Career and teams question

Hi guys. Like the game a lot so far. Just started career and I'm doing Cup Stage A challenge. But I'm stuck on "Drift Kings". The only car teams it says I'm eligible for right now are the Alpha Romero GTA and the Lotus Cortina cars. These cars are extremely difficult to drive and I'm struggling coming in anything but last even on amateur.

I was wondering is there a way to buy cars with the money I earn and add them to the teams roster? Are there faster cars I can add or am I stuck with the Alpha Romero and Lotus Cortina? If I can't add any new cars, are any good setups for either of these? The AI is kicking my ass on the straights even on amateur.:frown: :crying:I can only imagine what it's like on pro
:jaw:

isamu, I'm afraid the only answers to your question are ones you probably you don't want to hear.

1. You are "stuck" with the Alfa & the Cortina for that challenge, but...
2. I'm afraid to say that they are two of the sweeter handling cars in the game, even inside the TC65 class, so buying something else is likely to make it worse for you. Yes, they require a slightly more delicate touch than the Minis / Jag MkIIs etc you drive right at the start, but not excessively so.
3. As for doing you on the straights, it's more likely they got a better exit from the corner before the straight, they are hitting the straight at a higher speed and so it appears they have a higher top speed, when they actually don't.
4. As for setups - the default setups really aren't that bad, and you should really persevere with them for a while before looking to change something, so you at least know whether the changes you make are better or worse for you, but tell us what's going wrong when you're driving (ie understeering wide of the corner, spinning out when you re-apply the throttle etc?) so we have half a chance.

Thanks Stuart. Yeah, I really like the way the Mini handles. But the Cortina, well, I guess I'm gonna hafta get used to it. Basically it appears to suffer from understeering, but I'm willing to guess it's me not being used to car handling from the vintage era hehe.

Oh well, between the Cortina and the Alpha Romero, which one would you suggest as far as easier handling goes?

Oh yeah I almost forgot.....being that this challenge is called "Drift Kings", am I correct in assuming these two cars are actually driftable? And that I actually have to learn to drift them around the corners ala Gran Turismo/Need For Speed? Sounds scary. How on earth do you drift in these old hags?

Start off making your lines clean and smooth. Brake while you're still in a straight line, get down to the speed required to make the turn, then turn in and gently apply the throttle to keep your speed. Once you've spotted the exit, slowly start squeezing the power on. It's a balancing act, but basically once you've turned in, use the accelerator to control how the car acts during the corners...

In terms of drifting, you're probably in the wrong game if you want wild Japanese D1 championship style 60 degree drifts! lol
But it's easy to get some power sliding action... Mid corner, start to use more accelerator. Once the tail starts to slide, back off the accelerator a little (just enough to keep the rears spinning), wind on a bit of opposite lock and control the car with your right foot... Easy peezy!!

Good luck!!

Hmm, just noticed the three setup slider bars before the race. Understeer/Oversteer bar was ALL the way down towards understeer. maybe that has something to do with it? Where do you suggest I move that slider for the Cortina? Should I touch the suspension one as well?

hi Isamu, not wishing to blow my own trumpet here, BUT I'm going to anyway, hehe, goto the Cadwell Park online folder and you will find my setup for Cortina, called Cortina Sam and check the online folder of Ahvenisto for Alfa set called GTA Sam, should be OK most places with gearing/fuel changes to accomodate circuit your using, some folks here rate them OK.

Sam

I will gladly blow Sam's trumpet (matron!) - his setups are always nice and stable, handle predictably with no real nasties in them.

If you go off the circuit you know it's your fault, and not the setup's.

These allow you to concentrate on your driving, which is invaluable. :good:

• Matt Crouch

I've always ignored the sliders... I assume they just change settings around within the setup and you wouldn't want to use them if you have loaded a setup?

Was faced with a similar issue (wanted to have a look at all tracks & cars), there is a trick to come around the career mode in GTL, am not sure whether it is appropriate to post it here... Stuart?

Nevertheless the way is practice practice practice...

Unlock all tracks and cars.

Create an empty file named "TG2001.DYN" in your GTL installation direction. Any new profiles created in-game thereafter will have all tracks and cars unlocked from the start.
Anyway agree, just got it myself on the week end, took the Mustang for a ride, not easy to get good through the Magny Cours T2...

But must admit, I like GTL over rFactor, but still I like GTR-E by far better.... (just because of the drive experience, though it good significantly better after I changed my G25 setings according to a post from Warren here)

Yeah thanks, but I won't be using the cheat either. I bought GTL strictly for the career mode, and so that I can someday toot my horn and "Yes! I finally completed a hardcore racing sim with all aids turned off" :lol:

Once I'm done with the career mode, I'll dabble in the online here and there, and then go back to GTR-E for a while.

Just way too many racing games out there....

Oh by the way Sam, I looked for the Alpha setup called "GTA Sam" but it wasn't there. Is it under another name perhaps? Also, got any good setups for the Mini?

OH MY GOD Sam your Cortina setup is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-! :woop::woop::woop:

I can steer the cortina much easier now and it's improving my driving! Thanks a bunch mate!!!:woot2:

Got a Mustang setup you can slang me? :gimme:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing