Car Vs Car: Ferrari 330 P4 versus Ford (GT40) MkIV

P4 vs MkIV.png

Which one gets your heart racing?

Everybody knows about these two; everyone has either read about them, heard about them or saw them directly in action, back in the day or during one of the many revival festivals that are held now around the globe for vintage and classic racers.

The Ferrari P4, namely the most beautiful Sportscars ever made, powered by a symphonic 4-Litre V12, was the 1967 WSC title winner. After the Italian manufacturer lost many of its drivers in dreadful accidents during that year, and was held back by many worker strikes back at the factory, it took dedication and perseverance for them to fight back the opposition and win. At the end of the season, Ferrari even had to resort to Jackie Stewart to drive in one of his P4s at Brands Hatch, due to a driver shortage. This opened the way to some negotiations for the upcoming 1968 F1 season, and a possible seat for the future three times World Champion, eager to leave BRM, in a 312-48v. Unfortunately, they did not end well, with Ferrari refusing to accept the demanding requests of the driver, who was asking to receive an important compensation for his racing efforts. It is said that, at the meeting, the Commendatore shouted aloud to his right-hand, Gozzi, «Does this Englishman want my company too?!!». To which Stewart calmly and politely replied «Scotsman».

The Ford (GT40) MkIV, one of the most iconic racing cars in the history of the motorsport, housing a thundering 7-Litre V8, its roar audible from a mile away. The weapon with which Henry Ford II managed to get his vendetta to completion. Winning again Le Mans in 1967, Ford finally proved that their cars, by being able to repeat the previous year’s feat, were now more technologically advanced, more reliable and faster than the competition, especially than Ferraris. One of the first vehicles to feature a honeycomb framework in motor racing[1], it was made of an aluminium main structure in between a sandwich of two aluminium foils to which it was riveted.

Two motorsport legends, sharing the laurels of the 1967 World Sportscar Championship for different but equally important reasons. Both deserve a spot in the heart of every racing fan. However, if you had to choose just one, what would it be?

Vote in the poll now and let us know in the comments below!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

-----------------------
Notes

[1] The first one being the McLaren M2B, featuring a honeycomb body made out of a mallite monocoque.

Last edited:
Ferrari. No doubt.

They were the ones entirely dedicated to motorsports, with true passion and love for the sport. Ford were just there because they couldn't stand Enzo declining their offer to buy his own business. They already were a huge conglomerate with millions to spend in every possible area, and still needed external help (Eric Broadley) to develop their car. People always talk about their 1-2-3 victory at Le Mans in 1966, but not many remember Daytona 1967, where Ferrari made their own 1-2-3 in Ford's own soil.

The Ferrari is sexier, but the Ford is the better race car. But the 330 is more fun to drive. Hard to choose...

(Wish I had a scratch 3d model of the GT to work with, we could settle the debate on track.)

Both are legends, objectively I'm not sure it's a call I could make...but I went with the Ford cuz 'MERICA! :D

I read a great book about the GT40 program - Go Like Hell. Good read, highly recommended.

Ferrari. No doubt.

They were the ones entirely dedicated to motorsports, with true passion and love for the sport. Ford were just there because they couldn't stand Enzo declining their offer to buy his own business. They already were a huge conglomerate with millions to spend in every possible area, and still needed external help (Eric Broadley) to develop their car. People always talk about their 1-2-3 victory at Le Mans in 1966, but not many remember Daytona 1967, where Ferrari made their own 1-2-3 in Ford's own soil.
If Ferrari was so dedicated to motorsports, how come they gave up entirely on Prototype racing after Ford beat them like a rented mule at LeMans in 1967? Jus' sayin'.

The Ferrari 330 seems to be easier to drive and beautiful. The Ford (GT40) MkIV is better as a race car. No doubt about it. I vote on the GT40 but I would put the Ferrari in the garage.

If Ferrari was so dedicated to motorsports, how come they gave up entirely on Prototype racing after Ford beat them like a rented mule at LeMans in 1967? Jus' sayin'.
A hollow victory running 7 liters vs 4 liters tho! Hard to imagine any series where almost double the engine capacity wouldn't give an unfair advantage.

There's no such thing as a hollow victory. (Especially here, since it wasn't raw horsepower that won Le Mans for Ford in '67. The MkIVs ran that race at ~7 tenths.)

IIRC the Mk IV was made for Le Mans. It only raced in anger twice that year: Sebring and Le Mans, winning both races. Ferrari did not race at Sebring, despite having both cars available to race, while Ford did not race at Daytona because the MKIV's were not ready.

Did Ferrari duck Sebring for fear of losing to Ford? Dunno, one can only speculate and their answer may be formulated by bias. ( I admit to being a Ford fan and not getting the Ferrari love at all so I am biased).

When they did race head to head we know who won.

I, personally, think the Ferrari looks like a massaged Gp. 5-6-7 car of the era (which it was) while the Ford looks unique.

Do I think the Ford would have done better on some of the tighter courses like the 'Ring, Targa Florio, Mugello or Brands Hatch? Probably not. The Ferrari was more nimble and lighter. The Ford may have outpaced the Ferrari in the straights but it would have lost a lot in the twisties. With the mix of fast and tight tracks it would have made for an interesting season to watch if both raced in all the races.

Taking a year off in protest is hardly giving up. 312P, 512S, 512M, 312PB, the Scuderia prototypes which followed the P4. Ferrari "gave up" works prototype racing in 1972 supposedly to focus on F1. Just sayin.

My engineering side leans toward the Ford (a more advanced car obviously aero and construction-wise at least), but the 330 has my heart and that's all that counts!

Ferrari. No doubt.

^^ This! Maybe a really harsh analysis, but true.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 206 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 211 14.3%