Car Vs Car: Ferrari SF71H versus Mercedes AMG F1 W09

SF71H vs W09.jpg

Which one do you prefer? The Italian stallion or the German star?

With just half a dozen races left this season, it's obvious that the only real contenders to the F1 championship are now Ferrari and Mercedes.

It has been a dramatic battle so far and it can only get even more heated approaching the conclusion of the year. Both these manufacturers have proven to have similar levels of competitiveness, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Mercedes have had some work to do to put a patch on their tyre heating and wear problems in order to get the best out of their chassis, while Ferrari have been trying to find aerodynamic solutions that would give them their “unfair advantage” when combined with their already class-leading power unit.

The Germans have more wins, seven so far, while the Scuderia have five wins to their name. Hamilton and Vettel are the obvious contenders, with it becoming abundantly clear that Bottas and Raikkonen are playing supporting roles. Raikkonen however, due to recent news of his future departure for Sauber, may be not be motivated to keep this role going any longer.

Where does your heart stand in all this? Who would you like to see winning? Who do you think has the better car, or has done the better job to improve it and make it more competitive?

Vote in the poll and Let us know in the comments below!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of looks, the base chassis of the W09 wins out. The livery may be boring, but the car has a nicer flow to it, and it doesn't have a typical 2014 ugly nose. This year's Ferrari is generally worse looking in every way compared to its predecessor, and the loss of the white Santander elements hurts the livery big time.

The Ferrari wins just by virtue of being a Ferrari, but it's not their most memorable car. It doesn't help that it's a pain to drive, especially in the rain, and the increased casualization of the sport has made it so people have generally fallen for the "FeRrArI hAvE tHe BeSt CaR :^)" meme just because of the engine (itself only being better because of the acceleration), which is beyond disappointing. It's basically a more boring version of the F2008.

As I prefer metallic grey color for a car.
.. I vote for Mercedes :)

By the way, for the thrill/challenge, it is a good thing that Scuderia is top performing this year...with talented German driver :D

Last edited:
Ferrari, I mean I'd say that any day of the week, for me F1 cars are red. I also prefer the way Ferrari paints their halo, the touch of black just makes it look so much better.

But honestly both are kinda meh, modern F1 cars don't do much for me, thankfully sportscar racing is doing well so my love for motorsports remains intact.

My 3 categories are:
-Chassis
-Livery
-Sound

Chassis:
Mercedes:
-The nose cone of the car is more beautiful with it's round shape.
-Sidepod Aero elements don't look so chunky.

Ferrari:
-The transition from the nose to the main body is smoother (little lip on the mercedes below the number, near suspension).
-Mirrors are hanging from the halo.

Livery:
Mercedes:
-More complex shapes, transitions.
-Main sponsors colours are visible.

Ferrari:
-Nicer main colour
-Lacking diversity in some places (front wing, rear wing).

Sound:
Mercedes:
-More agressive sound, amazing in low revs.

Ferrari:
-Turbo whining more noticeable.
-Overall smoother.

Overall I would say the Ferrari looks better and sounds a bit better but there is such a little difference between me picking Ferrari and Mercedes.

Quote: "With just half a dozen races left this season, it's obvious that the only real contenders to the F1 championship are now Ferrari and Mercedes."

It became obvious just now ? lol

I am just happy that there are differences in looks and they dont all look like clones. I couldn´t decide which one is the prettier one.

All the benefits of Ferrari's design are negated by the god-awful nose. And I'm not sure why some prefer Ferrari's mirror placement as it makes the Halo much more noticeable, as with it's color. Merc wins easy here.

There's nothing particularly distinctive about the cars other than the paint job. If you swapped the paint jobs most people wouldn't notice.

Merc all the way. I don't understand the "Ferrari is a Ferrari" logic. So just because it's a Ferrari, you have to like it, or that means it's good? Uh... maybe that would be the case if they were still winning, but it's been 10 years in F1. Seem more like nostalgia than deserved recognition. They aren't bad by any means. They just aren't the Ferrari of old.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%