F1 2012 Career, Caterham and Melbourne: What can I expect?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm on my practice session at Melbourne with Caterham (PC), and as I'm running the game without any assists and with Legend AI, I'm struggling somewhat. For the life of me, I can't get my lap times below 1:33, and I'm wondering if this is just me not getting used to the physics and set-up "logic" of F1 2012 (vs. F1 2011), or if this is what I should be satisfied with. I know I can get a couple of tenths by adjusting my set-up, but I'm currently in 24th position, and I don't know if I can do any better...

I don't seem to be gettin many of the problems others are experiencing in 2012. I'm using a caterham in career mode (expert difficulty) and managed to get 8th in the Melbourne race. Got a 1.26.9 (I think) in qualifying. Bloody hard work, but I find the feel of this game infinitely better than 2011 :)

I don't seem to be gettin many of the problems others are experiencing in 2012. I'm using a caterham in career mode (expert difficulty) and managed to get 8th in the Melbourne race. Got a 1.26.9 (I think) in qualifying. Bloody hard work, but I find the feel of this game infinitely better than 2011 :)

Yeah, me too. I don't even have many of the bugs they do. Just started my career too tho.. 26.6 on my only lap on Options.. Could go to 25.6 for sure cuz I was doing 27's easily on Primes... And made a mistake on my Options lap -.- But yea.. Great game for sure! It's like... ages ahead of 2011

This is making me mad! I'm not the fastest F1 "driver" around, but I just don't understand how you guys do it. The understeer is hideous, and it's impossible for me to "feel" when the car's losing grip (understeer). I've only been doing practice sessions in Melbourne so far (endless restarts...), with primes and mix 2, but seriously! 1:26.6??? What on earth can be costing me five seconds???

This is making me mad! I'm not the fastest F1 "driver" around, but I just don't understand how you guys do it. The understeer is hideous, and it's impossible for me to "feel" when the car's losing grip (understeer). I've only been doing practice sessions in Melbourne so far (endless restarts...), with primes and mix 2, but seriously! 1:26.6??? What on earth can be costing me five seconds???

I bet it's mid-corner speed and corner exit speed. ;) You all try to brake as late as possible and that's not the case. Sometimes it's better to brake sooner, but have better cornering speed. :) If I see a video of your driving, I might be able to tell you. But that's if you're mistaking on 1-2 corners. For 5 seconds, I don't know.. You'll have to practice a LOT till you make them up. :D

1:33? Well, that's pretty bad. You'll most likely finish last. But the car can go better for sure. I could finish on the podium on Legend with a Caterham. So, just practice more :p
I'm with Caterham.
Legend, Caterham, and podium, just don't sound right in the same sentence. I just tossed my copy in the trash. :notworthy:

Just kidding....but that's how I feel after reading your post. (xbox)

Im also playing my first season with Caterham on Legend, and all I can say its pretty frustrating losing the championship to Alonso by 17points =/
Actually the entire season was a bit frustrating. Always with unnecessary long gears and tire wear to get into the Q3, and a bit of restarting some races for the perfect launch.
All of this to get a nice car next season of course, you really make an easier season just by playing carefully, and getting a nice contract for next season, not a mclaren but sauber is also good.

It is the opposite for me. :)
Me too.:D
Much more over toe now, last year i had to use something like max left or max right to notice any difference, this year i started to notice much difference to the setups.
But... well, only thing i find hard to notice is the wings. Don't know but looks like they are very forced.
Like if the F1 cars goes from 5-40. Its like in the game is 1=27 11=38. It have a good downforce always. Anyway thats me, maybe i haven't felt the difference yet. :unsure:

Probably the problem you're having is exactly the one Kristian told.
I was driving much slower when i got the game, now my times are 6-10 seconds better. One of the things that made my times much better is the slow in fast out. Braking as hard as possible, always avoiding lock-up and getting to the turn at a good speed, enough to hit the apex, nothing more, nothing less. Also, on some tracks its better to avoid the kerbs because if you don't use the kerbs you can go full throttle sooner! ;)
Anyway its always about practice at each track, no setup is good before you know all breaking points and corner speed.

Sorry for the delay, but here's my video. I changed the setup to something that suits me better :).

Edit: The sound's a little strange in the video. It's not like that in-game. I'll have to check my fraps settings...

Well, too bad you're using cockpit camera so I can't really tell much at this point. But you definitely can take the corners faster than this. And plus that, are you even pushing the brake pedal to 100%? It seems like you aren't. Like, the car is stopping way too slow. Also, try using the whole track. Remember how Alonso spun this year on Melbourne? He touched the grass by trying to make the track wider and wider. For example for T2 - you're in the middle of the road. If you take it wider - you can carry more speed through it. But, it kinda sucks that I can't help. By the setup, you seem to love understeering cars, but c'mon, rear anti roll bar 3? That's an overkill. Put it to 8-9. Especially in a long run, this rear arb - 3 would kill your pace.

But yea, hoped I could help more but I don't use Cockpit camera. :(

My brake pedal is through the floor :). I brake as much as I can without locking (and even now, I have to set my brakes to 46-54 to prevent locking).
I'm trying to use the whole track, but the understeer in F1 2012 is so unpredictable that I never know when it's going to "kick in" when accelerating out of a corner, so I need a bit of track left just in case. When am I in the middle of the road? I'm not sure what corner you are talking about (turn 2 is the exit after turn 1). Could you tell me where to look in the video?
About my setup, I'm trying to make the car oversteer more, as the understeer in F1 2012 is a little overdone, in my opinion. I feel that the setup I have now, gives me less understeer than with your setup. My rear anti roll bar is set to 5, by the way, not 3 :). I'll try increasing it and see what happens.

Although I can spot errors that I'm making during my laps, I still can't see how they make me go 4-5 seconds slower than I could be going...

My brake pedal is through the floor :). I brake as much as I can without locking (and even now, I have to set my brakes to 46-54 to prevent locking).
I'm trying to use the whole track, but the understeer in F1 2012 is so unpredictable that I never know when it's going to "kick in" when accelerating out of a corner, so I need a bit of track left just in case. When am I in the middle of the road? I'm not sure what corner you are talking about (turn 2 is the exit after turn 1). Could you tell me where to look in the video?
About my setup, I'm trying to make the car oversteer more, as the understeer in F1 2012 is a little overdone, in my opinion. I feel that the setup I have now, gives me less understeer than with your setup. My rear anti roll bar is set to 5, by the way, not 3 :). I'll try increasing it and see what happens.

Although I can spot errors that I'm making during my laps, I still can't see how they make me go 4-5 seconds slower than I could be going...

Oversteer? Rear anti roll bar to max if you want oversteer. Don't use 3-1 wings if you want oversteer but 11-1. That's how you get oversteer. And with my setup - you'll get it more. But it's up to you. By the way, just uploaded my Caterham - Career video. You can take a look. Setup is included and you can see how I'm driving (altho I'm not driving very good, but still better :D )

Oversteer? Rear anti roll bar to max if you want oversteer. Don't use 3-1 wings if you want oversteer but 11-1. That's how you get oversteer. And with my setup - you'll get it more. But it's up to you. By the way, just uploaded my Caterham - Career video. You can take a look. Setup is included and you can see how I'm driving (altho I'm not driving very good, but still better :D )
I wonder how many GB this video took from your HDD! Just made a video using fraps, a 5 minutes video, 14GB :confused:
By the way, used you setup in the video. Only the brakes are different.
Nice driving!
Its really hard to get oversteer on this game. I don't feel it has a lot of understeer but i feel it lacks oversteeer. :(

I wonder how many GB this video took from your HDD! Just made a video using fraps, a 5 minutes video, 14GB :confused:
By the way, used you setup in the video. Only the brakes are different.
Nice driving!
Its really hard to get oversteer on this game. I don't feel it has a lot of understeer but i feel it lacks oversteeer. :(

It was 20GB. I use Dxtory with some codec I found that was recommended. Full HD recording. I play at 60 FPS and record at 30 FPS. Video was 20.8GB exactly. With Fraps - half size recording for a full race - 140GB. Calculate the difference! :D

It was 20GB. I use Dxtory with some codec I found that was recommended. Full HD recording. I play at 60 FPS and record at 30 FPS. Video was 20.8GB exactly.
I need to try this one them! :)
Fraps not only made the file size huge, also gave me some bugs, video looks faster. Using the moviemaker to convert it, its good now for the speed but now have some stutters lol.
Im uploading it now. :DForgot to say... Thanks again for the setup. It worked extremelly well to me.

It seems like it is as Kristian told. You are too slow on corners. Go wider and with more speed.
For the braaks i try to use 100% pressure and fast decrease it to 50%-60%.
Its not easy but try to master the brakes in this game. At least for me, late braking doesn't work on F1 2012, if i try to brake late i always loose the apex and end up out of track.
I try to do a more "smooth" driving and i think it helps, im far a super fast driver but i believe my times are not bad either. I recorded a video today using Kristian's setup.

It seems like it is as Kristian told. You are too slow on corners. Go wider and with more speed.
For the braaks i try to use 100% pressure and fast decrease it to 50%-60%.
Its not easy but try to master the brakes in this game. At least for me, late braking doesn't work on F1 2012, if i try to brake late i always loose the apex and end up out of track.
I try to do a more "smooth" driving and i think it helps, im far a super fast driver but i believe my times are not bad either. I recorded a video today using Kristian's setup.

Well, that was a really nice lap to be honest! I thought it's even gonna be 26.xxx. You can carry more speed into T1, T9 and T14. If you do it - you'll definitely get a better Q time than me. I've also been a really bad qualifier, but your times are definitely not bad. As for the brakes, I may try to use F1 2012 Data Logger to see when what and where exactly I use, but I've been trying to be on the brakes with as much power as possible without locking up.

I need to try this one them! :)
Fraps not only made the file size huge, also gave me some bugs, video looks faster. Using the moviemaker to convert it, its good now for the speed but now have some stutters lol.
Im uploading it now. :DForgot to say... Thanks again for the setup. It worked extremelly well to me.

np for the setup. Glad I could help. :)

As for the converter. I'd never use Movie Maker. Usually I'm using Camtasia Studio 7, but it uses only CPU and it's kinda slow to convert with it. I'm with an i7 and it still takes quite a lot of time. GPU rendering is a LOT faster. You can try Super LoiloScope. Awesome program. It's expensive but you get 30 days free trial. I used 'em already, but you can try it. CUDA rendering rocks. ^^ Mind that you'll get their logo on your video if you use the trial! :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 85 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 451 39.2%