Car suggestions?

Hi, I'm new to Assetto Corsa and SIM racing.

Wow, what a SIM. I've got a few others installed, but haven't even touched them as AC seems to have everything I need!

ATM I cant seem to find myself choosing anything other than the Radical SR3 RSX and Audi sport quattro (probably 75% radical/25% audi) . As a result, I've setup them the most so its even harder to justify anything else!

I know its very subjective, but can anyone recommend some other cars worth sticking with? I'm 50/50 circuit, free roam.

Thanks in advance

Since we have access to (almost) any car/series and any track past and present, if, like you seem to be, I need inspiration to choose what to drive, I usually just browse motor sports sites and always see something enticing.
At this time, AC with all the toppings has so much to offer that it is almost overwhelming sometimes. That SIM is just in a different league.

Last edited:
Like Cote Dazur said there is some much content available in the original game and hundrets of cars (maybe even thousands, but allot garbage included).

In the first place it really depends what sort of cars do you like ..... i will just throw some of my most liked mods/cars into the ring:

- VRC 1999 CART + Skinpack from RD (freemod)
- DRM (paymod) late 70s Group 5 beasts, predecessor of the DTM + real names patch from RD
- F1 1967 freemod (just great to drive if you a little bit nostalgic)
- RSS GT Pack (FIA GT 2003) (paymod) Best all around quality + real world names patch from RD
- GT Legends (freemod) like the name says - some iconic GT Legends :D
- Guerilla GT4 Mod (free)
- NFS Mod (free) Iconic retro supercars like diablo, testarossa, viper ....
- V8 Supercars (free) Australian V8 Series

I drive a lot more, but these are my favorites. :inlove:

The original game itself has also some grear cars - the japan pack, mazda mx5 cup, gt3s

It is indeed overwhelming!

OK, so it probably comes down to personal preference then like one mans music is another's noise?

Despite loving them IRL GT's, V8 bruisers and Modern F1's are not really that appealing to me to drive.

I prefer a balanced car with the the right amount of power to grip, preferably lightweight and flat shifting. And a good noise of course. Open cars also make the wind generators more convincing in VR!

I'll give the F1 1967 a go as I really like the lotus 49. TBH, I just want more cars like the SR3 (especially as SR8 was such a disappointment)

Still open to suggestions ;)

My favourite cars at the moment are the Mercedes 190E Evo II and the Alfa Romeo 155 TI V6. They are so much fun to drive, with enough grip but easy to slide and recover. I also love driving the F1 cars from the 60s, my favourite being the Ferrari 312 (from the GPL pack).

What's the name of that Radical SR3 mod you love so much?

Last edited:
My favourite cars at the moment are the Mercedes 190E Evo II and the Alfa Romeo 155 TI V6. They are so much fun to drive, with enough grip but easy to slide and recover. I also love driving the F1 cars from the 60s, my favourite being the Ferrari 312 (from the GPL pack).

Pretty sure its this one - I checked the mod and its by Nays and Wilson

Radical SR3 v1.5 http://www.mediafire.com/file/d9jztqmk29...5.rar/file

I've driven them in RL and it goes, stops and corners the same. So much fun. Its a very late braking car. Love to hear how you get on with it.

Last edited:
It is indeed overwhelming!
Still open to suggestions ;)
Agree! It is personal indeed.
A bit of background, I came back to sim racing recently, a couple of months ago, after around 2003 when I was playing Richard Burn Rally, and tried GTL, GPL. For a few seasons I raced autoX locally in ES class in Toyota MR2 na. I actually got 5th place Indexed one year, that was something. Hardware: I am still on the old gold standard Logitech red Momo steering wheel but with recent upgrade of Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals.

My impression of Assetto Corsa was shockingly good value with a very high quality product with boundless amount of add-on availability. I actually downloaded Dirt Rally 2, but felt it's like of strange. So onto my journey/car selection in AC.

Initially I was struggling with the feel of cars.. which is a given for a newbie. I am sure that initial frustration is more common than we like to think. Then I started doing it systematically like when I approached AutoXing. I picked a simple track, Drift (trioval) and I picked a car and just tried to accumulate my seat time while getting the feel. (Still very lacking in my weekly seat time, probably 3 hrs) (Oh, getting dial in with the controller setting was another thing.) I came to realize high power is not so easy, so I dropped KTM cross bow and drove NA Miata, then found MR2 SC, that I drove a lot and got consistent with it. Oh, the 125cc Kart was actually great on the trioval. My favorite car there is actually a Lancia Stratos.

No body will probably tell you to do this, but I found that the best way to learn/find the line is actually just keep it in 3rd gear and just work the brake and steering to get the line right. When I started downshifting for the turn the time was not always quicker. Yeah, keeping things simple. When AutoXing we pretty much keep it in 2nd all the way.

In AC, I have only really driven Laguna Seca which is in my "backyard". (Ridden Riverside and track Thunderhill.. time to hunt those down.)

I tried to drift but "suck" does not even describe it.. think I need specific lesson to do. Love the FD though, had one good drift sesson on trioval. It's funny how everyone suggests a low power car to learn to drift and all the drift car mod out there only has high power/torque.

Oh, I do have one recommendation.. Caterham academy. Fun, responsive, good torque not so peaky. I like a car that is responsive in wider speed range. Responsive yet not like snap, violent turn-in/oversteering, Some body movement is good, not too stiff. Lancia Fulvia for some reason is very light/fast steering for a fwd car, never driven one and wonder if that is how it is. I want to download and learn Alpine A110. Did 1:46.212 on Laguna Seca with a 911 last night. Not bad, spun a few times at the Corkscrew.

I think I need to find "fun" and "satisfaction" not only in lap time. Otherwise it is .. work. Sorry for ranting.

Yeah, have fun experimenting!

Great to hear the Alfa Romeo TI V6 is available there. I like that machine as well.

but can anyone recommend some other cars worth sticking with?
Get this, fetch the tracks for the complete season, put together a championship, choose your car to drive, enjoy!

Rinse and repeat, should keep you busy and happy for a while. So much to do in AC you need 2 life time to truly appreciate and give justice.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 234 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 162 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 119 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.2%