you should move the slider to the right 5 clicks. My interpretation of the pop up info is that "negative toe gives less midturn grip, instability under braking, and faster turn in". I want the opposite of that so I just slide the slider to the right (+toe) till my laptimes stop getting faster.
Ah good, then we're basically on the same page! :thumbsup: The AC GUI is confusing as hell because it's not clear what they mean by positive or negative toe, and moving the slider right is a more positive number on the control but a more negative number on the live toe in the car status part of the screen.
In fact, I *think* the generally understood definition is that negative toe is what you have when the live status goes negative (can't absolutely swear to it tho!), which means the the front-most parts of the two front tyres get further apart. (You can actually see this by using the F5 camera and then tweaking the toe settings.
Making it negative ought to help the front end, but weirdly enough (like I said last night) the car was just as quick for me with positive toe! :roflmao:

Wow you have certainly spent more time analyzing all that than me. Bravo! I only look at me laptime delta - it either goes green or red depending on what I do with the setup. By only adjusting one setting at a time you can feel how it affects the car and combined with the delta its either a better setting or not.;)

Wonderful experience guys !!
The tension is driving me crazy seeing everbody appearing in the rearview mirror (again )
Hope I wasn't too much in anybodies way on the track !!

Doubt if this will ever be my cup of tea but I enjoy the race atmosphere and the sportsmanship of these events.

Thanks for that ✌

Last edited:
The tension is driving me crazy seeing everbody appearing in the rearview mirror (again )

Doubt if this will ever be my cup of tea but I enjoy the race atmoshere and the sportsmanship of these events.

Thanks for that ✌
its a newbie thing when im in with other cars i,m too concerned about ruining somone elses race then you loose concentration and next thing you pointing at the armco lol

Doubt if this will ever be my cup of tea but I enjoy the race atmoshere and the sportsmanship of these events.

Thanks for that ✌
You did fine as far as I could see it. And we've all been there where you are now.
If you want, we can practice together sometime for a coming event. I'm a lower midfielder (or high backmarker) in this community so I'm someone you can concentrate on, lap times wise. I can then share you my setup and we can do some laps in equal cars where I will let you follow me.

Yeah, I agree with Han, you did fine. I was just looking at the replay and you are doing what I used to do to begin with and not using enough of the track by going into the corner near the middle of the track and missing the apex by a country mile! You'll figure it out with practice. If you can try and focus ahead a little it'll help to get more consistent when to turn in. I still make plenty of mistakes, but they are gradually becoming less frequent

id like to take you up on that offer aswell Fazzi, i think im taking the corners too tight by not turning in later on the turn and also im sure im not in the right gears somtimes, when i do try a lower gear i lock up and skid off so to follow somone better around the track would be great

That was excellent. 10/10 combo. Never thought much of this track before but these cars really brought out the good in it. Some great racing. Sorry to @Medilloni for cut back into you in the first race. Was trying to cut back on the car that passed me. Done similar to @Han fazzi in the second... Wasn't expecting you to be following the other car up the inside. Not sure what the rules of the road are there. Possible dive bomb/tailgating grey area territory?

id like to take you up on that offer aswell Fazzi, i think im taking the corners too tight by not turning in later on the turn and also im sure im not in the right gears somtimes, when i do try a lower gear i lock up and skid off so to follow somone better around the track would be great
Of course Kev!

I think this is when you are not matching the revs with the speed, which seems tricky to do if you don't have shifter and clutch. Not all cars suffer from it, GT3 seems especially tame to me. To avoid it, I tend to just coast around the corner and then downshift when getting on the gas
is it worth it scott to use the clutch when your only using paddle shifters?
id love to try manuel shifter but i think i have enough trouble getting round the track as it is

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 87 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 60 6.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 125 13.7%