F1 2014 Car Settings - Gear Ratio Setting Disappeared

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)
I have split your post off into a separate thread.

Please don't post off-topic questions in an unrelated thread thanks :)

As to your question, more info is needed. When does it disappear?

I can only guess. Was this after you started qualifying for a race? In the real formula 1 your car settings are locked off once you start qualifying (Parc Ferme), the car setup for the race will be what you setup for qualifying.

Free Practice is where you decide how to setup your car, by changing settings and doing test laps. Once you leave the pit in a qualifying session, you can do no more major changes to your setup

Probably to do with the gear ratio rules this season, one fixed set with one joker change. I'd assume Codies have taken the decision of removing any kind of player calibration from that area just like they have done with the ERS. F1 2015 will have fixed steering assists for even more "accessibility". :roflmao:

Yes, gear ratios are fixed in the game
Hopefully this means people will actually be able to post proper setup then, rather than the stupid 1-1 downforce at every track. :sick:
actually it was more 3-1, or 5-1, rather than 1-1 :D And might indeed be faster to go with a more stable rear wing, as these cars have tyres sliding everywhere. I've seen setups like 8-3, or 9-4 in some videos

Well I follow the sport avidly, but can easily miss a fact or two. I knew there were 8 gears, but didn't know the ratios were locked off .........

This will wake me up .....

tumblr_mld47eA1A71s7tapeo1_400.gif

The ratios are supposed to be locked off once you have set them for race 1, but CM have selected them for you and locked them off. I'll wait to see whether the option appears after Spa, but I doubt it. Next year they won't be able to do that; they'll be fixed from race one.

My biggest gripe as a control pad user on the Xbox is that 1st gear is pitched way too short - around 63mph on the limiter. Because of the gamepad, I have relied a lot on engine braking for some corners. 1st is now next to useless on any corners, except a few slow hairpins and that really slow corner at Monaco. Use it for engine braking and you get lock up and drift. Some circuits like Silverstone are ok because you don't need 1st.

I assume the real teams are coy about their gear ratios; I can't find any references to actuals on the web, only the rules about them. For me 1st should be pitched around at least 80mph.

In the car settings the gear ratios disappeared.
Does anyone know why?
In 2014 in real life they are not allowed to change the gearbox ratios. If you do a quick setup though codemasters for some reason made the gearbox ratios change. If you want more top speed or acceleration download my better gearbox mod. It makes the gearbox able to be changed for more top speed or acceleration.

To be honest I like the fact that there is no way of changing gear ratios in previous games this alone made a huge difference in league races. I no in the real world this is pre-set from race 1 and I hope it remains that way fro0m now on, its brought the cars closer together (which has always been Bernie ecclestone's aim) in turn this has made for more fun in the league races aswell because of no gear ratio tricks that was obvious in previous games.

This year its all about traction, the ability to carry the speed through corners and have little to no traction problems in or around the corner is where the time is to be found. I still feel thouh that its un fair how pad users have such a traction control buff (I understand codies are trying to balance wheel and pad users out so its not one sided, but sadly it is one sided right now) I also expect many pad users are happy that for once they have the upper hand over wheel users, but codies need to remember racing games are meant for wheels not pads and you can't fully balance them out (if this is there way of accepting that then they have messed up big time) personally I found f1 2013 to be mch better for pad users and if they improved that a little more they would have had a much more balanced game (not like it is right now though with pad users getting that traction buff out of corners).

Rant over, patch please, hurry codies (don't break any other parts of the game as you often do in patches).

the lack of being able to change the ratios for the gears has good and bad points. But i think the good outweigh the bad for sure. I use to use the ratios to help me ontrack. For example if i was having issues in slow corners i'd lower the gear to help me get though them better. Or if i was struggling with traction out of some corners i'd use longer gears to help stop the tyres from spinning. I can't do that this year, but i've survived. It does seem to bring the league racing closer together but only for each input. Wheel users seem to be racing more closely with wheel users of the same skill level and the same goes for pad users.

BUT the racing btwn pad and wheel users is not closer based on skill level. I'm getting killed this year by the pad users i use to race closely with in previous years. And i'm having a much harder time racing the pad users i use to be much faster than. However, the racing with the other wheel users in my league is a lot closer and making for much more enjoyment for me, so it kinda helps in that respect.

The fact is though that the pad users have traction control weather they want it or not. I'm glad i'm not one of them because the handling in this game is the best of the series so far, and they are really missing out on that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.1%