Cars that Never Raced...

Here are a few cars that sadly never made it on to the track...

Audi R18 RP7
After audi decided to leave prototype racing late in 2016, they already had the car planned through.
It sadly was never built and raced:cry:.
At least, they made a nice little model of it.
Audi-R18-2017-Le-Mans-WEC-Sportwagen-WM-Rennwagen-articleDetail-951a4732-998246.jpg

And some in-depth insight by pan_nullo
ob_f19999_audi-r18-rp7-ffbrakesduct-low.jpg

Even Audi couldn't afford so many wings...:O_o:

Peugeot 908 hybrid4
When Peugeot announced their withdrawal from prototype racing (early in 2012 if I remember correctly), the car was already tested and ready to race.
7835e17642559935a3d60bce500c3e1e.jpg

Perrin My P1
A car that no one really wanted I guess...? But it still looks pretty good :thumbsup:
Perrinn_424_01.jpg

(Render by G24 Studio)

AIM-Lamborghini Jota GT1 - car that was supposed to race in 1995 24h Le Mans but legal issues between Lamborghini, team and sponsor forced it to miss that event.
lamborghini-jota-GT1-LM-south-africa-racing-car-le-mans-diablo2.jpg

lamborghini-jota-GT1-LM-south-africa-racing-car-le-mans-diablo1.jpg

Mega Monte Carlo GT1 - race car was equipped with Mercedes V8 - same one which powered CLK GTR and was supposed to race in 1999 season.
Mega-Monte-Carlo-gris-jaune-3-4-avant-droit_gallery-full.jpg

5f742f6c758edc7830dd8cbcf109da8c.jpg

Mega-Monte-Carlo-gris-jaune-3-4-arriere-droit_zoom.jpg

My personal favorite: The Lotus 88B.

A genius (and slightly crazy) design by the a man called Colin Chapman.

Colin Chapman came up with the idea to have a car which ook advantage of the Ground-effect Era in the early 80s.

It was deemed to fast and unsafe for competition.

View attachment 262051 View attachment 262052
I may be mistaken but that looks like the version without the "active" part of the suspension. It was, at the time, considered the apex of ground effects. The other teams were worried Chapman had come up with, yet again, a car that they were not going to be able to beat, even after F1 had banned the sliding skirts.

I saw the "non-active" version practice at the LBGP (Chapman brought the "active" version too, and Andretti took it onto the track but the stewards immediately black-flagged him), and it was not a very good car. The aero was off due to the lack of the "active" ground effects. Lotus eventually went back to the prior year's version and they were not at all competitive due to the advancements in aero made by Williams, Brabham and Ligier, (their aero was so efficient they did not have to use the front wings, even at the tight LBGP track).

Last edited:
The previous one didn't race (a prototype), an "evolution" with big changes did it as you could see with these pics ! ;-)

At the very same LBGP in which I saw the Lotus 88B I saw the successor to this car. The successor cars carried many of the styling cues of this car. They, frankly, looked fat compared to the other F1 cars but were mildly competitive.

IIRC, Bruno Giocamelli and Patrick Depallier both set very competitive qualifying times for the 1980 LBGP but either crashed out or had to retire due to mechanical issues.

I think later in the year, or the next, one of the Alfa's garnered a pole position. I also think that was the year Andretti raced for Alfa.

As this was bumped today, I guess I'll put in some more. Cannot remember where I read about it, but there is a reason why I have numerous external harddrives, two old HDD's in my PC, a couple of "old-style" SSD's and some M2's... and cannot find anything. Not organized, and a lot of stuff saved. Aaanyway.

The Cosworth F1 car.
dceUGIl.jpg

Fv22nh5.jpg

laFjdan.jpg

gWSFrSD.jpg

So, it was never meant to be the most aerodynamical thing in the world... quite obviously. Back when it was made, 1969, the main issue in F1 wasn't so much the aero and how to generate the most downforce while still being slick. The biggest issue was a general lack of grip. Keith Duckworth (that's the "worth" part of Cosworth) designed a 4WD transmission for the car, which was meant to help with traction in general, and that being a bigger positive than the extra weight being a negative. However, the car was heavy, and not very fast. Not helped by wings actually becoming a thing in F1 through the late 60's, and helping the traction issues in a way that didn't cost performance through weight in the same fashion. Cosworth therefor retired the car before it ever got to race.
There was a boom in 4WD cars in 1969, all Cosworth-powered. The Lotus 63, which John Miles raced for half the 69 season without much success. Even Graham Hill, Mario Andretti and Jochen Rindt tried it out. Swiss-Swede Joakim Bonnier even had one for his private team for one race. McLaren had their Mclaren M9A, which McLaren himself raced once, and never used again. Matra also had their MS84, tested by Beltoise and Jackie Stewart, and used for a few races by Johnny Gavin, who actually scored the only points in F1 by a 4WD car in 1969.
Arguably, had those cars been there in 1968, they would've had much more success, and 68 saw many races affected by rain, while 1969 was for all intent and purposes a bone dry season. The last 4WD car that was raced in F1 was the gas turbine Lotus 56, which, according to Colin Chapman should've won in 1971 in a rainy Dutch GP if not for David Walker crashing. (That is the same Walker who didn't score a single point for Lotus in 72 when Emerson Fittipaldi became champion for Lotus).

