Can't Get "Race ReMaster" Mod to Run

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I just bought/installed Race 07 from Steam and would like to get the "Race Remaster" mod to run.

The unzipping process placed all files into the "Race07" folder, but from there I got an error message when installing, saying that the files and setup .cmd file should be in the "common" folder instead. So, I copied them to the "common" folder, then ran RaceR_steam from there -- but nothing at all happens (I'm trying Option B - New Install).

Can anyone explain what I did wrong and/or what I still need to do?

BONUS QUESTION: If I can get "Race ReMaster to work (BIG IF!), would the Super Touring Mod be compatible with it too? Or would it only work with the original Race 07 install?

Thanks!

Hoping someone can help me with this.

I just bought/installed Race 07 from Steam and would like to get the "Race Remaster" mod to run.

The unzipping process placed all files into the "Race07" folder, but from there I got an error message when installing, saying that the files and setup .cmd file should be in the "common" folder instead. So, I copied them to the "common" folder, then ran RaceR_steam from there -- but nothing at all happens (I'm trying Option B - New Install).

Did you read the Readme file?
The folder 'Remaster_FILES' should be placed in your 'common' folder (where your race 07 is installed)
Remaster_SETUP.CMD should also be placed there and run from there.

Can anyone explain what I did wrong and/or what I still need to do?

BONUS QUESTION: If I can get "Race ReMaster to work (BIG IF!), would the Super Touring Mod be compatible with it too? Or would it only work with the original Race 07 install?

Thanks!

Yes, there is no reason it should not work. I have updated that mod (the latest mod version) to work using the same shaders and also pit crew.

Thanks, Andreas.

OK, I will try again.

I did a system restore to the point immediately before I tried downloading/installing the first time, so this is from a "fresh" start.

Re-downloading was successful.

I unzipped the downloaded file and put the "Remaster_FILES" folder and Remaster_SETUP file into /common.

I then ran Remaster_SETUP from its location in /common. I chose Option B (New Install). NOTE: Again, I got a few messages of "file not found" during this process. FYI - I'm running Windows 10.

It created a "RaceR" sub-folder in /common.

I activate Steam and then run "Racer_Steam" from within the "RaceR" subfolder,

I get the graphics set-up screen and enter my values and........

NOTHING after that. (I even tried "Run as Admistrator" with the same result :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, Andreas.

OK, I will try again.

I did a system restore to the point immediately before I tried downloading/installing the first time, so this is from a "fresh" start.

Re-downloading was successful.

I unzipped the downloaded file and put the "Remaster_FILES" folder and Remaster_SETUP file into /common.

I then ran Remaster_SETUP from its location in /common. I chose Option B (New Install). NOTE: Again, I got a few messages of "file not found" during this process. FYI - I'm running Windows 10.

It created a "RaceR" sub-folder in /common.

I activate Steam and then run "Racer_Steam" from within the "RaceR" subfolder,

I get the graphics set-up screen and enter my values and........

NOTHING after that. (I even tried "Run as Admistrator" with the same result :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Can you post screenshots of the files in your folders, mainly 'RaceR', and 'Gamedata'?

Sure - but I'm not sure which Gamedata folder you mean so I've inc;iuded RaceR's and Race 07's:

RaceR Gamedata.jpg
Race 07 Gamedata.jpg
RaceR Folder.jpg

newbert, if it's any help, I install Race Remaster directly into the race07 folder, using JSGME, which copies the Remaster files directly into the directory. It can easily be uninstalled also, using the JSGME programme. This unrecommended method works for me. However, I have no pit crew effects, but I do get all the graphic and UI improvements.

Sure - but I'm not sure which Gamedata folder you mean so I've inc;iuded RaceR's and Race 07's:

View attachment 576047View attachment 576048View attachment 576049

It looks like the files are there, except d3d9.dll but the game should be able to run without it (it is a "proxy" file that links to the "real" d3d9.dll with some addons.

What does your userdata folder look like?
C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\SimBin\RaceR

It should look something like this:

1655916627623.png

It looks like the files are there, except d3d9.dll but the game should be able to run without it (it is a "proxy" file that links to the "real" d3d9.dll with some addons.

What does your userdata folder look like?
C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\SimBin\RaceR

It should look something like this:

View attachment 576201
Mine looks exactly the same!

