F1 2011 Car status - what do the icons mean + more newb questions to help me enjoy this great game.

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hello

I recently got this game and while finding it hard, am loving it. Problem is I feel a little overwhelmed by all the strategies, setup's, general F1 rules etc that I need to learn and on top of that the game's manual doesn't really explain much apart from the very basics.

I have played racing games for many years and while I did watch F1 MANY years ago (every now and then), the last F1 game I played was F1 '97 on the PSX, therefore my knowledge now is somewhat laughable, so please bare with me and keep this in mind. :)

I've googled as much as possible and found a lot of answers to my questions, but some are still outstanding so hopefully you guys can help?

1. Car status (B button). The first is temp, then damage, then third shows fuel levels, but what do the remaining three icons that appear below the fuel level relate to please?

2. When I select tyres within the garage, what do the circles with the little inside/outside them relate to please?

3. I'm playing career mode with short race weekend so does the rule that I have to start race with tyres used to qualify still apply? If it does it still only apply to top 10 qualifiers? Also why is it that I can select quick car setup for qualifying but that option disappears from race day? From googling I understand that this is a rule, but then why is the manual setup option still available? At what point am I stuck with these tyres/setup? Is it at the point I produce my best lap OR the last tyre/setup used when qualifying ends?

4. Ok this next question is really going to have everyone face palming, BUT what is the difference between 'drive out' and 'fast lap'? I understand that fast lap, only the middle lap is timed but why? What I've been doing is 'drive out' and simply driving around trying to obtain the best time possible. I did have tyre and fuel sim turned off at that point by default but has since turned then on.

5. I've read that there is a 'full driver manual' but the only one I can find on codemasters site is the basic booklet I already have. Does this exist and if so where I can I get it please? I already have the excellent 'Advanced Drivers Guide' but would be great get the full drivers manual too if it exists?

6. In practice and qualifying, using the d-pad I can select fuel mix, but in races this option is not present. The only option on d-pad within a race is tyres, why is that?

If there is anything else you can think of that will help this newb, your input would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions too but that's the main ones for now.

Thank you

1. the second I'm not entirely sure about, might be the fuel mix, but I know that the third one down is the lap you should pit in and the bottom one is what position you would end up in if you pitted at that moment.

2. The ring around the tyres you are choosing show how worn they are.

3. I don't play career with short weekend option but I think the rules are the same, if you qualify in the top ten then you must start on the tyre you used to set your fastest lap. I don't know why you can't change quick setups before a race however, may be a bug.

4. by fast lap do you mean flying lap? If that's what you meant then drive out means you drive out of the pitlane and do the whole out lap, while flying lap starts you in the final sector

5. try this http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/...f?t=1316463313

Hope I could help a little bit, sorry if I made it even more confusing

1) Top one is fuel mix and how many laps you will be able to do, lets say 29 lap race if it says +1 you will be able to do 30laps. This varies on what mix you are using, 1-lean, 2-standard, 3-rich. The next one is just the same showing you what mix you are on. The next icon is for the pit strategy, it shows when you should pit next to stick to your strategy. Then the last one shows where you are expected to rejoin if you pit according to your strategy.

2)The circles show how much life is left in the tyres, the number is amount of laps the tyres can do.

3)The parc ferme rule doesn't apply in the game so you can change the setup manually. Its worth it learning the setups because the quick setups on change the wings. If you qualy in top 10 you wont be able to change the tyres for the race.

4)Drive out you do your outlap. The other option puts you at the end of your outlap and heats your tyres up and you don't use fuel. However you actually are better using drive out because the other options used a lot of your tyres.

5)Never heard of this drivers manual so cant help you there.

6)Do you have fuel degradation on? If so you should be able to select this. Make sure you are pressing the correct dpad buttons aswell.

:) Hope i helped.

Great help, thanks guys! Not knowing what those car status icons mean REALLY bugged me. Racing games have always been my favourite genre but haven't really got into any for a number of years now due to formatting of them. Most now days are simple single race events with stupid targets that I must meet, but even if I fail to meet those targets I still somehow still win 3 new cars or a few new car stickers (great), and then repeat. I just want a simple format where there is a league table, if get placed, I get points, get enough points and I win the championship. As said not really followed F1 for many years (more of a Touring car fan), but thought I'd try this game as at least had a proper league structured and was the first racing game in a long time to leave me with sweaty hands after I'd finished so, something I can really get into.

I enjoyed watching the qualifying and race highlights today to try and improve my generally knowledge, plus it was great being able to watch the drivers lapping with the on-board camera to see their lines, braking points and use of DRS etc.

I understand 'drive out' and 'flying lap' much better now thank you, but still a little unsure of something. As said, once I'm out on the track I stay out there until I get the best possible lap time I can, only coming in to try tinker with settings or change tyres. I think the correct way of doing things is to do 3 laps (2nd being my flying timed lap) and then come into pits again, but why do drivers do it this way? As I'm still learning the tracks my 'flying lap' often doesn't see me flying at all so it's really not worth me coming into the pit's until I do a decent lap.

That booklet is the one I already have Macdonald but it doesn't really cover much apart from basics. This reminds me, can anyone explain the R&D screen that I view on the monitor within pits please? I'm able to make adjustments, placing the icon further left or right but have no idea what those adjustments do or how they effect my R&D targets?

I did have fuel degradation on Maskell, and while I was able to change mix during pratice and qulifying, the only think I could change during race was tyres, although perhaps it I didn't select correct dpad directions so will check again.

Came across this funny F1 story today that thought I'd share.... :)

"Who do you think you are, Nigel Mansell?"

I haven't done enough of career to understand the R&D stuff. But i would imagine the Aggressive side my me a bit harder to get like the objectives will be harder to achieve. And vice versa. You can't choose the path of the R&D until you are the Number 1 driver for the team and in the second season from my memory :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 318 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 448 39.2%