AC Caterham 420 R Race @ Zandvoort - Weds 29th July 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Hmmmm got to admit I'm a little sad, not what I was expecting at all. Is there ANY setup that gets rid of the oil tanker understeer and gives this car the front end bite and neutral balance it should have?

Yeh but even when it does oversteer it's not nice adjustable predictable oversteer so it's difficult to use to make you quicker, it's not like you can give it a bit of throttle to tighten your line as most of the time that just seems to push the front even more. This thing should handle like the G55 Ginetta on steroids, nice front end, fairly neutral and adjustable with either the brakes and throttle but the front end doesn't seem to want to hook up. If my kit car had handled like that when I finished it I think I'd have chopped back up into little parts :roflmao:

Last edited:
I'm having some framerate issues with that car model; anyone else experiencing it? I tried putting everything to it's lowest detail setting, but with a grid of 18 cars my fps drops to around 50 at the start and if I have a car near it struggles to get over 70. I can just about get a fairly consistent 90 fps with around 3 opponents, but if get up real close to the back of one it tanks. Tried loading up with a lotus 2-eleven and it was super smooth 90fps even at the start with a full grid of 18 cars

Well , opposite to what I have found, :(you have to be patient with most cars, the speed you are driving is always the absolute limit. The fact the some alien is quicker does not diminish the fact that we are all on the limit.
I’m pretty sure we do not all purposely dawdle just for Chris’s sake.:roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
Hmmmm got to admit I'm a little sad, not what I was expecting at all. Is there ANY setup that gets rid of the oil tanker understeer and gives this car the front end bite and neutral balance it should have?
:p Hiya Chris, it understeered too much for my liking in stock setup too - have you tried the setup I put in the opening post? It's not the quickest, but has (imo) controllable oversteer on-throttle, and as mentioned with the setup, playing with the diff setting makes a huge difference with steer-by-throttle.

Long time since I drove a 7 on track (30+ yrs ago) so probably incomparable to these cars, 'specially cos it had a 1.6 Ford Cortina engine:laugh: - I remember even then it had some high speed understeer 'built in', though slow to medium corners you could alter your line just with the accelerator.

Well , opposite to what I have found, :(you have to be patient with most cars, the speed you are driving is always the
absolute limit. The fact the some alien is quicker does not diminish the fact that we are all on the limit.
I’m pretty sure we do not all purposely dawdle just for Chris’s sake.:roflmao::roflmao:
I think this sums it up Ernie, I lack patience to a fault, then get frustrated and over-drive. My setups too are usually poo 'cos if it drives how I like it to, it's often slower... then... get frustrated and over-drive, again:laugh: :roflmao:

I was having a play last night... totally knackered, after a day of rhubarb-root-removing:roflmao:, really struggled with it until I slowed down and then gained time. Still miles off yours though!:p

Last edited:
:p Hiya Chris, it understeered too much for my liking in stock setup too - have you tried the setup I put in the opening post? It's not the quickest, but has (imo) controllable oversteer on-throttle, and as mentioned with the setup, playing with the diff setting makes a huge difference with steer-by-throttle.

Long time since I drove a 7 on track (30+ yrs ago) so probably incomparable to these cars, 'specially cos it had a 1.6 Ford Cortina engine:laugh: - I remember even then it had some high speed understeer 'built in', though slow to medium corners you could alter your line just with the accelerator.

Yeh I did try your setup and it was better, and tried loosening the diff and playing with the shocks from there to see if I could further improve it. Maybe just having a bad day yesterday but I can't quite put my finger on it, it just didn't feel like there's an inherent balance and fluidity to the handling in there waiting to be found like there is for the G55 for example which I absolutely loved.

Not tried it with a grid but on its own or with a couple of us on track on the practice server it was fine for me, 6-7ms frame time so a solid 90fps
I have been looking at the data files and was wondering if it's because there are only 2 LOD files, but that doesn't quite explain why getting close to a single one causes it.

The detail in the model is stunning though. I think it's the best amateur mod I have seen so far

Track is really cool too, with nice flowing sections

I have been looking at the data files and was wondering if it's because there are only 2 LOD files, but that doesn't quite explain why getting close to a single one causes it.

The detail in the model is stunning though. I think it's the best amateur mod I have seen so far

Track is really cool too, with nice flowing sections
Are you getting normal performance on other tracks like Road Atlanta that we were playing around with?

I haven't played much since re-installing last Wednesday. Only tried Zandvoort and Sebring. I didn't notice any drops below 90fps on Sebring (didn't pay attention to the frame time), and with the lotus 2-eleven Zandvoort is running around 6-7ms with a steady 90fps, but once I switch the car to the Caterham it climbs to around 14ms+ when there are several cars in view or I'm close to a single one (say about a car length). I'll have a play again tonight, might be something I missed after the re-install

Had my first practice in these, damn they are fun :) looking forward to the race
How do i install the setup file to give it a try always normally use the standard setups
Glad you like it Simon:thumbsup:

Open up your 'my documents' folder and open 'assetto corsa' > open 'setups' > open bo_caterham_seven_420r_racecar_rhd

Now you'll see a list of all the tracks, drop the setup folder in the location/track of your choice. When you open up AC, in the garage setups you'll see the setup in the location/track you put it in, click it and click 'load' and you're done.

I said 'locations' 'cos I keep my setups (for the same car) in one folder ('generic') 'cos I'm not organised enough to find them in all the different tracks:ninja:

Drove some more tonight, feel a little more positive about it now and got down to a high 1:55 which I think is a bit more respectable. Anyone got any tricks to alleviating the understeer and getting it to rotate better at turn-in though, with or without the front end loaded up it seems to want to wash wide and there's little you can seemingly do to change it's attitude on the way in to the apex, if you trail brake it understeers, keep it on a balanced throttle and it also understeers, about the only way I seem to be able to get the nose to tuck in how I want it to is really upset the back end by changing down whilst turning in but that's rather unpredictable!

I just had a quick little practice, and I used the provided tune. From there I upped the engine limit to the max - of course! I also upped the braking pressure to 100 percent. The right side tires weren't the same psi so I bumped them up them up to 22 psi. I noticed a bit more understeer than I would like, so I added 5 clicks of +toe. I also lowered the fuel by a few litres. Then I changed the gearset to the shortest 6 speed avail (top speed 224km). It still wasn't quite right so then I lowered the diff to min. It seems to go where I want it to more often than not now...

Don't know if that will help you out at all...

Must admit I get a bit confused with the toe settings in AC because the description it gives is a little open to interpretation. I can't remember the exact wording but the way I enterpret it a negative number should give you toe out which is what you'd normally run on the front to help give a sharper turn in, but you're adding +5 which I think is toe-in which should make the front end lazier?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing