Cannon Simulation Technologies (CST) | Official Support Thread

RaceDepartment is proud to announce Cannon Simulation Technologies (CST) has found a new home in our forum. For any of you not aware, CST manufactures high-end pedal systems that are considered top-of-the-line in our industry. These pedals are used by many professional drivers as part of their sim racing systems, and also, because of their highly realistic feel, consider them an essential component of their simulation training and practice for real-world racing.

This forum will be moderated by CST's CEO and Chief Engineer, Todd Cannon.

Hello all, I have a few questions for you. When it comes to a sequential shifter, how important is realism to you? Would you prefer one that basically gets the job done or would you rather have one that feels like the real thing? What about actual gear changing? Would you want a gear position on the shifter to match up with the gear in the sim? In other words, if you were in a car with a 6 speed sequential gearbox, would you want to have a physical gear match the sim gear? What if when the shifter hit 6th gear and when you try to upshift again, there was not another gear to catch? How about the realistic chance to miss a shift if not done properly? Are these types of things important to you or only in theory? Why am I asking all of these questions? I am working hard to put the finishing touches on my new CST sequential shifter. In order to give the most realistic feel and operation, I have replicated the internal shift drum mechanism of a real sequential gearbox. You will have the option to use a mode where it is possible to miss a shift (mechanically and in the sim) if not done properly. You can mechanically "program" the shifter to be set up with any number of gears up to 6. You can also set it up to be continuous so you can upshift or downshift without running out of gears mechanically. The resistance of the shift action is adjustable so you can dial it in. I ask these questions to try and get a feel to see if these types of things are desired or not. I hope to have pics, specs, prices, etc soon. I will be offering it in a standard style (short straight handle) and in the Australian V8 Supercar style (long offset shaft). If you are interested in being placed on my list for email updates for the shifter, just send me an email to tcannon2@cox.net. Thanks in advance for your feedback! Todd

Upvote 0
wow Todd that is very interesting. What about an H-Gated shifter? Is that in the works as well?

Also, I know you're busy, but can you give us a brief update on what is happening with your FFB wheel project?

Upvote 0
I am also working on a gated shifter as well. It will probably be ready by early spring. The FFB wheel has been a stop and go project. But it is now moving forward again. If things go well, I am hoping to have a preproduction unit completed by this spring. This project is too important to rush it out the door. It is much harder to correct problems after they are already out in the field. I just want to make sure it is the best I can make it. Thanks, Todd

Upvote 0
I have not yet set the price. There are still a couple of unknowns regarding parts. I hope to have the pricing for the shifter set within a week. The wheel pricing will probably not be set for a few months. Thanks

Upvote 0
Cst owners I need some help

I have a fresh install os win7 64b. I loaded rfactor, gtr2, gtr evo. My pedals do not work in the controller settings, but you can see the cst pedals working in the diy view software after calibrating them. Then I installed cm F1 2010 game and they work perfectly. Has any one experienced this? Also I did hook up my old Intel dual core machine and my pedals work in the games. So is there a conflict with amd?
If you can help I would appreciate it.
Thanx

Beck
pc specs
Amd Phenon quad
8g's mem
Ati hd 6850

Upvote 0
Got my CST pedals and all I can say is WOW.....

knocked a quick cockpit up to mount them, hadn't even mounted wheel when I took these. Will post more when I've done some more to the rig.
Have the stiff brake upgrade and as you can see the large brake pedal upgrade as well.

ca961c34.jpg

002586fd.jpg

ad0587be.jpg

Upvote 0
CST Pedals Review

This review covers the CST3-R with the Stiff Brake Upgrade, I also had the large brake pedal face added as one of my favourite forms of motorsport is Aussie V8 Supercars. I’ve been sim racing on the pc for about 6 years, before that a PS console racer and have owned nearly every mid priced wheel & pedal set sold, everything from a Jordan F1 wheel to a Logitech G27, including a set of Fanatec Clubsports. I’ve modded nearly every set I’ve owned as the brake was always a letdown, that ended today.

I opened the box to be met by huge mass of polystyrene squiggles, carefully I removed the heavily bubble wrapped package from the box and unwrapped about 10 layers of bubble wrap. So no worries with how they where packed. Still finding stray bits of packing now, warning it goes everywhere no matter how careful you are.

The CST pedals themselves are a work of art, solid steel, beautifully powder coated and bulletproof build quality with big fat shiny springs. I had the stiff brake upgrade as I wanted a firm brake and with some adjustment of the preload spring the feel I now have is amazing.

