car setups since update to 1.3.4

Reik Major

Premium
Hy folks!

Allow me a simple question from a new comer. I think I read somewhere that since the update to 1.3.4 we should "forget" about older car setups.

So should I only try setups from the forum, which have been posted after 23rd of October or are older ones still better then the default ones?

In general are the default setups good enough for getting started in terms of getting a feeling for the game and the car-track-combos or should I quickly tweak a few important parameters?

Which track conditions are the most frequently used on servers? I'd like to practice offline for a while in similar conditions before joining online events.

thx in advance!

Hy folks!

Allow me a simple question from a new comer. I think I read somewhere that since the update to 1.3.4 we should "forget" about older car setups.

So should I only try setups from the forum, which have been posted after 23rd of October or are older ones still better then the default ones?

In general are the default setups good enough for getting started in terms of getting a feeling for the game and the car-track-combos or should I quickly tweak a few important parameters?

Which track conditions are the most frequently used on servers? I'd like to practice offline for a while in similar conditions before joining online events.

thx in advance!
On RD we use 'Green' as track conditions.

For learning to drive and to setup:
Get yourself a consistent pace with default. When you can do a couple of laps consistently (all within 0.5-1s) and fail to improve further, then you can start tweaking the setup, correcting under and oversteer. Creating topspeed etc. You can see the change in laptimes

Thank you for the Info about track conditions. So if people here talk about lap times, they most likely did them on "green" tracks?

Btw I'm a very long time sim racer but new to AC. So in general I know about getting into it. I just thought it could save me some time, if the experts here can tell about things which most likely need a tweak from the beginning. For example: "The default setups in AC are often too (....), so you most likely can increase/decrease (....) by a few clicks." Or something like that.

But if you say the default setups are a good base to start learning the cars, I'll use those setups for a long time before making big changes. So I'd know a special behavior isn't caused by a wrong setup but the nature of this car.

If you want to achieve the best times via hot laps best to try optimum grip levels. They are sometimes indicative of life like conditions but very rarely.

The rsr live timing app is a good place to see times, all done on optimum, and some are tweaked beyond that (some players have heated up the track/weather conditions that might give performance improvements). I use it and its fun when searching for tenths and seeing where you're slower, is. What sectors etc.

For RD club use green track, ACs modeling of increasing grip is just a variable of # of laps for a percent increase in grip which applies to the whole track racing surface.

Every default set up for each car differs slightly from track to track. But for practice purposes decide the stint you wanna practice then adjust fuel, gears are next make sure your just topping out on the longest straight and that you don't have to upshift as you exit corners (ie. Right past the apex), then last is aero. I usually do those 3 changes right after 5 or so laps on default or even less if the gears are crap.

I would also look at the power graph of the cars, it will help with knowing when to shift exactly and what corners you can take in what gear. Cars with lots of torque (scg003, gtr gt3) can use higher gears in some corners where normally you'd have to shift down.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your input @Cristian Haba ! :):thumbsup:

Yesterday evening I had my very first few hours with this great sim, driving the McLaren F1 GTR at Spa (something around 2:22:xxx on green track after a while) and starting to experience the Nordschleife with the R8 Ultra. It's a very new racing experience but it feels true to me. :thumbsup:

However, driving both cars with the default setup all time, I noticed a very high tendency of turn in oversteer even when just rolling (coasting) into a corner. How could I prevent it a little bit? Is it about setup changes or driving style changes?

A very tricky place is the last chicane at Spa. Is it normal that a car likes to over steer so much at such low speeds? I also tried the Sauber C9 for a short while at Spa and this effect was even worse. Am I handling it wrong? (I'm afraid I am :whistling::rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Brake balance can also have an affect. The C9 is a bitch to drive whichever way you set it up, remember that in the higher speed corners the aero effects create much of your stability and grip, low speed corners like the last chicane at Spa rely solely on mechanical grip.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 311 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%