Released Cannonball Run USA - Johnstone County

Fantastic track!

You have captured the atmosphere of open high speed driving here in the Southwest USA very very well. I often head out into the highspeed back roads of east and south Texas and you really have done a great job.

If you want to add some more realism then on the approach to the sharper bends you might put up some shoulder chevrons. And for the cross roads and T-junctions put either 4 way stop signs of 4 way flashing orange traffic lights. Then on the approach leg to the intersections lay down rumble strips for the last 1/8th of a mile.

One thing that is so enjoyable about driving the backroads fo the Southwest is that the various hiway deparments always take the trouble to off some sharp bend and upcoming stop warnings.

Also mile markers would be awesome and add some of those final touches.

I have been trying my best to creat AIW for the map but AIWCAM editor seems to die when I get to the destination after driving my route.

Maybe it doesnt like so many waypoints - but I hope some way can be worked out get a couple AI cars driving.

I am going to try get some AI cars driving as on coming traffic if I can.

Hopefully you are going to extend the long run down from White Sands all the way towards the coast and let it turn right to offer a coast road option back to Johnstone.

Thanks again for a great track.

*edit*
An example of the rural flashing 4 way signals I was mentioning:
rural_light_flash.jpg

Some rumble strips:
200642TS.jpg

Thanks for commenting RC45! Yes there is definitely road details that are missing, some because of general optimization, some because I just don't know all the details :) I will be at least consider adding general warning signs of sharp turns and dips etc, but it depends of how heavy the track becomes. A coastal route (like you said) was something I planned for this track at some point, but at least for now I left it out because it would have been "disadvantaged" route. I tried to balance all the different routes so that they could be driven in about the same time. Also I'm not sure how much performance would be affected if I would add more roads... But I will at least look into these possibilities :)

Thanks for commenting RC45! Yes there is definitely road details that are missing, some because of general optimization, some because I just don't know all the details :) I will be at least consider adding general warning signs of sharp turns and dips etc, but it depends of how heavy the track becomes. A coastal route (like you said) was something I planned for this track at some point, but at least for now I left it out because it would have been "disadvantaged" route. I tried to balance all the different routes so that they could be driven in about the same time. Also I'm not sure how much performance would be affected if I would add more roads... But I will at least look into these possibilities :)

You are very welcome, this track is now my number 2 favorite track. Longford67 is still number 1 because it has AI ;) - but I am really enjoying being able to strech the legs of my rFactor car.

It is a model of my real car, that I have been working on getting into rFactor for the last 2 years... this track suits it perfectly. Great timing, as the rFactor version was ready the same time the track was :lol:

rFactor version.

Realworld version.

You are very welcome, this track is now my number 2 favorite track. Longford67 is still number 1 because it has AI ;) - but I am really enjoying being able to strech the legs of my rFactor car.

It is a model of my real car, that I have been working on getting into rFactor for the last 2 years... this track suits it perfectly. Great timing, as the rFactor version was ready the same time the track was :lol:

rFactor version.

Realworld version.

That Corvette looks very neat, and a definitely a car that suits with such roads like this track :) I also saw some classic muscle car WIP models in that imageshack picture stream, are those yours too? Could you possible say something about them :D Theres nothing I would like to have more than realistic american classic cars in rF... AMC police car... nice :)

Yes, those cars are mine. I posted them in the Cannonball WIP thread.

I fear if you guys have to wait for me to get those cars in game, rFactor 4.0 will already be released :D

I will share the 3DS files with whom ever thinks they can bring the Cop car, Countach, GS convertible and GSX to the game.

Hopefully someone wiil convert the NFS Shift TransAm 455SD so we can have the hiway patrol version :D

Yes, those cars are mine. I posted them in the Cannonball WIP thread.

I fear if you guys have to wait for me to get those cars in game, rFactor 4.0 will already be released :D

I will share the 3DS files with whom ever thinks they can bring the Cop car, Countach, GS convertible and GSX to the game.

Hopefully someone wiil convert the NFS Shift TransAm 455SD so we can have the hiway patrol version :D

It would be great if there would be some one willing to bring those cars alive, I cannot do it either :( Otherwise I would have already.

Johannes, once again, thanks for an awesome layout :)

Here is a video I made a couple of years ago thrashing through nearby rural back roads and you can see that you really did capture the atmosphere and ambiance of the rural hi-ways of the Southwest.

