Car setup options versus car_track.svm file

Hi,

When I compare the Car Setup in the (Race ON) game, I don't see all the (same) options that are saved in the .svm file.

E.g. in a .svm file:
Code:
[SUSPENSION]
FrontAntiSwaySetting=11
RearAntiSwaySetting=3
but where is this in de Car Setup screen?

Further, sometimes I see a post with a suggestion for tyres pressure: 40.
What does this mean and how do I use this in the Car Setup?

I think these are beginners questions but I would appreciate some help to understand the logic.

Thanks!

Anti-Sway bars = Anti-Roll bars. They're the same thing. Why the .svm file uses a different term than the in-game setup screen, I do not know.

As for 40 as a tyre pressure setting, where did you read that? It's not a number that would work regardless of whether your game is set to use imperial or metric measurements.

fransonline said:
I think these are beginners questions but I would appreciate some help to understand the logic.

We all have to start somewhere, so don't worry about asking questions. :)

The numbers in the svm files do not relate to the numbers used in the garage.
They are not even the same for different cars!
I just set up two cars, an F3000 and an Formula Master.
Both have front tire pressures set at 178kpa in the garage and f3000 svm reads 48 while IFM svm is 28!
A mini at the SAME pressure[178kpa] in the garage is listed as 18 in the svm file.

The best way to make changes in a car is thru the garage!

The numbers in the svm files do not relate to the numbers used in the garage.
They are not even the same for different cars!

That's because the cars don't use definitive values for their settings. They use a range which is split up into a certain number of adjustments (eg, a range of 0-100 split into 10 adjustments). When you save a setup it saves the adjustment number, not the actual value you see in-game. The range and number of adjustments vary from car to car. That's why the amount a setting changes with each 'click' differs. (eg, brake bias on one car will change in 5% increments whereas on another it will change in 1% increments.) I guess that explains where the value of 40 came from.

I agree that the best way to make changes is in the garage. I mean, you should be testing your car between changes so you should be in-game and in your garage anyway. You can't test a setup from your desktop! :tongue:

Setup changes are made in the game. The svm files are only supposed to be used in the setup folder. Not to edit them with notepad or something :)

Conclusion: only change tuning parameters InGame!

Not 100% correct....

There are settings that can only be changed in the .svm files directly which you can't see in the in-game garage. An example is the final diff ratio(very useful for fixed gearbox ratio'd cars like the ARCA Alfa), another is the 3rd set of dampers (used in high spec open wheelers like F1)

also these settings:

CGRightSetting=0
CGRearSetting=0
WedgeSetting=0

[LEFTFENDER]
FenderFlareSetting=0

[RIGHTFENDER]
FenderFlareSetting=0

LeftTrackBarSetting=0
RightTrackBarSetting=0
Front3rdPackerSetting=0
Front3rdSpringSetting=0
Front3rdSlowBumpSetting=0
Front3rdFastBumpSetting=0
Front3rdSlowReboundSetting=0
Front3rdFastReboundSetting=0
Rear3rdPackerSetting=0
Rear3rdSpringSetting=0
Rear3rdSlowBumpSetting=0
Rear3rdFastBumpSetting=0
Rear3rdSlowReboundSetting=0
Rear3rdFastReboundSetting=0

EngineMapSetting=
EngineBrakingMapSetting=

FinalDriveSetting=

DiffPumpSetting=

of course, changing these only effects the car if the physics .hdc/.eng actually has adjustments available...

But I consider this cheating. If there is something fixed and you change that and other people don't... it's unfair. :confused:

100% no I don't think it is cheating, I build many add-on's that the real life cars run fixed gearboxs and they in real life use different diffs, I'm talking my most popular mods, DTM 2007-2008, DTM 2008-2010, V8 Supercars 2008, V8 Supercars 2009, V8 Supercars 2010, V8 Supercars 2011, F1 2007 <- not fixed gearbox, but final diff was very important, so important that MoTeCAdd modified his software to allow this to be changed on the fly in the garage. The list goes on and I have only had good comments about these add-ons, never, heard "I have to cheat to change the gearing" ever...

The fact that some simmers what to learn how to get the most out of there car setup is admiral and far from cheating. You only have to look here and at NoGrip for setup packs that are all set and ready to go with various final diffs adjusted. In fact, the idea that these are released on commendable and reputable sites like RD and NG prove the opposite to cheating...

Or, do you assume that I cheat ever time I log on to an online server because I have edited in notepad my game config files so that my name is correctly spelt, or that the bonespring is set to a realistic value and doesn't cause the cars to launch off the track with the lightest of touches. Or that I customised my controller settings beyond what is avail in-game. Or that I have a SLI GTX480 setup which allows for very high FPS at all times on the highest settings and longest draw distances (I'm must be cheating as I can see all cars and the track further than the car next to me on a P4 2ghz, 6600 with 256mb...). Maybe I cheat as I have a clutch on my G25 and can start better than someone without a clutch pedal?

No, for mods it is different.

What I meant was that you gain unfair advantage because other people don't know how to tweak it because they use just setup screen, for example. And when it is fixed, then it should be fixed for everyone. Or when it has certain range of values.

That's how I see it. You don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion.

No, for mods it is different.

What I meant was that you gain unfair advantage because other people don't know how to tweak it because they use just setup screen, for example. And when it is fixed, then it should be fixed for everyone. Or when it has certain range of values.

That's how I see it. You don't have to agree with me, it's just my opinion.

IMHO, the fact that some don't know is not a valid reason to not use it. Some people don't have a clue about trailbraking or shortshifting but that is not enough for me to stop using them.. The options you can actually setup differently in the svm are very limited, hard to believe that the 3rd spring settings would affect anything as the game, AFAIK, don't use wedges or 3rd springs/dampers at all(or has a fixed values). What i know is that final gear ratio is really the only one left: before Formula RaceRoom update, svm edit was the ONLY way to set up a 7:th gears.. That certainly was not cheating..

If the 3rd springs etc do work, i think it's time to install VB again and start working on some interface for svm editing..

I agree that it's not cheating. There are no magic values which will give you a massive advantage, and the files can editing by anyone with a text editor... which is everyone since Notepad is part of Windows. Some may not know what the values do, but you could just as easily argue that some people have no idea what the various options on the in-game setup screen do either. If people are not allowed to use these settings then maybe they should not be allowed to use third-party programs like XD and Motec either, because they also give access to things the player would not normally see/know in-game.

I would think the only reason certain things are not included directly on the setup screen is because the game was originally designed around touring cars, not F1, DTM, and all the other mod-only classes. It would indeed be nice if someone could make a little program for adjusting these things without editing the file.

Gunthar, is it possible that they have included lines ine the svm file that are not implemented in the car yet for some reason or is it a fact that the settings are available because changes to the car can be made?

Basically, you can only adjust in the .svm what the developer allows in the .hdc and .eng, and to set the front wing on a mini to 15 will actually show in garage, but has no effect on the cars physics as there is no parameters set in the .hdc for a front splitter. If you open up an .svm for say the WTCC 07 BMW E90 and enter in some 3 spring settings it will have no effect as these are not defined in the .hdc...

MoTeCAdd allows for Final Diff Adjustment in-game in-garage and 7th gear (not needed now tho)

The most useful .svm adjustments are really just the following:

EngineMapSetting=
EngineBrakingMapSetting=

FinalDriveSetting=

DiffPumpSetting=

Hmm... These need testing.. What diffpump does? The rest are somewhat selfexplanatory, enginemaps i think has to be tested personally, some kind of co-efficient value there? We should plug Gunthars brains to net and download the info, seems like he has masses of it..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back