Anyway, BRM also had an unraced 4WD car, the P67
ugvz1lL.jpg

Ferguson (Of Massey Ferguson!) developed a 4WD system meant for F1 cars in the early 60's, and the Ferguson P99 was born. It was raced by Rob Walker's team, who most famously ran the Cooper team where Stirling Moss raced. Rob Walker entered it in one single World Championship event, but numerous non-championship F1 races, and even won the Gold Cup in 1961 with Stirling Moss racing it. With the death of Ferguson himself, the company changed focus to car manufacturers instead of racing, and offered the 4WD system to any F1 team who wanted it. BRM got it for their 1964 P67. 1970 Le Mans Winner Richard Atwood qualified the car last for the 1964 British GP and pulled out.
Saying that the BRM P67 was unraced might be a bit wrong, as it was sold on and in private hands (with some changes), it won the British Hillclimb Championship, but it never raced where it was meant to.

While being in the 60's, a car that was never meant to race. The Pininfarina Ferrari Sigma from 1969. A prototype that was supported by Ferrari, Fiat and Mercedes(!), designed by Pininfarina inspired by the high numbers of deaths in F1 in those times. The car was based on the Ferrari 312 that Ferrari raced in F1 the last years of the 60's, and had a V12 Ferrari engine.
xjGHjYX.jpg

qpPoi16.jpg

It was meant to show off new safety standards that could be used. It had a survival cell for the driver, multi-layered fuel tanks of plastic, an onboard fire extunguisher system, safety belts and sidepods, wings and bumpers to avoid interlocking wheels. All back in 1969. I think it looks quite good to be fair.

Lastly we got the funny looking 1993 Simtek concept.
aIQlCVR.jpg

Look at how the front suspension is made, but due to rule changes it was too late to the party as it was outlawed. Now, Wirth Reserach became somewhat of a meme and laughing stock with the Virgin F1 car that didn't have a large enough fuel tank, and wasn't a big success in the 2010 and 2011. With F1 cars that was developed purely by CFD and never saw a wind tunnel. This failure have to a degree tainted his reputation and also affected how many view Simtek in F1 in 94 and 95 due to Nick Wirth. Regardless, after working with Adrian Newey at Leyton House and leaving to create Simtek, the company designed and F1 car for BMW in late 1990. Which reportedly BMW aborted to join DTM instead in 1991, while Simtek ran the 3-series cars.
For 1992 that BMW design was somewhat updated and sold to Andrea Moda. Then for 1993, Simtek was hired by Bravo GP to make their F1 car. However, the spanish team (which had Adrian Campos involved), lost their backer when he suddenly died, and the team never ran. The picture above is for the Bravo car/updated design.
Then Wirth decided to try to enter F1 himself. Jack Brabham bought in to the team, David Brabham joined as a driver. The car were to feature active suspension (something Wirth reportedly developed for March before starting Simek), but like so much other, it was outlawed. Simtek's history is well known. A 94 season filled with challenges, and tragedy. 1995 looked much better but they ran out of money.
The interesting thing here is the design, and what potential it really had. The 1995, S951 car was a evolution of the S941 from 94. Which in turn was an evolution of the S931 Bravo Car pictured above, which was made directly from the blueprint of the Andrea Moda S921, which in turn was basically designed back in late 1990 for the stillborn BMW project. With how fast F1 was moving in the 90's, the rate of development and money. It is quite impressive that an underfunded team with under 50 employees ran in the points in an F1 race in 1995 with a car that and the groundworks done in 1990. When looking at the Andrea Moda S921 and the Simtek S941 there are loads of similarities.
Of course, that wasn't unique back then. Forti-Corse's first F1 car, the FG01 was pretty much a reworked Fondmetal GR02 or the stillborn GR03 project from Sergio Rinland. Rinland who after all was the one helping Forti with their FG01. But as those cars all raced, or at least started a GP, that's a story for somewhere else.

1967-ford-mk-iv-historic-1-1024x374_jpg.png

Yes, the Ford GT MkIV did race, quite effectively. Powered by the same 427FE, around 600hp, used in the earlier MkII.

But Ford had developed the 427SOHC, which in "stock" form with a single 4bbl carb and cast iron exhaust produced more power than the race tuned FE. NASCAR, seeing this and that Chevy was planning a OHC 427 and Chrylser was already testing a 440 hemi OHC, banned them all. A NASCAR mechanic later said this engine could have produced 1000hp reliable for a 500 mile race.

But Ford was eyeing LeMans again, planning a team of GT MkIVs powered by the 427SOHC tuned to 800+hp. FIA banned them before they ever saw a track. But what a car that would have been. (The engine still lives in custom built aluminum versions with higher compression and supercharging, putting 3000hp to the track in top fuel dragsters. And several replica GT MkIIs and Shelby Cobras have been fitted with them, in 600-800hp tune.)

Cammer-Glow_jpg.png

427-Ford-SOHC-Engine-SAE-Paper_jpg.png

Connie-Kalitta-Riverside_jpg.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back