Catch a First Look at the McLaren 650s GT3 Coming to rF2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 McLaren 650S GT3 2.jpg

Studio 397 have revealed the first images from the controversial upcoming pay DLC for rFactor 2.. the McLaren 650s GT3.

Although looking beautiful in game, and built with considerable cooperation from the McLaren team who design and run the cars in GT3 championships throughout the world, the upcoming 650s GT3 has attracted plenty of attention within the rFactor 2 community as the very first paid DLC for the venerable racing simulation.

Build in-house by Studio 397, the new car will form part of the McLaren endorsed 'World's Fastest Gamer' competition and is set to be made available to the gaming public for an additional fee, the first time either rFactor game has been in receipt of paid DLC content since the series began in 2005.

rF2 McLaren 650S GT3 1.jpg

Priced at a reasonable 4.99 eu and expected to form the beginning of a wider GT3 pack, the McLaren 650s looks to be quite possibly the most accurate rendition of a racing car brought to rFactor 2 as first party content.

Unfortunately no release date has been revealed by the studio at present, however with the WFG competition and the apparent advanced state of the car, one can expect to be able to access the new content in the not too distant future.

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Will you be purchasing the McLaren on release? Happy to see official DLC content for the sim? Looking forward to more GT3 spec cars (officially) released for rF2? Let us know in the comments section below!

Because there is an established point of comparison. Namely, the entire game and all the existing content that comes with the game.

When the game comes with ~20 tracks and ~50 cars which you can buy for <$20 on sale... 1 single car for 5 bucks is an objectively bad value.

Of course this can sound cheap and the developers certainly deserve to be compensated for all their time spent working and their efforts in creating new content, but the point is, this comparison exists. And it cannot be denied.

You have a little problem with your logic. You are comparing a new car DLC without discount with a fully discounted game, that is admittedly pretty cheap from the get-go due to the removal of the online-subscription. For a person who payed the full 80 Euro start price it might look completely different than your perception. You can be pretty sure, that once this car gets offered in a full pack with discount, that it will sound more reasonable to you and that's most likely when I will pickt it up. If I compare how much I payed for AC (at discount) compared to their DLCs (at no discount price) I come to the same conclusion as you did, but at the end it doesn't make much sense to think about it. Prices are changing pretty often and all in all rF2 was a steal for me so far. I find the price for the car pretty high too, but it makes sense with the WFG-event in sight and if I was offering my first DLC I would do it the same way. I guess most people don't have that in mind and simply think that the full pack will be 5 bucks per car in the DLC and that's it. But it doesn't work that way usualy. :)

That's fair enough but here's the argument. Would you prefer a GT3 car that has been modelled with data from McLaren (hence the cost I would imagine) or a mod car that's been created from guesswork?

You make a very good point that is often overlooked, whilst it is great that modders do their work for free or small amounts of cash I come to question where they get their data from. Sure, some modders may get all the data (I know some that do), some modders may claim they get the data but actually they don't, some modders just create the cars physics on how they think it should be and claim it's "like real life". If I end up having fun in any of those cars then that's great, I enjoy it, but I can't help feel that I don't trust the modders work and I don't mean that in a bad way at all, just that I question how "real" the car actually is.

Which is why these days I tend to prefer original Official Dev Content over a modders work, purely because I know that the Dev has got the data direct from the car/team/engineer/whoever. That's why I have no hesitation in buying this product, I know it's going to be based on real data and that for me, these days, is important.

That's fair enough but here's the argument. Would you prefer a GT3 car that has been modelled with data from McLaren (hence the cost I would imagine) or a mod car that's been created from guesswork?
To be honest, I couldn't care less as long as the racing is great.
It's becoming 'pricy' nowadays to keep up with the latest racegames and its DLCs, so if I can save some money for future expenses then I will.

This is it, for me. I appreciate what modders do but I would much rather have content created by the developers with data and/or assistance from the manufacturer and will happily pay for that.

In general I use very little modded content in any of my sims. I think the level of complexity has reached the point where only developer-created content will do.

Just my opinion.

To be honest, I couldn't care less as long as the racing is great.
It's becoming 'pricy' nowadays to keep up with the latest racegames and its DLCs, so if I can save some money for future expenses then I will.

Yeah that's fine my friend it was just conversation if you like :)

I enjoy the URD mods and also the ASR Formula cars (which I admit are donate or paid for mods) and they are great fun but obviously some of it has to be guess work. URD certainly get a hard time on Facebook about this which I feel is unfair.

There are some sim racers who demand ultimate realism and didn't wish to buy the URD mods, preferring to purchase the Porsche 919's when they appeared as a DLC. Both are great just different routes getting to the end product, it all depends on how you want to go sim-racing :)

Last edited:
Will you be purchasing the McLaren on release?
No, seeing as even official releases by Studio 397 are not always up to standard (like with the Radical) I'll wait and see what the reviews say. If they say it's good, then I'll buy.

