Can't use RF2 Due to Really Messed Up Graphics

RF2 loads normally to the point I press the "Race" button. The first scene opens with the car (any car chosen) in the Pits and the graphics (colors) are distorted to the point the sim cannot be used. For example, sometimes the horizon is black and only two colors or reflections may appear on the car. Other times all is black with only a splash of car color. Sound is ok, just unusable due to the messed up colors. Any ideas out there?

Ok, some background info will help.
List off your hardware specs, videocard, VideoRam on the card, cpu, system ram. Laptop?
Has rF2 ever loaded without the graphic errors or is this a recent problem never seen by you before?
Have you used either the Release Candidate or the NONE option?
Have you verified the files in Steam?
Which track(s) does this occur at? An official S397 track or modded ones or both?

Thanks for taking an interest. Windows 8.1, AMD FX-3320 eight core processor 3.52 GHz
Ram = 8 GB
Video card: AMD Radeon R7200 Series, memory 2045 MB GDDR5, 8 GB.

Desktop

Problem occurred approximately six months ago. I made no changes to the system that I'm aware of.

Files have been verified more than once. RF2 has been deleted and re-installed with no results.

Occurs regardless of track. I have no modded tracks.

I don't know what "Release Candidate" or the "NONE Option" is. I'll research this.

Thanks again for any direction you can point me in.

The very low video ram could be culprit. rF2 has undergone several graphic updates between both the cars and the tracks so that vRam is consumed rather easily. The NONE and Release Candidate are under rFactor2 on the library screen. Right click on the text set to the left side that says rFactor 2. Then choose properties from the drop-down menu and betas. NONE is the regular, most up to date version of rF2. Release Candidate currently is the same as NONE until they get closer to another quarterly update. Then the Release Candidate offers the latest tech/options etc so that users can stress test items to verify everything works prior to the official launch of a quarterly update.
Here are some options to try.

Reboot windows, do not open any programs like a browser or music etc.

Boot Steam and run the graphic config program. Set the PP to low, verify your screen resolution & refresh rate is correct. Click OK and then go back to the start and launch rF2.

Choose private practice, no computer controlled cars.
Reduce your graphic settings to the Lowest available options.
Choose a track like Silverstone
Try to load that one car and see if you can drive normally.
If you are able to run 1 car alone, then I think your system is simply on the very bottom edge of usability for rF2.

The very low video ram could be culprit. rF2 has undergone several graphic updates between both the cars and the tracks so that vRam is consumed rather easily. The NONE and Release Candidate are under rFactor2 on the library screen. Right click on the text set to the left side that says rFactor 2. Then choose properties from the drop-down menu and betas. NONE is the regular, most up to date version of rF2. Release Candidate currently is the same as NONE until they get closer to another quarterly update. Then the Release Candidate offers the latest tech/options etc so that users can stress test items to verify everything works prior to the official launch of a quarterly update.
Here are some options to try.

Reboot windows, do not open any programs like a browser or music etc.

Boot Steam and run the graphic config program. Set the PP to low, verify your screen resolution & refresh rate is correct. Click OK and then go back to the start and launch rF2.

Choose private practice, no computer controlled cars.
Reduce your graphic settings to the Lowest available options.
Choose a track like Silverstone
Try to load that one car and see if you can drive normally.
If you are able to run 1 car alone, then I think your system is simply on the very bottom edge of usability for rF2.
I run rF2 on a laptop with 2 gb of video ram without a problem

It is important to mention your screen resolution as well. The PC specs alone are not enough to judge the situation. Testing on a lower screen resolution can give you a quick answer: is my pc lacking computing power or can I optimize certain settings to improve things a little?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back