Casual participation in online practice sessions?

Denis Betty

The older I get, the better I was.
Staff
Premium
Hi folks.
I am the proud owner of a shiny new racedepartment license.... which makes me very happy.
I'd like to dip my toe in the water by joining in one of the practice sessions that I've seen running on GTL multiplayer online facility. Is this possible? Is there any etiquette I should follow? Obviously I'm a newbie, so I'd like to make sure my computer, settings, conection etc. are up to scratch before I commit to a race.
Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Cheers
Denis

Thanks Rupe I just had a quick look at installing the car mod but it didn't show up in my garage. I'm afraid this may be a bit much for me atm. I've had a quick look for a guide to installing mods (which I've nver done) but couldn't find much. Some posts mention a mod installer? Can anyone spare some time to help me out please? I'm not thick honest, just not very techie with computers... yet.
Thanks

Ok Denis, below you will find 3 pictures i will use these as a reference in plaining how to install a mod,
but 1st lets make sure you have the cheat install.
STEP 1
to install the cheat (we all use it and is not a problem) we call it a cheat but all it does is unlock all the cars in the sim..
We have a little help section all numbered and with a link to download or it will take you to the pages that explain what it does and how it can help
GTL FAQ - Hints,Tips & links Thread
you can find the cheat ( GTL FAQ - Hints,Tips & links Thread CLICK ME ) you need to click on the car and track unlock #1 (first one in the list.)
To use it just unzip the file into your main GTL game directory. (picture 1)
Then start the game and create a new profile.(make a new profile with your name Denis Betty )
you will now see the game has 100000000 credits. and all the cars and track are unlocked.
you need to do this before we go any further..
You can always unpack any mod to you desktop and them place it in the folder also.
to unpack a mod you are going to need something like winrar, 7zip, winzip,
PICTURE 1
1.jpg

PICTURE 2
2.jpg

PICTURE 3
3.jpg

When you said poeple are helpful you were not kidding. Thanks. TBH I didn't act on some of the advice I was given when I joined because I didn't understand and was afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid. I've blown that one! So now I'm free to ask. :) All I had to do was buy the car, but now I've dumped files and folders all over the install. I think I'm gonna do a system restore or just save the necessary files and uninstall GTL and start again. I still have the disk install on my PC and I think it still messes with startup sometimes. So, questions - what are XD and PLR files for? When you say the server is up (I've not been this far yet) how do I get on the server? I'm not gonna be near my PC for a couple of weeks from tomorrow but I can follow threads etc on laptop.
Once again thanks to everyone who has helped out here, I feel a bit more confident now and once I've been through the process once, I promise I'll be less needy.
Cheers!

let me know Denis if you have understood so far ...:)
we can always go on t/speak and use this as a reference to get you up and running also

Xd is a tool that will work like a motec. it give you tyre temps , fuel usage , sector times, better than the ingame one.. it a great little tool we all use..

your plr file is where you can alter a few things in game to make it more user freindly

i wll go through each step one by one so dont panic ..

if you still have the remnant of the disc install of gtl on windows 7 it will mess your system up .. you do need to get rid of this

once you have the gtl sim up and running you need to make a online account... click me for pictures

Thanks Rupe.
I think I understand most of it. The guide you've done will save time for a lot of people in future I'm sure, It'll become clear as I run through the process. I'll need to install tSpeak anyway. Time is gonna be a factor till I get back from working at a festival. I'll keep you posted. I didn't wanna sign up for an event and have to cancel first time out.

Yeh got the online account bit. I can see events taking place. I put the password in last night but I didn't have track installed. It said the event was on a standard track. Guess that's just something the mod doesn't change? Anyway, I'll work on it and when I have q's I'll ask them this time.
Cheers

Hi Dennis welcome to the GTL club

I only got into PC sims end of last year and did n't have a clue about mods & online racing. My son show me the basics so I fumbled around at the start, then got on T/speak with Rupe for a bit with wise words from our guru :notworthy: it all fell into place :thumbsup:

If your dipping your toe your in the best place to do it :)

Dennis, welcome. You'll find the guys here are the best bunch going, and congrats on committing to what is without doubt* one of the best games ever released in this, or any other universe.*

*Exceptions will be made for any universes found to contain nothing but a great sim racing, game making, universal intelligence. But only just.

Dennis, welcome. You'll find the guys here are the best bunch going, and congrats on committing to what is without doubt* one of the best games ever released in this, or any other universe.*

*Exceptions will be made for any universes found to contain nothing but a great sim racing, game making, universal intelligence. But only just.

Thanks for the welcome Paul (Barras) and Paul Bennett. I like it here already, I'm busy for ten days or so, but I'll be taking part in my first race asap after I get back. Really looking forward to it as this will be the realisation of something I've talked about/intended to do for years.
See you all out on track. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 8.0%
  • < 5 years