Can't get online

Hi all,

I've finally decided to dip into the world of online racing, and thought I'd jump in feet first by trying out the knockabout world of public servers.

Unfortunately, the game won't let me. I get as far as the loading screen for the actual race, and it crashes out of the game entirely and generates a log file. The log file is all greek to me, but I can PM it to anyone that might be able and willing to decypher it for me.

Also, and this only happens in the online (steam) version, the car previews on the selected screen are only partially rendered, if at all. They appear fine in the offline version.

Could this all be down to a version clash? I'm pretty sure I have the latest patch installed, although that may only be the offline version. As an aside, why is it even necessary to differentiate between an offline and online version at all?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Hi all,

I've finally decided to dip into the world of online racing, and thought I'd jump in feet first by trying out the knockabout world of public servers.

Unfortunately, the game won't let me. I get as far as the loading screen for the actual race, and it crashes out of the game entirely and generates a log file. The log file is all greek to me, but I can PM it to anyone that might be able and willing to decypher it for me.

Also, and this only happens in the online (steam) version, the car previews on the selected screen are only partially rendered, if at all. They appear fine in the offline version.

Could this all be down to a version clash? I'm pretty sure I have the latest patch installed, although that may only be the offline version. As an aside, why is it even necessary to differentiate between an offline and online version at all?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Online vs. Offline: Some people are afraid of a game that is permanently connected to the internet (Big Brother and so forth...), that's why they provided an offline version which is Steam free (Steam = Internet is required). But only the Steam version is capable of online racing.

I have never installed the offline version myself so am not sure about clashes. The only thing that I could think of that might be a hurdle is the fact that you need to open ports on your firewall and in case your are behind a proxy you need to enable port forwarding.

But that should not be responsible for the rendering issues.

May clean and reinstall the Steam version only?

Turns out I found the solution in an entirely unrelated thread. My steam version didn't have either the 'gamedata' directory or the 'uidata' directory. I copied the ones over from the offline install, and bingo, and it all worked.

First race was at monza, and a fairly humbling experience.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%