Happy to see official DLC content for the sim? Looking forward to more GT3 spec cars (officially) released for rF2?
Yes and yes. rF2 always deserved way more attention and dedication from its developer than in got from ISI, and DLC is income that can be spent on improving the game. Although GT3 cars are becoming a litle uverused, I still like them and the more sims feature them, the more possibilities I have to compare and use the one that I like best.

So you're saying the URD cars, which are made with no real world data whatsoever, are accurate? Out of that entire disaster of a post, that may be the most amusing part.

Note that I have nothing against the URD guys - they're a very talented group. That said, their physics aren't realistic based on the cars they're sort-of replicating, but due to that fact (not full replication) I think that's perfectly fine and understandable.

I said this to all mods not just urd. And you confirmed what I said. You have nothing against the urd guys but their mod is not realistic.

Not going to buy this car, since the question was asked, too many issues for me in this new/old beta stage game.
Keeping an eye on it to re- install when lock to horizon is available and make it playable in VR for me.

Of course i will pay. One side note. Everybody has their own right to do or have opinion on this but, ithad not sense that the people who disagree are actually playing iRacing,paying =>50€ for crappy tittles like F1, motogp, project cars, well you're catching the idea.ve paid 20€ for this game, well i have 30 more euros to spend to equal one of those masterpieces

The beauty of DLC is you have the choice to buy or not. Some people describe it as "milking" but it is up to the developer to come up with a car people want to buy at a price they are willing to pay. I'm choosing not to buy in this case but happy for others who feel differently, and look forward to what might be offered in the future.

I am not so crazy about GT3 cars but I am surely buying it because as many others said I want to participate in supporting this sim and I believe this will also be investment in future upgrades and content.

I would like to be able to enjoy some other sims that have more official "polished" content and I do to some degree. I start that other sim and I think Oh nice look at this huge car list let me try this exotic car. And then I play some and try to convince my self that this is as good as rF2 and it has so much more cars and look at that nice graphics. But somehow I get bored easily and go to startup rF2 and within the first lap I realize again and again the same truth that rF2 is so much more fun for me and feels better and I can't stop driving it.

I value my free time very high so after many enjoyable hours spent in rF2 I even feel I own this game something. And I don't care which studio is current owner and what has happened before and bla bla. I bought the game half year ago.
So rF2 has spoiled me and decreased my enjoyment in other sims and this dlc is no-brainer for me. In fact I can't wait for more stuff.

I've always been happy enough to fork out for DLC to reward developers for ongoing improvements to a game. I only balk if I think that DLC is just being used to fund development of more DLC. As far as I'm concerned S397 have done a remarkable job dragging rF2 out of near abandonware status, and deserve a few euro to help them continue to make the game relevant.

I honestly dont understand the community. 5 € in a car isn't expensive at all (price of a beer), the problem is people are comparing with the Assetto packs, but there is a very big difference in the possibilities Assetto offers and the ones that rF2 offers, rF2 in its CORE is much more complete and consequently offers more possibilities. If compared to Raceroom the same sells McLaren GT3 with "one" livery for 4 €, cheaper but we fall in the same case, the possibilities that rF2 offer are larger. Neither need to compare with the iRacing in question price and possibilities of the same (yes I know the online iRacing but I'm only taking into account the issue price per content and not service but that who signs iracing already paid the annuity). Ironically a portion of those who are finding 5 € it too expensive for a car forget that it is no longer necessary to pay to play their online and even more ironic is to be almost sure that the same people have paid for mods that hardly have access to DATA which they reproduce. If still in the face of these facts continue to find 5 € too expensive for a car, dont buy, wait for the pack that Studio397 is doing because the same has already cited the production of the same

The Radical SR03 is driving like horse-:poop: and nowhere near the real car, so first they should fix this car and maybe i buy this boring GT3-car after. Today i don´t think anyone in this Studio is capable of creating cars with accurate physics so far. Just try out the MCR 2000 in AMS for comparison, which is similar in shape and weight with a bit less bhp. Or just watch this video and try out the same:

The Radical SR03 is driving like horse-:poop: and nowhere near the real car, so first they should fix this car and maybe i buy this boring GT3-car after. Today i don´t think anyone in this Studio is capable of creating cars with accurate physics so far. Just try out the MCR 2000 in AMS for comparison, which is similar in shape and weight with a bit les.s bhp. Or just watch this video and try out the same:

Happy to have the opinion of a pro driver of radical rs3 rsx...:roflmao::thumbsup::laugh::roflmao:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 140 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%