All of the pedals can be adjusted with both pedal face depth and width being a fairly simple operation. Undoing a nut for the depth and loosening the collars on the rods for spacing. Preload on the pedals can also be fully adjusted by tightening/loosening the nut at the back of the brass washer, again a simple operation. Adjusting the throw on the clutch/throttle is slightly more involved, but still fairly simple.

In the pics I had the pedals mounted completely straight I’ve since angled the back down so I’m pressing down more than away, this has given me even better feel with the brake. The brake uses a 30kg load cell, a 60kg is available as a High Pressure upgrade and as previously mentioned I had the stiff brake upgrade added which makes the pedal itself harder to press with less travel simulating a real race car.

So cockpit done (Had to make new front end as previous was 4mm to narrow) and pedals attached, I fired up the pc and did the calibration. This, when you first read it in the manual sounds confusing, once you start doing though it’s not that hard. Calibrating the clutch/throttle are the same with only a slight difference to doing the brake.
10mins later and I fire up rFactor, program the pedal inputs and hit the track. Leave the pits and floor it heading to my first corner, hit the brakes and a huge smile breaks across my face, OMG these things are amazing I hit the limit of traction and just backed off the pressure slightly and my car slowed up so quick I did a mirror, signal, manoeuvre round the corner, oops these thing are going to take a bit of getting used to as braking is so improved. Hitting full lock up and then releasing slightly to get max speed degradation is a lot easier with these than any other pedal set I have ever used.

It hasn’t made me quicker (yet) over a single lap but has given me a consistency over a race distance that before I could only dream of and a confidence in the virtual car I’m driving like never before. Paired up with my DIY BMW sequential shifter, G27 wheel and Eyefinity set up I think I’ve found sim racing nirvana and haven’t smiled so much sim racing in ages.
Pros
· Build Quality
· Load Cell Brake
· Upgrade Options
· Easy to Adjust
· Great Customer Support
· Best Pedals I’ve Owned

Cons
· The only con I have is that the rods that go across slightly flex when you brake, you don’t notice it when racing but you can see it.

So do I recommend these, you bet I do, would I recommend dealing with Todd at CST definitely. If you’ve been thinking about getting these hit the order button, you won’t regret it.

http://www.cannonsimulationtechnologies.com/category-1.htm

:D :D :D

Upvote 0
Awesome review Will! I've asked Todd for information about his pedals and he was more than helpful. I think this review just about has me sold on these pedals. I've also seen that Todd has Obutto cockpit brackets to install these pedals to the cockpit so that'll be something that I need to get as well. Just got to save up for them now. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you Todd and CST!
I am anxiously looking for parts for my DIY Pedal set. I am looking forward to building my own set for my new cockpit project. It can be seen here http://www.racedepartment.com/sim-racing-hardware/25-show-your-cockpit-131.html#post742488 I am hoping to do the F1 hanging style for the current build and if I like them as much as I expect, I will be contacting Todd to see if it would be ok to put them in my suprs.net supermodified simulators! Thanks for the quick response getting the DIY guide.

Upvote 0
I built the DIY pedals back in 2006 on an XP computer.

How can I get these pedals to be recognized on a W7 64 or 32 bit system?

Any help would be appreciated,

Tom

Do you have a BU0836-LC controller?

If you do just go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Select the BU0836-LC's joystick icon and right click on it > choose "Game Controllers" and a window pops up > Choose BU0836-LC and click on "Properties" > Click on the Settings Tab > Choose "Calibrate"

Then just follow the pop ups that come after to calibrate.

It might take a few tries as it can be a little weird sometimes.

Upvote 0
Tom, if you are using a BU0836 chip from Leo, then you will need to purchase a new one to get it to work on Win7.

The older one you have will not work other than on WinXP and cannot be flashed to the newer firmware.

Upvote 0
Tom, if you are using a BU0836 chip from Leo, then you will need to purchase a new one to get it to work on Win7.

The older one you have will not work other than on WinXP and cannot be flashed to the newer firmware.

I did some googling and couldn't find that info anywhere. If that's true, then that really sucks :eek:

@Tom, Was it recognized in "Devices and Printers"?

Upvote 0
After much pondering, I have decided to get the Clubsport F1 wheel and a set of pedals. The pedals will be the Fanatecs or the CST's, but I am having trouble finding reviews of the CST-2B or 3B pedals anywhere.

Anyone here have experience with the CST pedals and care to let me know how they perform? I appreciate it. Thanks

crank

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back