car.ini

After reading eschefo's last post I decided to strike out my last post (but not remove it). Don't really understand what he is doing as most cars will be more or less bogus with a final Racer release...

In my Fury the 3d was made by Stratux and the ini by me and AMGFan. It's well explicit on the read-me eheh ;)

I think that it is a very good idea to have the list of all the avaliable cars for Racer. It helps newbies knowing if that specific car is released ;)

Thanks for clearing it up Splashonda. At first I was confused by that list, but then I got the idea.. it is like making an inventory list before moving.. here the move being from semi-useless to stable ;) But, a closed list is a closed list, so I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to port it to google docs, and then make a thread in the forum for it, first post being the list itself (as a sticky) embedded from google docs (read for all, read-write for those who maintain it). Then those who update/upgrade a car can post it in the thread, and a car-list-moderator can alter the entry in the list. So if anyone needs to know about a certain car, they can always consult the list.. great idea actually.

That way his work would be valuable and useful for all of us.

Luthobu,
I also think the best is to do an open list that the modelers can modify if they found errors. I did the list in Microsoft Excel but can export (suposse..) to any format you say me.
I did this list as an internal list, sorry if it have errors, but with your idea people can improve many times. I see the informations of car in the car.ini (credits) and only see the readme.txt if there is no information on car.ini.
Please say me what format you want and I upload it to the forum. Perhaps may be interesting to add more information like file date or version to know if is the last version or not, and perhaps more??

Well... it's useful if you want to have an detailed (by schedule) car list, and car.ini specifically; So you can know which ini to view in order to get some values and know which is "good" or which is "old", "bad" or crap directly.

And i don't know why we're talkin in english since both we talk spanish jajajaja.

Cheers

Yes, and my english not good, I think sometimes the people don't understand me clearly.
I use "tracciontrasera" forum (in spanish) but my questions about car.ini not always had an answer. I think is also a very good forum and web.

(Adios) good by

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have to admit that a tool working the other way round (you enter data and a car.ini pops out) would be more of a help :) However, in order to understand the workings of car.ini, you can't do much better than this. There's little use in knowing what a certain parameter in car.ini stands for if you have no idea of the physical background. Setting up such a spreadsheet is a great task in getting that knowledge.

I didn't check every line in detail, but what I noticed was that the suspension section seems to be based on the obsolete length definitions, where restlen was interpreted as being shorter than maxlen. In fact, restlen is the highest value (free length of the "spring", not installed in the vehicle, no external loads applied. "spring" is of course always meant as the equivalent part measured directly at the wheel centre, with all leverage and angular changes applied), followed by maxlen (maximum extension of the suspension as installed in the vehicle), then warplen and finally minlen.

Looking at the example files you uploaded, they're all quite old releases and none of them uses any contemporary features. What I'm going for is that you should stay critical (as you have been on the previous pages in this thread) when you look at the data output and also have a look at any new release that utilizes features added in the last two years or so - that's the standard from now on.

Thanks Cosmo,
I began doing a excel sheet to create the car.ini, but in the way I need to understand all the car.ini, not easy. I hope to continue with this sheet when I understand all..... now is only in process.
Yes, the restlen is not correct, i need to change it, thanks again.
Now, I'm downloading the last cars and I'll try to study them.

More commentaries are welcome.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 334 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 226 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%
  • < 5 years