Perhaps I'm not starting up the mod properly? - I first activate Steam. Then I run RaceR_Steam.exe from the common/RaceR sub-folder. Is that the correct way to do it?

Thanks for your continued patience and help!

Bert

Mine looks exactly the same!

Perhaps I'm not starting up the mod properly? - I first activate Steam. Then I run RaceR_Steam.exe from the common/RaceR sub-folder. Is that the correct way to do it?

Thanks for your continued patience and help!

Bert
That is the right way, so nothing wrong with that.

The strange thing is if something important in the game was missing you should get some kind of crash message when starting the game.

So I wonder if the exe file may be blocked by your anti virus sofware?

If you copy the standard race_steam.exe and place it in the RaceR folder, can you run that file?

That is the right way, so nothing wrong with that.

The strange thing is if something important in the game was missing you should get some kind of crash message when starting the game.

So I wonder if the exe file may be blocked by your anti virus sofware?

If you copy the standard race_steam.exe and place it in the RaceR folder, can you run that file?
I copied the race_steam exe file as you instructed and it still won't run. :(

I also approved that file to not be blocked by my Windows Defender firewall, but it still didn't run.

Then I disabled Malwarebytes-Free, and it still would not run.

Exactly where should the "ReMaster Files" folder be? Mine is in steamapps/common.

EDIT 1: FWIW - I still have the "Racer 07 Demo" folder in the "common" folder - Perhaps that's interfering somehow? Should I remove it?
EDIT 2: Nope - that didn't help either.

Thanks again!
Bert

Last edited:
newbert, if it's any help, I install Race Remaster directly into the race07 folder, using JSGME, which copies the Remaster files directly into the directory. It can easily be uninstalled also, using the JSGME programme. This unrecommended method works for me. However, I have no pit crew effects, but I do get all the graphic and UI improvements.
Mick,

What is this JSGME program and where can I find it? I tried doing your idea with 7-zip, but that didn't work either.

Thanks!

Mick,

What is this JSGME program and where can I find it? I tried doing your idea with 7-zip, but that didn't work either.

Thanks!

It's 'Jonesoft generic mod enabler', a long-used programme which should be easy to search for and download. It allows one to install and uninstall programmes with a simple 'click'. It's very useful, but Bert, I don't know if it'll solve your problem.

You could try
1. delete RaceR folder
2. make a copy of your race 07 folder and rename it "RaceR" (you could delete extra mod cars and tracks in this copy)
3. see if you can run race_steam.exe (steam should be running obviously)
4. if that works you could copy "UIData" from Remaster_FILES in the zip and paste it in the new RaceR folder.
5. if the game can be started after that try the same with "Gamedata" from Remaster_FILES
6. try the same thing with "Shaders"

7. finally try copy over the .dll, .ini, and .exe files to your new RaceR folder.

Please let me know if this works or if there is a problem on any of these steps.

Step 3 - Yes. That works.
Step 4 - Yes. That works.
Step 5 - Yes. That works.
Step 6 - Yes. That works.
Step 7 - YES!!! THAT WORKS!! I still need to set my preferences for FFB, etc but it RUNS!

Thanks! And excellent job on the mod BTW!

NOTE: After a quick run thru, I can't find the setting to make the "Time Attack" opponent transparent like it was in the original Race 07. Can you help me out with that? Thanks again!

Last edited:
I hadn't noticed, because I never do time trial myself.
This is a side effect from the new shaders. Sandard shaders depends very much on material settings (in every 3d object) for things like lights etc. If those values are set differently for the objects it results in inconsistent and very odd looking light.
The new shaders get their ambient and direct lights from the track (which obviously is the same for all 3d objects).
In some way material alpha (that is used for ghost transparency) is included in this, but I don't know how for the moment. Texture transparency works as it should, but that is a different thing.

I hadn't noticed, because I never do time trial myself.
This is a side effect from the new shaders. Sandard shaders depends very much on material settings (in every 3d object) for things like lights etc. If those values are set differently for the objects it results in inconsistent and very odd looking light.
The new shaders get their ambient and direct lights from the track (which obviously is the same for all 3d objects).
In some way material alpha (that is used for ghost transparency) is included in this, but I don't know how for the moment. Texture transparency works as it should, but that is a different thing.
Well, that's a shame because other than this, your mod is perfect IMO.

Lucky for me that I still have the original Race07 installation which I can still use for Time Trials. Thank you for all of your hard work and for your patience with me.

Bert

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing