Cannot stop stuttering - HELP

Hi guys,

I'm really struggling with stuttering in game...especially visible on tight hairpins, as the background has to move across the screen very quickly.

I've tried various guides I've found online. It's the only game I have any issue with. iRacing, AC, AMS all run beautifully smooth. Even ACC with everything maxed, I get smooth gameplay.

What I can't figure out in Rfactor2 is I get stuttering even with just 1 car on track...it doesn't necessarily seem in any way linked to the complexity of the scene being rendered.

My specs are :
i7-7700k
2080ti FE GPU
32GB DDR4
Rfactor2 running off SSD

Running Triples 7680x1440 @ 165Hz with multiview.
GYSNC is enabled.

Launcher settings are :
AA : Level 3
Post-processing : Low or off
V-Sync : Off (have tried video too)

In game settings I've tried almost everything, low settings, highest settings etc. with not much noticeable difference.

I'm averaging around 95FPS with lows reported of 80FPS or so....but when stuttering, this doesn't seem to be reflected in the FPS figure.

In the .ini file, I've capped refresh rate at 165Hz

Using CTRL+F, the GPU bar never goes above 50%
Using the other in-game chart, all the bars are very low.

The top green bar is solid all the way across (I think this is CPU?)...but there seems to be a kind of line chart being drawn above the green bar which very rarely shows anything at all.

I'm not sure what that means for my CPU usage? If I move windows focus to another window, that green bar drops down to about 1/3.

I'm a bit worried that for whatever reason, RF2 is absolutely maxing my CPU and that's why I have stutters, but how can I avoid that? I would have thought an i7-7700K would be more than enough?

Really desperate for help, from any experts out there!

Hmm weird....I'm sure it's not just some placebo effect...so something has worked....strange one!

Glad to hear you could solve it :)
Reading through everything you tried the only thing I would say is making a difference would be that gsync just finally runs as intended. For whatever reason though!
pre-rendered frames aren't running anyway without vsync since gsync uses only double buffer. I really don't know that for sure but I can really feel the difference in the input lag when I set pre-rendered frames from 1 to say 8 when vsync is active. With gsync I don't feel any difference though!

Anyway, setting it to 1 would normally just make things worse as you deactivate a buffer and therefore lose performance.

All the rest won't cause microstutter to go away. Influence performance for sure but not day/night difference. Just an fps change...

This is not active anyway, gets overruled by gsync. Maybe this triggers gsync to finally become actively running but it should not make any difference. Also fastsync gives me microstutter if I use it instead of gsync (tried it a lot of times with my old 60hz monitor...). It's meant to be used when at 2x refresh rate or higher fps.
So for games like Counter Strike where modern PCs put out 200+ fps.

Anyway, awesome that it's working now and nice that you've found the hz counter on the monitor. Great tool for this stuff! :)

Now the last thing for you to do is to fill in the "real name box" in your account settings (only visible for other premium members) and sign up for some racing :D

Hmm weird....I'm sure it's not just some placebo effect...so something has worked....strange one!
I didn't mean that nothing actually has changed. I'm just stating that none of it should be the reason of this change but maybe something made gsync finally kick in like it's supposed to do.
Assetto Corsa for example shows the gsync indicator and the Hz counter matches the fps but it's stuck at mid 40's fps. Alt+Enter 2x to switch into borderless and back to fullscreen solves this.
There's absolutely no reason for this and apart from activating gsync I didn't change anything at all. :cautious::roflmao:
If I disable gsync globally this doesn't happen... It's also only needed after I enter the track. It stays 100% stable afterwards.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 457 39.3%