I am having a ball with this track/map.

Great news. I have got working AIW for the track. Was quite a mission - I now know more about the AIW of rFactor than I feel comfortable discussing without sounding like a delirious coke head. :lol:

cannonballaiw2.jpg

cannonballaiw3.jpg

cannonballaiw1.jpg

I will be sharing the progress with Johannes and if he gives the go ahead will release the updates to the track and AIW.

:)

Will this be the point-to-point version or the circuit version? Will be interesting to try to beat the AI to the dock if they take the shorter but slower road through the twisties while I go the flat out (but longer) route.

Gday Johannas & RC45(Yes, they WERE nice bikes!)
Ive been trying for a while to do a 'figure-of-8' with this 'track' using the aqueduct as part of the circuit so as to make as much of the Cannonball available for continues racing.
Ive managed to make smaller circuits using the 'primary' loop (first section) both clockwise & counter-clock wise & again both incorporating the dirt sections, but when doing the '8'ball full length the rF's AIW tool cuts out just before the finish-most annoyingly, within sight of the finish.
Would you guy's or anyone else know if it's due to the wall tool being used to build the aqueduct or is it due to length & is there a way around either of these problems?
Ive already posted these questions on a different thread here at RD relating to rF's AIW/CAM Tool & Im just awaiting a reply.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you Johannas, I was hoping to have it completed before contacting you again but it's starting to bug me.
Also, I find your track(s) remind me of when I lived & worked in north Western Australia, about 800k's west/southwest of Darwin,NT.
Although, there was a lot more sand than tar-but pretty close in colouration!
Congratulations on an awesome project Johannas!
And just outta curiosity RC45, is it possible to set a video relating to a track instead of a Mod for the opening of rFactor?
Thanks guys!

I was also thinking of having the AIW line only being used by AIs, acting as oncoming traffic. :)

This was my first concept. AI set to rolling start spaced out around the desert. I have had trouble getting them to stay in the "corridor" and use their lane.

I set the AIW waypoints to 15 meters ( I am assuming this unit is meters) so I could have less than 5,000 waypoints (4,505 waypoints) for a full 67km lap. The corridors seem to be not save narrow as I edit them. Perhaps we are hitting some maximum attribute count with atrack this vast.

I removed the "HAT' tag from the open desert areas to reduce the size of the HAT file. As it is the first load takes abtou 20 minutes as it builds a new HAT file. Creating the corridors takes abotu 15 minutes as well.

I have edited the gas station so the pits are in front of each gas pump, the garage spots are laid out around the motel.

I have been concentrating on the "Cannonball One Lap of America" aspect of the track. http://www.onelapofamerica.com/
cblpc.jpg

Hopefully something decent will pan out from our efforts so we can share AIW with everyone.

I set the AIW waypoints to 15 meters ( I am assuming this unit is meters) so I could have less than 5,000 waypoints (4,505 waypoints) for a full 67km lap. The corridors seem to be not save narrow as I edit them. Perhaps we are hitting some maximum attribute count with a track this vast....

Hey RC45,
How did you manage to extend the distance between the waypoints?
I'm working on an 80km/50mile monster of my own as well as trying to figure out an AIW line of my own around here......
This might be the lil' trick I need....would you mind sharing it or passing on a link to where I can find out how to?
Thanks heaps,
BLeeK

From within ISI's AIW editor set the waypoint spacing under the "unsupported options' menu. Or you can edit the (dont have rFactor in front of me now) "Waypoint distance" line item in the AIW file. Default value is 5. If you edit that value, that is the value used by the AIW editor when you launch it.

The catch 22 here is that with 15m waypoint spacing, sharp turns only have 1 or 2 way points assigned so the AI really want sto cut the corner, even with a narrow corridor set. That and the 'racing line" is a series of 15 straight lines around the corner - really irritating to look at.

It does not seem easy to just "add" or "remove" waypoints on the fly, as each way point references the WP before and after itself.

I am attempting use a 15m way point spacing, then record some 5m way point spaced corners, and splice them into the WP file.

The hugely time consuming deal here is I am deleting up stream WP's on the straight leading into the corner so i can reuse WP numbers.

I tried the "add WP between" option in the AIW editor, but it does not seem to work.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back